JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since I had to hang around the West side for the Holidays I decided to take the kayak out for a some nutria hunting. Lost count around 20. Fun day.

kayaknutria_zps467ce61a.jpg

That looks like a lot of fun, and is that a cantilever scope mount on your browning? If so where did you get that and how does it mount?
PS Nutria make great crab bait sea lions usually won't touch them.

Yes it is a Browning cantilever scope mount.
can't remember where I bought it, online somewhere.
it mounts on predrilled holes on barrel.
Yes we use them for crab bait.

Why would I cook them?

They may now be in Central Oregon. A few claim to have seen them around the Deschutes River in Bend. I guess anything is possible but if one did not know the difference an Otter could be mistaken for one.

They may now be in Central Oregon. A few claim to have seen them around the Deschutes River in Bend. I guess anything is possible but if one did not know the difference an Otter could be mistaken for one.

If it has day-glow orange incisors as long as your thumbs, it's not an otter! I sure hope that they aren't in your area yet, those things are incredibly destructive to river banks and the habitats associated with them. Good luck to you Central Oregon folks.
OP, nice photo, I liked the Browning as well! Looks like you had a lot of fun!

The ONLY reason Nutria were imported was to make a few people rich by selling "breeding pairs" to other people to raise for fur. When the pyramid was full, people just let them loose.

Since they are from South America they will never populate anything east of the Will Valley, Too cold and not enough winter food anyway.

How do you know where you can shoot them? It sounds like a great trip!

Easiest to find them when water is low in summer - they like slow moving water, sloughs, etc. Kind of common in cities and towns where there are ponds and such. In streams look for burrows (holes) in the banks. They are not all that secretive if not hunted and can be aggressive if they feel threatened.

Edit: If you are in teh OC, then possibly sloughs in the Mollalla River and the Pudding might be good possibilities. The Pudding is usually so slow it is probably ideal for nutria.

I sure hope that they aren't in your area yet, those things are incredibly destructive to river banks and the habitats associated with them.
Yep - I learned a lot about them on a couple animal shows, and one episode of Bizarre Foods where Andrew Zimmerman went to Louisiana and went on an air boat Nutria hunt. Like sagerat said though probably too cold over here for them and I doubt they could cross the mountains on their own.

Pretty cool idea in my opinion. I don't think I would try it though as I would surely drop my rifle into the water and have to go swimming after it all while being laughed at by the unharmed nutria

Saw a couple of these in the slough behind North Bend High School the other day. Looks like we've got a new past-time! FYI, I won't be hunting them behind the high school.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top