JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just had a thought? [Dangerous I know].

The M1 uses a clip not magazine.
So would hunting with 8 rounds in it be OK in Oregon?

legal-hunting-weapons-game-mammals
Haha, that'd be a thin line for sure, but remember you normally use clips to load magazines, but the M1 is it's own edge case in that the rounds feed from the clip in a pseudo internal mag.

Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges (except for western gray squirrel).

I had no idea that the western grey squirrel could contain more than 5 cartridges.

Well a magazine could be argued as the receptacle in a rifle that holds the ammo.

But I don't believe that is the intent of the law.

legal-hunting-weapons-game-mammals

The M1 Garand magazine can not hold rounds with out the clip. Get a 5 round clip and the magazine is limited to 5 rounds.

There is other firearms with magazines that hold more than 5 rounds. Using something that limits the magazine capacity is all that is needed. You can use a 30 round AR magazine for hunting if you put a block in it to limit it to 5 rounds. Magpul 5 round mags are 10 round mags with a follower that limits them to 5 rounds. You see dowels in shotguns mag tubes to limit them also.

I'd assume, either way, that it would have a certain exemption due to the the style. Similar to how there's a grey exemption to stocked pistols if they're of vintage where it was pretty damn normal (C96, etc)

The Danes contracted with Italy for replacement small parts, apparently they built entire rifles for them Too. (Edited to correct)

One Garand is never enough.

6C84A049-E80E-40C4-B26B-86D93526A35A.jpeg
That's what stacking swivels are for.

Last Edited:
My Garand is a special bird too. '43 Winchester receiver and '53 SA Barrel. A repro blond stock and all other parts were new BMB. For an ammo recommendation.
This is what I shoot in mine and everything works find and ejects properly. I'm Leary of the milsurp stuff unless I can confirm with Garand guys that the stuff isn't overpowered or CORROSIVE. I don't want to be having to pour water and stuff down my barrel right after shooting. I reload for mine and the PPU ammo is known to be good brass.

Enjoy your piece of history!

Many refer to the Beachwood stock markings as having maggots.
I see how you could disparage the Beach wood stocks if you were hoping for the CMP to sent you a beautiful walnut one.

I personally like them. And think they're quite unique.
And solid stocks.
Personally I think it's beautiful. This is a locally bought one so no worries on CMP. I think it's a little extra unique-nes going on, similar to my 1914 SMLE having beautiful, old wood that really shows how old it is, despite having very little damage.

I know. CMP wouldn't have sold a gun like this anyways. [U.S. receivers only]
I was just talking about beech wood.

There was much dislike for these stocks. And disparaging talk over on the CMP Forum when these hit our shores.

I don't see it that way.
It gives them a nice Euro twist to their history.