JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It has been a few years, but I really used to enjoy jetty/surf fishing. Loved to catch, and eat, Surf Perch, Sea Bass, Rockfish, ETC.

Due to a variety of issues, ihave not done this in the past 30 years. I would like to find some decent places between Tillamook and Ilwaco. Any tips would be appreciated.

Best,
Gary

Just below Cape Meares on the North side there is a sandy beach, if you walk south towards the Cape Meares cliff it turns from sand into some sort of conglomerate with large and small gravel... I have never personally fished there as i took my family there all the time to hunt for agates. But i have seen several families, mostly oriental fishing there, and they were slaughtering the surf perch! Probably seen them there in the spring a dozen times over the last few years and always had half a bucketful it seems. I dont know the name of the road but it is the one that hugs the south side of tillamook bay follow it all the way to the end and hang right when you cant go any further, several places to access the beach and park in among the beach homes

Just below Cape Meares on the North side there is a sandy beach, if you walk south towards the Cape Meares cliff it turns from sand into some sort of conglomerate with large and small gravel... I have never personally fished there as i took my family there all the time to hunt for agates. But i have seen several families, mostly oriental fishing there, and they were slaughtering the surf perch! Probably seen them there in the spring a dozen times over the last few years and always had half a bucketful it seems. I dont know the name of the road but it is the one that hugs the south side of tillamook bay follow it all the way to the end and hang right when you cant go any further, several places to access the beach and park in among the beach homes

Are you talking about the small beach South of the lighthouse where the water shute/flume comes out of the side of the hill on the west side of the road, and you walk down a short, fairly steep hill to get to the beach?

No i'm talking about the north end. If you take Bayocean drive out of tillamook, it follows the south side of Tillamook bay, go to the end and turn left on 3rd st. follow that down a couple blocks and the beach will be on your right. You have to walk maybe half a mile but it is flat sandy beaches and easy access. at the end of that walk is where the rocks start and where the surf perch seem to hang out on the edge of the sand and rock substrate.

Have fished the spot referenced by 1stKlass many times:s0155:

Just remember, the last two hours of the incoming tide are best, Don't be shy about using night crawlers either, you'll get some strange looks from some of the "surf perch purists" until your reeling them in as fast or faster than they are. A little shrimp oil goes along ways here, and night crawlers stay on the hook better during a long cast when compared to shrimp.

Probably no need to tell you, but use a three ounce pyramid weight tied as your farthest point, loop in two #4 bait hold hooks @ one foot increments going up the line towards the tip of the pole. Look for rip tides where the water is pulling your bait straight out so that it doesn't cause your bait to roll left or right. Also, you don't necessarily need to cast to Japan either, they'll be feeding in the tumult of the waves, sometimes in three feet or less. If you see seals and shore birds feeding in close, get your line out there, your not the only one that is looking for dinner,, tight lines.

Well i was skeptical to post here but "theres plenty of fish in the sea" lol.
Ok well just south of Charleston about 1 mile turn towards the coast on 'coos head rd' Short slightly windy road takes you to a dirt parking area on the south jetty. You will see the jetty right in front of you, can't miss it. It's about 1/4 mile walk until you hit the beach. From the beach to the end of they jetty i usual walk about half way and fish on the harbor side with a similar surf perch rig but use bank sinkers 2 or 3 oz, and a hook just big enough to string on a sand shrimp (don't worry about the lings they will eat the smaller fish you're reeling in) lol. And many people who just target the lings will go to the very end and use shrimp, cut bait, or large jigs. Always successful there but lose a fair share of gear. Also if you go clear to the end try to pick a calmer day and be safe because its pretty rough out there.
On this south jetty there are massive kelp fields that rise all the way to the surface (Easy to snag and lose gear) BUT hold lots of fish! The last 2 times i was here we limited out on greenling cab and ling cod, and also watched a whale swimming around in the harbor.

I hooked a coho out there a few years ago on sand shrimp (completely out of season) after i got it close enough to see the flashes of silver with the head shake (realizing what i had hooked) i cut my line. but dang when they come out of that water are they gorgeous.

I use to fish the south jetty on the harbor side for silvers. When they are running I have seen 100 people out there and half of them have a fish on at the same time. You can tell when they are running past the jettey by watching the people hook up right on down the line. It is very precarious though so be carefull. It's a good idea to have a very long handled net and a second person to handle it while you are trying to land the fish. Use a bobber with a 2 oz weight just off the bottom and a herring on a 2' or 3' line, off of a tripple swivel, 2' or 3' up from the weight. I use to go out to the end but it's a long walk. I think pretty much anywhere along the jetty is ok when the silvers are there. Enjoy, I know I did.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top