JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here is my letter, feel free to copy, paste, personalize and send it:

OFF link to letter requirements: Gun Ban Comments Swamp Secretary of State - Oregon Firearms Federation

Copy of my letter:

Oregon Attorney General C/O

Oregon Secretary of State

255 Capitol Street NE Ste. 501

Salem, OR 97310

Subject IP 44 Draft Ballot Title dispute

Dear Attorney General Rosenblum and Secretary of State Richardson,

As an Oregon Elector I would like to file a complaint with your office regarding the incomplete language of the IP 44 Draft Ballot Title Caption. An important part of the proposed law in IP 44 requires that if a weapon is stolen or lost that it's required that the theft or loss of the weapon be reported with in 24 hours or owner will be subject to a violation of the law. While the Draft Ballot Title Caption did mention loss of a weapon it did not mention theft of a weapon which is a much more likely event to happen. Especially given that under the proposed law in IP 44, failure to report a theft of a weapon is violation of the law, it's important for Oregon Electors to know what they are signing for when Circulators are requesting a signature and when voting for a ballot measure. Requirement to report theft needs to be included in the Caption for IP 44 as theft and loss are identified as two separate issues in the body of the language of IP 44. I am asking that the Draft Ballot Title Caption be revised to include theft reporting requirement.

If you also want to write a Procedural Complaint letter to SOS, here is one idea:

Oregon Secretary of State

255 Capitol Street NE Ste. 501

Salem, OR 97310

Subject: Complaint regarding failure of Initiative Petition 44 Draft
Ballot Summary to comply with Oregon Law, specifically ORS 250.035 (2)
(d)

Secretary Richardson,

As an Oregon Elector I am writing to register a complaint with your office regarding Initiative Petition 44 and the failure of the initiative to comply with procedural requirements of Oregon Law ORS 250.035 (2) (d) which requires the ballot title summary for state measures to provide a concise and impartial statement:

The current summary does not reasonably identify in a concise manner the time period in which a weapon that is stolen or lost is suppose to be reported as such. The text of the summary reads: "must report theft or loss of firearm to law enforcement within 24 hours;" There is no reference to identify when this 24 hour time period begins. I am asking that Initiative Petition 44 in its current form be rejected so that it can be revised to conform to the requirements of ORS 250.035 (2) (d).

Thank you for your consideration on this matter

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews