JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was my Dads carry piece for years. 1950 Colt Commander. Looking it over I noticed it has a scroll error on the right hand side. Thought it was cool was wondering how common it is to have mis marked older Colts like this?

07FC4B47-8100-4ECB-A3A6-9E391F8DF984.jpeg 18678875-6BB1-4E1A-9D69-1A6D9917D744.jpeg

Worn stamping on the "C"...?
Looks like the "C" is there...but faint.
Worn stamping or a mis-strike or the like is not too unusual to see on firearms.

Super cool pistol....:D
Andy

Looking closely it definitely doesn't look like it's worn… looks like it was never struck. But who knows could have been at some point. Thanks, it's a really cool pistol that has a lot of sentimental value.

Nice gun!
I'm only a little jealous. :)

I can make this pic pretty large and I think they forgot a letter!

Can't be worth anything. Olt's didn't last long. :s0114:

If you carefully look at this 1951 Colt Commander's roll marks, you will notice that the letter "S' is in line with the ejection ports cutout,
but your Commander is in line with the letter "M".
I think the roll mark wheel was out of index when it was embossing the slide.

1674283961228.png

This was my Dads carry piece for years. 1950 Colt Commander. Looking it over I noticed it has a scroll error on the right hand side. Thought it was cool was wondering how common it is to have mis marked older Colts like this?

View attachment 1349580 View attachment 1349581
Well your mom probably disliked the "C" word cause it was dirty so she decided to clean it off.

MV5BNGIxZjlmN2QtMGM2MC00ZmY4LWFkZTMtYTc4ZTg1OTUyMGFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc3NDgwNzU@._V1_.jpg 1674290575515.jpeg

The barrel of a Commander slide is 3/4" shorter then a standard 1911 with a 5" barrel.
Maybe a Colt worker inadvertently used the wrong machinist jig when setting up the roll mark die.

The barrel of a Commander slide is 3/4" shorter then a standard 1911 with a 5" barrel.
Maybe a Colt worker inadvertently used the wrong machinist jig when setting up the roll mark die.

That's super interesting, I bet you are on point about that speculation!

I like the honest wear. Hopefully you do not have it refinished and instead just give it a coat of oil. It looks like your dad and you have both taken good care of it.

I like the honest wear. Hopefully you do not have it refinished and instead just give it a coat of oil. It looks like your dad and you have both taken good care of it.

Ohhh no, this gun will never be refinished. It tells a story of being trusted and carried for the last 73 years. Looking forward to adding some of my own story to it.

Ohhh no, this gun will never be refinished. It tells a story of being trusted and carried for the last 73 years. Looking forward to adding some of my own story to it.
Thats one of the most beautiful 1911s Ive ever seen. The patina on it is worth more than the most professional refinish.
I have a 26yr old Colt Commander that Ive heavily used, its patina is not even close to yours but wearing in beautifully with the old Colt Royal Bluing. When my time comes I plan to hand it down with a letter with a brief history of its use and a few adventures so whoever inherits it can tell the story into the future while adding their own.

Thats one of the most beautiful 1911s Ive ever seen. The patina on it is worth more than the most professional refinish.
I have a 26yr old Colt Commander that Ive heavily used, its patina is not even close to yours but wearing in beautifully with the old Colt Royal Bluing. When my time comes I plan to hand it down with a letter with a brief history of its use and a few adventures so whoever inherits it can tell the story into the future while adding their own.

That's a solid idea, I wish I would have talked to dad about this 1911 more. I've got
Some great stories about it but never really dove into where he got it, how long ect. Cancer took him last April and now I won't know the answers to those questions.

That's a solid idea, I wish I would have talked to dad about this 1911 more. I've got
Some great stories about it but never really dove into where he got it, how long ect. Cancer took him last April and now I won't know the answers to those questions.
Write a brief note what you have memorized down now, memories fade details over time.
I lost my dad to cancer 3 years ago, I kept his 40S&W in the family.... (short version: he actually drew that on a guy so it has a story to tell. (nothing came of that event it all worked out peacefully... :p ).
I actually plan to give a history letter with any gun I pass down.

Last Edited:
Write a brief note what you have memorized down now, memories fade details over time.
I lost my dad to cancer 3 years ago, I kept his 40S&W in the family.... (short version:) he actually drew that on a guy so it has a story to tell. (nothing came of that event it all worked out peacefully... :p ).
I actually plan to give a history letter with any gun I pass down.

That's awesome, wish these guns could share their stories. Sorry to hear about your Dad. Cancer sucks.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top