JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back then all I could ever find was the 240gr RNL. They were expensive and lacking. I found I could easily load up stuff that would give me the same those Detonics did. Still slow but still a .45 hole so I liked them. I was using a LSW since I figured with the 3 inch tube I was not going to look for expansion. I REALLY wanted the damn little .45's to work since I have always loved the 1911 but no matter what I tried the damn little pistols would now and then fail for no apparent reason. Just enough to make me worry every time I carried one. I put up with it for a long time because I wanted the design to work so bad but finally gave up. I never have been a wheel gun guy but figured those 5 rounds that I knew would work beat wondering if the damn little .45, that cost as much as 3 of those Charter .44's, would fail right when my butt was on the line:mad:
I had the same issues with a Detonics Pocket 9. When they came out I ordered one sight un seen. It was heavy as a brick and about every 4th mag one round would hang up! Never could get it right!
I now carry an Airweight 642 in 38 spl. The best ammo I have found for it is 148 gr Wad Cutters. They are Standard pressure and by no measure fast. But they cut a full caliber hole and penetrate deep! I have tried +P ammo and could not shoot the small pistol well enough to be worth it, but With Standard pressure WC's I have no problem within 30 yards.
From a 4" full size gun .357 is still a handful! Its manageable but a handful! DR

This is a lively little bugger when using 357's. Shooting 38's it's a sweetheart.
20201121_183614.jpg
The perfect carry .357 is the all steel "3 Model 13 because it is way heavier than any snubby, let alone the scandium ones but it's way lighter than many other normal "duty/carry" .357's.
I had a 65 4" that I really liked. These days I have a Model 10 heavy barrel 4" that seems to be a favorite at the firing line.

I used to own one of these; Taurus Total Titanium Model 415, 5-shot .41 Magnum

2fwww.budsgunshop.com%2fcatalog%2fimages%2f31836_1.jpg

I sold it but wish I hadn't. It was a great little gun and surprisingly was very controllable during rapid fire. The combination of ported barrel and the Ribber Grips actually did work, for me anyway. Zero muzzle rise, no lie. The thing recoiled straight back into my hand and the sights never left the target. Most bizarre thing I'd ever experienced. You knew damn well you were firing a .41 mag from a 2.5" barrel, the little nuke cloud from the barrel every shot was proof of that, but less muzzle rise than a .22LR! The trigger guard smacked the knuckle of my middle finger a few times early on, but there was no chance it would end up buried in my forehead as I'd originally feared. My 7.5" Super Blackhawk has more muzzle flip than this thing! Taurus actually got this one right.

The only negative I had with the gun, and the reason I ultimately sold it, is that the action felt rough, like the cylinder pin needed polishing, which I tried doing without much improvement. I wish I'd spent more time on it now.

I'd like to see this gun brought back, but with the action as smooth as the older S&W's used to be (like the 586 I had back in 1985). I'd buy another in a frikkin' heartbeat.

Been wanting a 3" Model 60 for a while, too. Sigh.

The perfect carry .357 is the all steel "3 Model 13 because it is way heavier than any snubby, let alone the scandium ones but it's way lighter than many other normal "duty/carry" .357's.
I agree. The 3" K Frame is perfect for .357, especially with combat grips. I like my 65 for hiking in the woods. Nothing too big and bulky, but not so light that you don't want to practice with it.

EFE1856F-187D-4E21-B642-073E799600E5.jpeg

I love my 357's. I carry a couple on my ccw permit. One a SP101 2 1/4", and a Colt King Cobra in 3". With my hand made grips I can shoot the 158g full house loads very well. I prefer 158g over any other weight bullet. My all time favorite to shoot is a 6" Blackhawk 3 screw. I had it on my permit for a time when I was lacking in guns to carry. It has a trigger pull in ounces so it came off the permit once I had a safer replacement.

I love my 357's. I carry a couple on my ccw permit. One a SP101 2 1/4", and a Colt King Cobra in 3". With my hand made grips I can shoot the 158g full house loads very well. I prefer 158g over any other weight bullet. My all time favorite to shoot is a 6" Blackhawk 3 screw. I had it on my permit for a time when I was lacking in guns to carry. It has a trigger pull in ounces so it came off the permit once I had a safer replacement.
On the permit?

.357 only makes sense to carry when you have a revolver with a long enough barrel (2.5in or more) to get the full powder burn and have the round leave the barrel at maximum velocity. If you're shooting .357 loads out of a revolver with a barrel 2 inches or less your basically getting the ballistics of 9mm with the recoil of .357, not to mention it's loud as sh*t and you'll blow out your ears in a defensive situation.

When I carry my LCR .357 I have it loaded with .38 SPC +P ammo. A 38 has less powder to burn and you can achieve the full potential of the round out of a snubby vs a .357 from a snubby.

.357 only makes sense to carry when you have a revolver with a long enough barrel (2.5in or more) to get the full powder burn and have the round leave the barrel at maximum velocity. If you're shooting .357 loads out of a revolver with a barrel 2 inches or less your basically getting the ballistics of 9mm with the recoil of .357, not to mention it's loud as sh*t and you'll blow out your ears in a defensive situation.

When I carry my LCR .357 I have it loaded with .38 SPC +P ammo. A 38 has less powder to burn and you can achieve the full potential of the round out of a snubby vs a .357 from a snubby.
You don't need "full powder burn". If you did you'd carry a carbine.

A 38 has less powder to burn and you can achieve the full potential of the round out of a snubby vs a .357 from a snubby.
This is true to a point. The 38 Special will perform at a higher percentage of it's ability out of a short barrel, but the 357 will always be faster out of any comparable barrel length.
If I still had a 2" .357 to compare with, as I'd break out the chrono and do some testing. I know that the 357 loses a lot, but it would be interesting to see exactly what that difference is.

In the 4" 65 that I used to have I preferred 125gr Magnum rounds. They kicked the least and it was supposed to be my (ex) wife's gun.
Out of my 3" 60 I haven't tried any 125gr yet, but I will. I have shot some Federal 180gr Magnums out of the 3" and they don't seem to have the snap of the 158gr. I'm talking myself into a chrono test as I type.

A fast to medium burning powder is required to get the most out of a 357 with a short barrel. Buffalo Arms does a short barrel load that they quote 1225 FPS with a 125 grain bullet. Longshot and unique are two good powders to play with for short barrel loads.

This is true to a point. The 38 Special will perform at a higher percentage of it's ability out of a short barrel, but the 357 will always be faster out of any comparable barrel length.
If I still had a 2" .357 to compare with, as I'd break out the chrono and do some testing. I know that the 357 loses a lot, but it would be interesting to see exactly what that difference is.

In the 4" 65 that I used to have I preferred 125gr Magnum rounds. They kicked the least and it was supposed to be my (ex) wife's gun.
Out of my 3" 60 I haven't tried any 125gr yet, but I will. I have shot some Federal 180gr Magnums out of the 3" and they don't seem to have the snap of the 158gr. I'm talking myself into a chrono test as I type.
In my own tests a .357 had a lot more velocity from the same short barreled gun than a 38 spl. +P. It makes a lot more sense on paper.
In real life, my arthritic hands can't take the extra juice of the magnum from a small gun. One of those times when the juice is not worth the squeeze!
From a 4" steel gun the 357 makes a lot more sense!
DR

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads