JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy y'all! I just picked up an M1 Garand today from a fellow user here. I was wondering if I could get some info on the parts on it. It's (unfortunately) on a C.A.I receiver, however most of the other parts are marked PB or BMB. The gas plug is marked NHC. The barrel is marked with a crown over VAR, and what also looks like a crown over OK? I'm currently disassembling it and learning my way around the rifle (And teaching myself not to get Garand thumb, and what ammo is safe to use!) so I don't have all markings yet.

Alright, got the stock off. The stock has a serial between the pistol grip and the butt of the rifle, stating serial 2325. There's a tag on the inside of the stock, in the barrel groove, with a tag that looks to say "HMAK"? "Dato" which I assume is Date, and lines to fill out info. Unfortunately it is covered with settled cosmoline and I cannot read much of it otherwise.

Congratulation! CAI receiver...it's a start.
Century Arms built these on their receivers with parts from "de-milled" parts kits. The PB and BMB are Italian (PB is Barreta) made after the war on machinery bought from Winchester. The VAR are danish replacement barrels, and are known for their accuracy if the muzzles aren't worn too much. your stock set sounds danish too. Many were made from Beech wood.
Loads of good videos out there and some great copies of original field manuals.
Big fun to shoot, get more clips!

The op rod and the bolt are marked SA, though I'm assuming that has nothing to do with the Fins like I'm used to! I know the CAI receivers are... Well they're receivers. :p I'll likely be replacing it. Every single other part so far has been marked PB or BMB. I read that the Danish used Beretta assembled Garands? Likelyhood this was a parts kit from a Danish gun?

Congratulation on you purchase. Take a class and match at DRRC learn to position shoot. They have ammo for sale
for the matches. Standing, sitting and prone.;)

M1 GARAND

CMP Armorer's Corner- Armorer's Corner - Civilian Marksmanship Program

Battle Rifle: The M1 Garand - Battle Rifle: The M1 Garand

Follower Arm ID - CMP Forum - Follower Arm Identification - CMP Forums

M1 Stock ID - M1 Garand stock identification guide

M1 Bolt Heat Lots - Known M1 garand Bolt Heat Lots

M1 Part Draw Numbers and Mfg. Dates - M1 draw numbers and manufacture dates for small parts

M1 Elevation Knobs - M1 draw numbers and manufacture dates for small parts

M1 Parts Diagram - M1 Garand Parts Diagram

M1 Garand Rifle The M1 Garand and Other Rifles, Pistols, and Ammo

Last Edited:
Yeah it sounds like you have a rifle made put together from Danish parts, does the stock have a nickel sized recess at the bottom of the pistol grip? if there is a number stamped on it that would have been to the receiver that it held since the Danish got it. The Danes also made some good ammo, that hit our shores probably 15 years.

Yeah it sounds like you have a rifle made put together from Danish parts, does the stock have a nickel sized recess at the bottom of the pistol grip? if there is a number stamped on it that would have been to the receiver that it held since the Danish got it. The Danes also made some good ammo, that hit our shores probably 15 years.
It has the stamping between the pistol grip and the butt rather than the data plate, I read there are those two styles but I can't say I'm a pro at these! Pics hitting in just a moment.

Many refer to the Beachwood stock markings as having maggots.
I see how you could disparage the Beach wood stocks if you were hoping for the CMP to sent you a beautiful walnut one.

I personally like them. And think they're quite unique.
And solid stocks.

welcome to the Garand and milsurp rabbit hole :) You've figured out there are a lot of mix-master Garands out there. It is very hard to find all original - if you do - mere mortals can't afford them. In theory, the Garand was made to swap parts across different makers - made life of the military armorers easier.

Don't shoot off the shelf full load 30-06 through it. There are aftermarket gas plugs (garandguys?) that let you shoot modern ammo. You could bend the op rod if you shoot hot stuff a lot without the modified gas plug.

They are fun - I sold my 30-06 and 8mm milsurps because my shoulder couldn't take it any more :( enjoy.

They are indeed fun to shoot, love mine.

That marking is stained beech wood, my No.4 mk2 SMLE has an expanded version of that "tiger stripe" look.

Don't worry about Garand thumb, it's literally people not inserting the clip correctly, you should be able to find a video covering it.

Lastly, feel free to upload pictures directly to the site, saves you having to put them on another service and then try linking them.

My Grandson bought a Garand. I was impressed how well he could shoot with it off the shooting bench. I on the other hand had a very difficult time with the sights due to my poor eyesight. Still fun though.
Found some load data for it and loaded some hunting rounds for him.

welcome to the Garand and milsurp rabbit hole :) You've figured out there are a lot of mix-master Garands out there. It is very hard to find all original - if you do - mere mortals can't afford them. In theory, the Garand was made to swap parts across different makers - made life of the military armorers easier.

Don't shoot off the shelf full load 30-06 through it. There are aftermarket gas plugs (garandguys?) that let you shoot modern ammo. You could bend the op rod if you shoot hot stuff a lot without the modified gas plug.

They are fun - I sold my 30-06 and 8mm milsurps because my shoulder couldn't take it any more :( enjoy.
Thank you! I'm pretty familiar with milsurp, just mostly European stuff. Only American stuff I have as a post war M1 Carbine (I believe Plainfield, can't remember off the top of my head) and a Remington Rand 1911, sadly on an Essex frame. I have a beautiful all original 1914 SMLE that I damn well love, and plenty of Mosins, hence my mention of finnish SA!