JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have this little thing, given to me long ago. I've only kept it because I don't know what else to do with it. It actually functions well with the right ammo, but it's just not my kind of gun.

I could sell it on Gunbroker, but I just don't see it as worth my time. I could try to sell it on here, but again, hardly worth the time, and I'd feel bad about passing on something so bad to someone else.

So, out of curiosity I look on eBay and see "part kits" selling. Numerous sold, Jennings J22 broken down for parts, all parts except the frame, $99 plus shipping!

I don't get it. Why would people pay more for the parts than the whole gun is worth? For a gun with such a poor reputation? It seems wrong, but I may just strip it down for parts.

In all these decades, I've shot dozens upon dozens of guns, and only two blew up, as in were catastrophically destroyed with factory ammo. One was my father's Jennings. My brother (number two in the tribe) bought one the same time my father did. He reported a similar self-destruction in the forests of southern Oregon many moons ago. I'm most certainly not a gun snob, not even remotely, but I wouldn't except one for free, because knowing myself, I'm so wacky I'd eventually shoot it, and maybe that kaboom might do more damage.

Youthful memories aside, why not send it into Numrich's? They cut you a check for the parts and handle all the logistics and, based upon my experience, will provide funds pretty close to those figures. Easy-peasy. Good luck, friend. :s0155:

Wow, if it was me I would give it a shot. Nothing to lose by trying. I have to "guess" there must be a lot of these pistols still floating around and people want parts for them. That is amazing that the parts sell for that much but what the hell. Give it a try and if the parts sell you could just destroy the frame.

I think I'll do that; list the parts on eBay and trash the frame if it sells. As a non-FFL, it's much easier for me to sell and ship non-regulated parts. I can see how Numrich would be easier for an FFL, but I'd still have to deal with shipping a firearm.

When I say it's not worth my time to sell it as a firearm, I don't mean to imply that I'm so well off and important that I don't need the money. That's not true at all, but if it comes to driving an hour to meet someone at an FFL for a transfer, then it's really not worth it for a gun like this.

I still can't imagine why anyone would pay much for parts for a junk gun, but to each their own.

BTW, about 20 years ago, a friend paid way too much for a Jennings 9mm. It blew up in his hand, with factory ball ammo. It was a new gun with a warranty, but he just gathered up the parts and threw them in the trash.

My wife's ex boyfriend (well before our marriage) killed himself with a Jennings 22lr after getting his 3rd drunk driving arrest. The cops figured it jammed twice before the fatal shot was delivered. He got two shots off, jammed both times before being able to empty the res of the mag. Not a quality choice for that purpose.