JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hay thread is live again:

I remember shooting these as a kid in school at OSU. Grass seed farmer I worked for one summer would pay $2 each we brought in dead off his land. Guys would spotlight off the top of the water truck driving slowly along the water on his property after work. I never did the night stuff as that farmer also had Beaver, did not want to mistake that! (plus at age 19 after working from 5AM to 8PM I was after a different beaver after work;)) Day time for sure, but wading out into the water for an overgrown rat for only a $2 bounty quickly became not worth collecting. Think the farmer knew that! He would pay $10 for a fox, almost shot one but man it was too cool of an animal to pull the trigger on:(. They ate his pheasants so the farmer hated them. I saw that fox almost every morning hunting mice in his fields, I bet that fox helped him way more than he realized.:)

Hay thread is live again:

I remember shooting these as a kid in school at OSU. Grass seed farmer I worked for one summer would pay $2 each we brought in dead off his land. Guys would spotlight off the top of the water truck driving slowly along the water on his property after work. I never did the night stuff as that farmer also had Beaver, did not want to mistake that! (plus at age 19 after working from 5AM to 8PM I was after a different beaver after work;)) Day time for sure, but wading out into the water for an overgrown rat for only a $2 bounty quickly became not worth collecting. Think the farmer knew that! He would pay $10 for a fox, almost shot one but man it was too cool of an animal to pull the trigger on:(. They ate his pheasants so the farmer hated them. I saw that fox almost every morning hunting mice in his fields, I bet that fox helped him way more than he realized.:)

Thank you for the cool story! Sounds like a good time in Corvallis. :) I might have to reach out to some farmers and see if they are interested in anyone hunting nutria on their property. Do you recall what you used to shoot them with?

I spotted one on the Deschutes while fishing near Warm Springs a couple of months ago, I was shocked to see it there, had to double take to make sure I wasn't mistaking it for a Pine Martin or something. Damn invasive, overgrown, yellow teethed, varmint!

Thank you for the cool story! Sounds like a good time in Corvallis. :) I might have to reach out to some farmers and see if they are interested in anyone hunting nutria on their property. Do you recall what you used to shoot them with?

.22LR all day. They swim with their heads on top of the water at times, easiest to spot them, and makes a good target for a quick humane kill. From shore, most shots are only like 20-30 feet.

They are everywhere there is water. I use a Ruger 22LR with a can. The farmers/ranchers/landowners love the quiet. I don't even take the kayak anymore, just walk the canals.

2019nutria.jpg 2019nutria3.jpg 2019nutria4.jpg

They are everywhere there is water. I use a Ruger 22LR with a can. The farmers/ranchers/landowners love the quiet. I don't even take the kayak anymore, just walk the canals.

View attachment 757851 View attachment 757852 View attachment 757853

Nice. Do you reach out to farmers and ask? I don't have any connections and don't want to bother people. I was thinking of finding somewhere I can legally shoot (BLM) with water or other wildlife areas you can shoot where there is water. Looking at maps made it look hard and I heard about the farms but haven't started emailIng/calling people yet. Then I found this thread and thought I would ask. Nice to see all the different people pop up and share their thoughts.

At this point I don't have a suppressor but it is something I am working on. Gotta get in line soon.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top