JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will 300BLK become a staple like 223 and 556?

• Total voters
Reactions
Last summer I bought a 300blk as a first rifle purchase and at the time my friends who are gun enthusiasts thought it was a bad purchase because the ammo was so expensive compared to the 22L, 223, and 556, but to be honest I just wanted to be different because none of them owned one.Lol! I've only took my 300blk out 3x since I've bought it.
So when I was looking for ammo(before the COVID-19 thing happen) to get ready to take my son shooting at the range on spring break I noticed the ammo was comparable to the 223 and 556, I thought 300blk would be a niche round but is it gaining popularity?

On the face of it, .300blk can give 5.56 a run for it's money. Since only a rebarrel is necessary to put it on the line, looks to ME (not an expert, a guy who still thinks the AKm 7.62x39 is the cat's meow) it looks to me as if it could very well be the next cartridge for the US military and be a very useful round for civilians and mil as well.
Knowing that the military could screw up a wet-dream, hard to say what will happen. A referbed M4 set up in .300 might well be the way to go cost-wise, but the military may have different ideas. The round has been SAAMI since 2011 so it should be good to go with the cartridges already in use.
One drawback for civilian use is the extreme cost of a box of 20... But military acceptance of a SAAMI NATO standard would really kick it into high gear availability-wise. What they will do is anyone's guess!
I'm a FOG, so if the military dropped the 5.56, I'd slurp up and shoot the surplus 5.56 on the market! Im sure it would be around as long as I'm likely to need it...:s0017:

Last Edited:
I haven't found 300BLK ammo to be comparable to .223 unless we are talking similar type ballistic tip ammo?

I just bought some 220gr hp yesterday for $18/box which seems about ballpark for most 300BLK

Point is ~$1.00 per trigger pull vs $0.25 for .223

I don't think so. I hear of people owning them, but none of the people I know by name. I also never see who purchased the ammo, though they must be there or nobody would stock it. And sice an AR type weapon can be almost any caliber with a quick upper change, so long as that caliber fits in a standardized size mag, I'm not sure just swapping a barrel is really that advantageous overall. YMMV

I haven't found 300BLK ammo to be comparable to .223 unless we are talking similar type ballistic tip ammo?

I just bought some 220gr hp yesterday for $18/box which seems about ballpark for most 300BLK

Point is ~$1.00 per trigger pull vs $0.25 for .223
Back then the cheapest round I found at the time was $0.72 for a box of 20 147gr now I've recently bought some for $0.20 and $0.45 a round. The 220gr one I've seen is $0.60 for a box of 30 still not bad for which I'm sure last summer it was over $1.00 a round.

I have a couple 300B pistols, lots of fun to shot. Bought them as home defense and truck guns but with red dots on them they usually go to the range with me, their kinda like beer and popcorn, once you start, you can't stop. The cheapest bullet is twelve cents, plus three cents for primer and a little powder. Should get cheaper when I start casting my own. I highly recommend getting one once the panic is over. Mho.

Its .50/rd online up until a few weeks ago.

Wolf is going to starting importing steel case at .20/rd, then I think we will really see it take off. Gonna be hard for them to keep it on the shelves at that price.

20190720_191711.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads