JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to the suppressor world but here's what I want to suppress:

Savage 110 FCP-K 300 WM
Savage 10 FCP-K 223/5.56
Savage Mark II FV 22LR

The FCP-K's have Muzzle brakes and I believe they are threaded 5/8-24. The Mark II has a bull barrel and I would get it threaded to the same.

I understand that if I got a suppressor that could work for the 300 WM it would probably be huge on the 22LR but other than the size issue and getting one that can be cleaned is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

I may just get a .22 silencer for my Mark II and my Ruger Mark III pistol if the above isn't feasible but ideally it would be cool to only have to buy one suppressor.

What do you mean by "a lot of pressure"?

I want to use the .30 cal can on the .22 - I would think that there would be less pressure with the .22. But then again I don't know anything about silencers.

You've got several issues that you're running up against.

The first you've already touched on- size.

The second issue is the leading that occurs in cans that have .22 lr run through them as a result of lead vapor deposition. When you shoot your 300WM over the top of that leading, you'll get exposed to a bunch of lead vapor because of the increased heat and pressure from the 300WM round- and your .223 for that matter, but I'd imagine it would be worse with the 300.

Next is your desire for a can you can disassemble and clean (which I HIGHLY reccommend for a .22 suppressor!)- any of the cans that I know of for the high pressure centerfire cartridges cannot be taken apart because they would then not be structurally sound enough to handle the pressures.

Finally, you'll run into a thread pitch issue if you ever want to use a standard .22 can on something you've threaded 5/8, although since 5/8 is a larger diameter than the 1/2x28 typically used for rimfire, you could concievably have your barrel rethreaded.

From personal experience, I'll pass along some unsolicited advice that was given to me when I started getting into the NFA game- get yourself a separate .22 can. You'll probably end up shooting it more than all your others. They were right- I use my Sparrow more than all my other cans combined.

BGRF

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll start with a .22 can as I do think it will get used the most use. It still would be cool if there was a .30 cal can that could be cleaned.

As stated at the least get a take apart .22 can and another of your choice. I wanted a .223 can for a long time but I bought a .30 cal can first. With the .30 cal you can shoot anything under .30 cal though it. I run my .30 cal on my target AR the most and it is awesome.

I currently own 3, .22 cal cans, 2 9mm cans, 1, .30 cal can. I am going to be building or buying a .45 sometime this year.

All of mine get quite a bit of use and they are a ton of fun. As it was stated it become addicting.

I did find this suppressor:

<broken link removed>

The Constitution is elegant simplicity in design, intuitive of maintain, full auto rated, take
apart, monolithic core, and made entirely of alloy steel. This suppressor was designed
for the person wanting to have a suppressor that could be used on their FN PS90SBR
that could also work on his or her 223 caliber AR15 and then switched over to their 22LR
AR upper without having to buy 2 suppressors due to the lead buildup issues of the
22LR. We have had a large number of requests for suppressors with these features. This
suppressor is intended for use on carbines and not handguns, although it will work fine
on a handgun, there are 22LR suppressors intended for handgun use that are much
lighter.... (Kodiak and Kodiak TL).

It is kind of tempting to go with this and then I can suppress everything but my 300 WM. I've got some other .22's and an AR that could probably do with some suppression.

The only problem I see with "one size fits all" cans is that they are not usually quite that.

A can that is big enough to handle .223 is going to be large and heavy on most .22 guns. The have linked is 24 oz :s0001: My .30 cal can is 26 oz. and it is very heavy on the end of a rifle. My 9mm Trident can is only 9 oz and my Outback 2 cans (both mod to take down) are 2.5 oz or 10x lighter then the one you link.

I know you are using it on all rifles so far but most .22 pistols would weigh less then that can and the sights would be covered from the large diameter.

I know on my .300 Whisper AR the difference between the 9 oz Trident and the 26 oz .30 cal is huge. With the .30 cal it is very nose heavy, with the Trident it is hardly noticeable.

Just something to think about.

Im in somewhat the same boat but looking at a 7.62 for my AK and AR in 5.56. YM makes a setup that has a threaded compensator that interfaces with their 8" can that they have available for 600 ish.

Looking into it.

Thanks for the heads up on the weight issue. I noticed that Liberty also has a 13oz 9mm take apart can that they claim can be used with 22LR and .223 (at a low rate of fire).

<broken link removed>

Mystic Multipurpose Suppressor
MSRP: 750$

Weight of suppressor: 13 Ounces

Length/Diameter : 8" x 1.375"

Material: Stainless steel / Titanium

Attachment: Multiple styles

Approx. DB Reduction: 38dB (This is with Fiocchi 158 gr 9mm
which was showing 162dB unsuppressed)

Calibers : 9mm, 22LR, 300/221, 300BLK, 357 MAG, 338 Spectre

There has been a lot of interest in using this unit on 223 rifles as well as the intended caliber. It can be used on 223
under limited conditions. Low rates of fire with cooling periods and no mirage covers. The use of a mirage cover
will hide the obvious indicator of the unit getting hot by producing mirage. This is a great indicator to let the
shooter know that the can needs to cool off. Also, in 223 the barrel must be at least 16" in length.

Available in one of four configurations:
1. No mount - you have the mounts you need already
2. Recoil booster for pistol use with suppressor
3. Fixed barrel mount for carbine use with suppressor
4. Adapter ring for Triad mount with suppressor

All of our mounts will also be available individually as well.

Looks like I could even use this with my Glocks.

I'm not trying to be a smart *** (but it probably seems that way) - but I don't see myself being that heavy of a suppressor user (although that may change). I just want to get one for the fun and if it works on a couple different guns that would make it "funner". ;)

I do appreciate all the points and advice.

I'm not trying to be a smart *** (but it probably seems that way) - but I don't see myself being that heavy of a suppressor user (although that may change). I just want to get one for the fun and if it works on a couple different guns that would make it "funner". ;)

I do appreciate all the points and advice.

Not smart *** at all. Got to ask to know, and search for as much info as you can.

I think you will shoot with your can more then you think. I easily do 99% of with silencers on the guns that are fitted to be shot with them. More then 75% of my shooting is done with my guns that are set up for my silencers.

One other thing I will say in the world of cans is get what you want the first time. With guns you can buy and sell and trade loosing little value. Cans are next to worthless once you buy them. Take a $500 can, add $200 tax and say $100 worth of fee's/shipping/fingerprints/passport photos/ect. Now you have spent $800. Since the can is now used you are going to have to knock at least $100 off to sell it. So now you literally own something you paid $800 for that at max is worth $400. If you sell out of state there is a second $200 transfer fee making the silencer worth $200 tops. I love my cans but learn what you want and buy what you want the first time. It may cost a little more up front but in the long run will be much cheeper.

I think you will shoot with your can more then you think. I easily do 99% of with silencers on the guns that are fitted to be shot with them. More then 75% of my shooting is done with my guns that are set up for my silencers.

After you start shooting with a silencer you'll find you won't like shooting without them. The only time I shoot without is if someone wants to hear the difference, then it quickly goes back on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top