JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw this on outdoorstrader.

Pistol grip, converted from origional stock. Sawed off barrel, looks shorter that 18"

So would this be registered as an aow? Or does the seller just not know he has an illegal sawed off shotgun? Or is this legal somehow, due to age?

Looks cool enough to have as a truck gun. Seller only wants $100......... So what's the scoop for legality. NFA or not?

See ad:
Older Shorty Shotgun/$100 - Firearms : Shotguns

How I read the law is... and this is for shotguns: so long as the barrel is 18" or more, no special requirements for pistol grips or folding stocks.

From the looks of it, the barrel could be and probably is 18". It just looks shorter because it goes clear back to the end of the receiver.
Below is a Mossberg Persuader minus the heat shield to give you an idea. No tax stamp needed (here).

Persuader.gif

They must have at least an 18" barrel and a minimum overall length of 26" to be a pistol/normal shotgun. If its shorter then this in any measurement then its a AOW as long as it came form the manufacturers without a stock. If its ever had a stock on it then it can only be short barrel shotgun. The 18" starts at the back of the barrel. My brother use to have one, there cool but kick hard. They are worth about $150 max and are more for the fun factor, not the practical factor.

I would say the ad is not for a NFA item, and is a normal shotgun.

This is a NFA item.
Lupara.jpg

They must have at least an 18" barrel and a minimum overall length of 26" to be a pistol/normal shotgun. If its shorter then this in any measurement then its a AOW as long as it came form the manufacturers without a stock. If its ever had a stock on it then it can only be short barrel shotgun. The 18" starts at the back of the barrel. My brother use to have one, there cool but kick hard. They are worth about $150 max and are more for the fun factor, not the practical factor.

I would say the ad is not for a NFA item, and is a normal shotgun.

This is a NFA item.
Lupara.jpg

Good info. If the shotgun came from the factory with a pistol grip it could be registered as an AOW for $200 and a $5 transfer fee. If it came from the factory with a stock it can only be a SBS, like the one I made on a form 1 below.

IMG_5190.jpg

The one you pictured may very well have a 18" barrel.

Good info. If the shotgun came from the factory with a pistol grip it could be registered as an AOW for $200 and a $5 transfer fee. If it came from the factory with a stock it can only be a SBS, like the one I made on a form 1 below.

IMG_5190.jpg

The one you pictured may very well have a 18" barrel.

I love this weapon, WELL DONE!!!! Factory shipped shotguns without a stock are extremely rare anymore so really its pretty dificult to find a shotgun AOW with the small $5 transfer. Pretty much any short (under 18" barrel) shotgun around is going to be an SBS thus subject to the $200 transfer. This has been my experience since starting to research the subject about 6 months ago.
Happy blasting!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads