JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$500
Manufacturer
Ithaca
Caliber
12 Gauge
City
Lorane
State
Oregon
Zip Code
This classic from Ithaca has been a favorite since it's introduction , especially due to several unique features not available from any of it's competitors. On this particular example, there is an after-market recoil pad with white-line spacer. Looks professionally done and would be desirable to anyone except the many collectors who like absolutely no alterations to the factory original. The wood on this shotgun is factory checkered walnut, but on both the buttstock and the fore end, all checkering has been worn smooth, indicating that this shotgun has been on many, many hunts. There is an unusual (from my experience) grip cap depicting a silvery buck's head with a red metallic-looking background inside of the black plastic ring. I don't know if that is original or aftermarket, but I've heard that some states like Ohio only allow deer hunting with a 12-gauge slug because rifle rounds travel too far, and that Ithaca M37's were favorites from Ohio across Pennsylvania and up into New York state where they were manufactured, and of course, elsewhere. The receiver is lightly engraved with waterfowl on one side and Pheasants on the other. The blueing on the receiver and on the barrel shows wear from age, friction of the action cycling, and tiny blood spatterings from a successful hunt. The barrel is 30" long with a full choke and has a full-length vented rib with a hi-viz bead sight. This shotgun is not particularly impressive to look at, but it ejects it's fired casings straight down toward your shoes instead of directly across your line of sight like most shotguns, making this model very popular among left-handed shooters. Ammunition capacity is four plus one, and yes it is capable of controlled "slam-fire," which has only added to the M37's popularity. It has been cloned by Norinco, the Chinese gunmakers, which is another testament to the popularity of the Ithaca M37. I fell in love with this model after reading Peter Hathaway Capstick's book "Death In The Long Grass," in which, as a game warden in the African Veldt, an Ithaca M37 was his firearm of choice for seeking out and confronting an injured leopard that he was obliged to deal with.
So, whether you need a shotgun for waterfowl, pheasants, bucks, or leopards, or home defense, an Ithaca M37 is a lot more impressive that it's humble appearance suggests.

PXL_20240409_012704378.jpg PXL_20240409_012753496.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
In Ithaca, just down the hill from the Cornel campus is a building that used to have a sign on it that said "Ithaca Gun" before it was turned into a dorm/ apartment housing. Always wondered when they moved / closed.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.