JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went the first time called. It was quite interesting, but not interesting enough to "Want' to do it again. Once I was called, going into a room to sit with 30 other people in a space meant for 18 was not to MY liking. It was going to be a trial of some poor kid that knocked a gal of here bike with his car and broke her leg. If I,m called again I will go. You can't get out of it forever. They keep after you. I've been called two other times but not needed. The worst part of it is having to go to downtown Portland. And Portland wasn't near as terrible as it is now so I hope I can get out of Portland before they call again.

I have a tip to make your jury experience less traumatic, possibly. Not sure how it works other places, but here in PDX they let me suggest a time I could more easily "fulfill my civic duty". I chose the first week of December. Dawned on me afterwards that no court is going to start some, likely to be, long drawn out trial thee weeks before the holidays.

I only open my mail once every thirty days to pay bills, so unless someone sends something requiring a signature it sits and waits. There is no law that I know of that requires me to open my mail as it arrives, so to heck with all of them! I have been done with all the hurry's in life since retiring about ten years ago they can put a bar under me and pry if they want but If it don't require a signature and I don't see it - What can they do to me after all fine me - I won't pay and don't care about a credit report Living on ssi.

Several years ago I must have missed a notification to appear. I got this call from the Sheriffs Department telling me I was in big trouble and a bench warrant was going to be issued for me. It really twisted my mind chatting with the deputy, trying to figure out how on earth I didn't receive the jury notice. After about five minutes, probably about the time the depity figured I was primed to hear how I could get out of being arrested by pulling out the ol' credit card and saving myself, I got smart. And hung up on the scamming sac-O-crap!

So today I check the mail, it had been neglected for the last few weeks. Really only ever get junk mail,neighbors mail and just random things in it. Important stuff goes somewhere else. Any ways turns out I got a jury summons. It was dated for July 2nd and said I had 7 days after recipet to respond. So needless to say it's been longer than 7 days. I plan to call in the morning and talk to someone about it. Just curious if any of you guys had any similar incidents. Just don't want to end up with a warrant over something minor. Thanks guys.
I once spoke with a Thurston County sheriff's deputy with 18 years service, and he said that in his entire 18 years he has never heard of a warrant being issued for neglecting jury duty. I wouldn't sweat it.

So today I check the mail, it had been neglected for the last few weeks. Really only ever get junk mail,neighbors mail and just random things in it. Important stuff goes somewhere else. Any ways turns out I got a jury summons. It was dated for July 2nd and said I had 7 days after recipet to respond. So needless to say it's been longer than 7 days. I plan to call in the morning and talk to someone about it. Just curious if any of you guys had any similar incidents. Just don't want to end up with a warrant over something minor. Thanks guys.
All you need to do is contact the court, tell them that you were out of town for awhile, and that you're willing to report to duty - half the people who get a jury summons never respond anyway, so they're grateful for you to serve.

OK, sort of off topic a ways, but I like telling this footnote in my life.

I've been summoned often for jury duty, but I figured I'd never be selected. Most of the time, I was quickly excused. Then one day - for a domestic violence case - the usual question/answer session didn't get me tossed. Know any LEO's? Yes (my job for over 14 years at the time, and hard pressed to name any friend who wasn't a past or present LEO). Ever been involved in domestic violence incidents? Yes (none personally, but I'd investigated several of them). At that point, the judge asked if, in my experience, all domestic violence complaints were founded. I replied that my investigations had established that some complaints were, some weren't, but all evidence was objectively reported. I'll never know what went on in that defense attorney's mind, but I was not excused. In fact, I ended up serving as jury foreman. The evidence we heard was overwhelming, so our deliberation was easy and the judge sent the defendant to prison for a couple of years.

I've been called to serve twice over the last 10 years of living in Clackamas County. Both times were just before Thanksgiving and I was told the night before that I wasn't needed.
This time I called 7/31/18 for August 1st appearance and my number was too high - again not needed. Now that I'm retired I was actually half looking forward to jury duty.

I got called for Fed Grand Jury once, I figured I would be dismissed, but they kept me!:eek:
That was a very intresting time, we met every day for about 4 hours and heard every thing from all parties involved, there was a racketeering case, a F.B.I. murder/Kidnapping and several others, the F.B.I. case was pretty unnerving the amount of evidence they had, and not all of it admissible! :eek::eek::eek:
I also got to sit on a County Grand jury for one case that lasted 3 weeks! Got to know the D.A . Pretty well, nice guy, really into bikes and guns! That was over 10 years ago, havnt been called since!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top