JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm sure that the owner is real nice, but one of the guys I bought a rifle from was a jerk. I understand they have buisness flowing in and they must keep up with demand, but I was an honest buyer and he wasn't at all interested in my buisness.

I still purchased the rifle.. but I think it has changed my opinion on Keith's.

They were supposedly holding an M-4 for me so after my hour and a half drive up there, they said oh we sold that gun ten minutes ago. Thats not my only bad experience, and I did have one good experience there, but I will not give them my business anymore.

I don’t live near Portland, but was in Keiths once last summer, and plan on returning. I must be one of those lucky ones who seemed to have too many sales people wanting to wait on me. Must be because I can go during the week. I’ve seen stuff on other forums about Keiths, and it seems about 50-50 positive and negative. Sure liked their selection tho, which is why I will hit them when I’m up there in the next month or two. Nothing to look at down here. All my looking gets done online.

I do have to wonder if there is a place in Portland where one can rent and shoot without becoming a member?

I don’t live near Portland, but was in Keiths once last summer, and plan on returning. I must be one of those lucky ones who seemed to have too many sales people wanting to wait on me. Must be because I can go during the week. I’ve seen stuff on other forums about Keiths, and it seems about 50-50 positive and negative. Sure liked their selection tho, which is why I will hit them when I’m up there in the next month or two. Nothing to look at down here. All my looking gets done online.

I do have to wonder if there is a place in Portland where one can rent and shoot without becoming a member?

Why yes, there is!

Thanks. Since I posted this last night, I’ve found the Clackamas Sheriffs place. Looks like a nice facility, and people in another thread say they rent guns, but not a single word about that on their web site. Guess I’ll have to email them with that question. I’d just like a chance to shoot something I’m interested in before buying. Something not possible where I am, and it’s a very long drive to Portland, and not something I do more than once or twice a year in the summer.

Thanks. Since I posted this last night, I’ve found the Clackamas Sheriffs place. Looks like a nice facility, and people in another thread say they rent guns, but not a single word about that on their web site. Guess I’ll have to email them with that question. I’d just like a chance to shoot something I’m interested in before buying. Something not possible where I am, and it’s a very long drive to Portland, and not something I do more than once or twice a year in the summer.

They have a very good selection of handguns to rent.

They have a very good selection of handguns to rent.

Thanks. I sent them an email earlier. I wonder if they will answer. I’ll probably check them out while I’m up there. It would be cool to shoot something I’ll probably never get a chance to shoot otherwise, and it could help me decide on whether to purchase or not. I’m not crazy about heavy recoil. I shoot .38's in my .357 mostly cause I don’t care for the recoil of the .357. I’m quite comfortable with 9mm, but I’d like to try some .40 and .45 ACP. I like full size hand guns. Not into compacts, and I don’t carry. Just a target and tin can shooter.

I would really call keith's. it's the fastest way to get an answer. I had an odd experience with them last weekend. I bought stuff from there before with no problem. I wanted a specific used gun this time and they told me the gun i wanted (used) was brought to the gun show at the expo center. went to the gun show and it was not at keith's stand nor was it ever there! The guy at the stand told me to try the actual store:confused:...oh well. hit and miss i guess.

I got a reply from email to the Clackamas Sheriffs range. Here is what they said.

We do rent guns but you must have a working firearm with you to do so. We also have a sig. 229 in 40.

Wayne

Why I have to have a working firearm with me to be able to rent is kind of confusing. I hadn’t planned on taking one with me on the trip, but I guess I’ll have to if I want to rent something. Anyone know why they have that policy?

I don’t see the need to call Keiths. I’ll be stopping there anyway, and if they don’t have what I want to look at specifically, they will have things to look at, and I’ll probably purchase some ammo while I’m there. Their shelves were well stocked when I was in there last summer, and shelves down here were bare.

I got a reply from email to the Clackamas Sheriffs range. Here is what they said.

We do rent guns but you must have a working firearm with you to do so. We also have a sig. 229 in 40.

Wayne

Why I have to have a working firearm with me to be able to rent is kind of confusing. I hadn’t planned on taking one with me on the trip, but I guess I’ll have to if I want to rent something. Anyone know why they have that policy?

I don’t see the need to call Keiths. I’ll be stopping there anyway, and if they don’t have what I want to look at specifically, they will have things to look at, and I’ll probably purchase some ammo while I’m there. Their shelves were well stocked when I was in there last summer, and shelves down here were bare.

Kieths is really expensive as far as ammo goes, usually. What caliber are you looking for? I guarantee I can tell you a local place for whatever you need that's far cheaper than them, unless you are dead-set on supporting them, then more power to ya man!

I cant remember why the sheriff's range requires you to being your own firearm. I always guessed it was so felons couldnt just step in and rent a gun? I dont know. I'm sure they have a good reason, those guys are awesome, I just cant justify the fees/in-house ammo prices.

We do rent guns but you must have a working firearm with you to do so.

Once or twice a year I read about a suicide at a gun range by a non-gun-owner. This policy is probably meant to deter that.

Bruce

Kieths is really expensive as far as ammo goes, usually. What caliber are you looking for? I guarantee I can tell you a local place for whatever you need that's far cheaper than them, unless you are dead-set on supporting them, then more power to ya man!

I live in a fairly remote location, and I usually have to order ammo online, so walking into a place I can actually buy ammo is kind of a luxury. If their ammo is expensive, I’ll bet it’s still cheaper than paying shipping. For now, I’m mostly looking for .22 and 9mm, and maybe some .223 or 5.56 if the price is good.

I cant remember why the sheriff's range requires you to being your own firearm. I always guessed it was so felons couldnt just step in and rent a gun? I dont know. I'm sure they have a good reason, those guys are awesome, I just cant justify the fees/in-house ammo prices.

That range is run by the Clackamas Sheriff department. They can look you up in a nano second to see whether you are a felon or not, and probably also see how many guns and which guns you have bought recently. Bringing a gun with you so you can rent doesn’t distinguish a felon from good citizen. Sure seems like a strange rule.

Once or twice a year I read about a suicide at a gun range by a non-gun-owner. This policy is probably meant to deter that.

That makes some sense.

I've never bought ammo from Keith's. Why would I? But I've bought 7 guns from them, and each has been a bargain. If you need customer service in the sense of attention for extended time with lots of friendly banter, it's definitely not the place for you. But if you know what you want and can work efficiently with the staff in getting the deal done, the prices are great. That's the way Keith's staff is oriented: Get the deal done; minimize the BS.

I understand that doesn't work for everyone, and I respect that. Developing an old school personal relationship -- customer to vendor, the personal touch -- is what some people want, and I get that. I'd like that too if I could also get killer prices.

But in reality, I'm not looking to join a coffee klatch, make friends, or build a Christmas card list when I go to a gun shop. I'm also not there to finger a bunch of stuff so I can shop for it online. I just want what I know I want at a good price. Keith's has been good to me in that regard.

Well, I only get up to Portland a couple of times during the summer. It is mostly for hiking and photography in the Columbia Gorge. I fly into Troutdale, and stay in Troutdale. I don’t even go into Portland all the time. I’m not fond of driving or city traffic. I looked in the phone book last summer, and Keith’s was close and easy to get to from where I was staying. I thought they had a good selection, and being a week day, it was not busy. My first impression was good, and their prices on hand guns was far better than anything I can do down here.

I doubt a store exists that doesn’t have it’s share of people who do not like them. Obviously, Keith’s is one of them. Since I’ve only been in their store once last year for maybe 15 to 20 minutes, and didn’t buy anything, I have no opinions on them.

I don’t live near a Walmart or a BiMart. I didn’t even know BiMart sold ammo. I was in a WW gun section for the first time ever just a couple of weeks ago. Their prices and in stock ammo was good. I cleaned off their shelf of Mini-mags at $6.49 ea. It’s looking like I’ll be back in that town in a couple of days, so I’m taking a bunch of money with me. Time to stock up on .22 and 9mm, which they had an abundance of at good prices.

I have to say that I had ONE good experience at Keith's. I bought an AR-15 Bushmaster several years back and the price seemed fair with the Factory Rebates and the extra $100 Dollars off. Since then, they are outrageous! I was at the gun show in may and looked at two separate guns, a Bushmaster ACR and another long gun. Both guns were $200-$300 dollars more than the competition at the show. I am not sure what makes their guns worth so much more but they try their best to shaft you.
Also, the customer service (or Lack thereof) SUCKS!!!
Six months back I went in thinking that they would have a thigh holster by Blackhawk that I had been looking for. They did not have it but were more that willing to order it. I went ahead after talking to the salesman and listening to him tell me that there had been a table next to him at the last gun show blowing them out for $25.00. Figured how could I go wrong, He told me it would not be more than Fifty bucks but could not get me and exact Price. So after a $25.00 dollar down to order it I was on my way. About two weeks later I got the call to pick it up. I about dropped my jaw when the guy told me it would be $75.00!! WTF?? I left the store, UNHAPPY, needless to say. Ended up the next time I was at Wholesale sports they had one, $45.00.
After this experience I am done with them, their high prices, and crap customer service (if i want to have a nose turned up at me I will go hang out with the rich and famous). These people could use a hand in the "be kind to your customers" department.
I would be sure to get a firm price if you do chance it and order something from these guys, Buyer Beware!
Since then I have spent my money at Northwest Armory, fair trade-ins, fair prices, and people willing to talk to you even if to just B.S.

Wayne

They started this a few years ago after a guy came in and committed suicide with a rented gun! I guess they figure if you are coming in with a working firearm you do not have ill intentions?!

They started this a few years ago after a guy came in and committed suicide with a rented gun! I guess they figure if you are coming in with a working firearm you do not have ill intentions?!

As I said earlier, that makes sense. If you already have a gun, no need to rent one if you want to commit suicide.

Saw a video on YouTube recently where a mother and her 20 year old son were shooting at an indoor range. While he was taking aim, she shot him in the back of the head, then put her gun in her mouth, and took her own life. I don’t remember if there was any mention of rented guns or not.

I wonder if the bring your own firearm to be able to rent is a one time thing, or you have to bring one every time you rent?

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top