JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been thinking about those mag wells that are available for the 700.
I've seen a couple for $300 plus,and the magpul for under 100 bucks now.
So the questions I have are,are they worth the money? (For whatever YOU installed it for)
And which ones have you used and seem to work best? Best mags?
Is the magpul unit just for their hunter stock?
FWIW it doesn't matter what I'll use the gun for but it probably wont be for chasing zombies any time soon. So mostly just for convenience
My 700 is the long range rifle with the Bell&Carlson M40 tactical stock in 7mm mag
Thanks
Mike

Great question Mike! And I'm curious as well. More for magwells in general. Do they really save enough time to make them worth it? I've seen them on Glocks, AR's and other guns....but wonder if they are worth the money and the modification to the gun.

I can tell you I like the DBM on my Savage rifles. I can buy extended round mags for them but at $100 a pop for a 10 rd. I can pass. I use my Bolt guns for Deer Elk coyotes rabbits so no real need for more then the 4rds the stock mag holds. (course those are almost $50 each).

If you do any timed shooting, they can be a huge asset for quick reloads. They are also handy if you get in and out of a vehicle a lot. My predator rifle uses a detachable magazine so Im not dumping ammo on the ground 10 times a day.

They have their disadvantages too. They are never totally "drop in". Losing a magazine or leaving it at home turns your gun into a single shot. Depending on how thick the material is, you can lose OAL lattitude (Not a big deal if your rifle has a shorter throat).

Pacific tool and die makes a sweet set up, but the cost of mags is expensive. For a long action magnum, your choices in mags is going to be further limited and even more expensive! Sorry I couldn't be more help, but give Pacific a look!

I have a Magpul hunter stock and magpul mags for my Rem 700 VTR.
It's a nice set up and works great.
I do hate loading and unloading while hunting with the spring base plate set up.
Having the mag to pop in and out makes thing easier.
The mags you can get for $31-$37.

If I was getting another bottom metal and mag set up I would probably pass for the cost. If I had to pay $50-$100 per mag I would rather have the stock set up

But I think the magpul bottom metal only works with the hunter stock. Don't quote me though.

Pacific tool and die makes a sweet set up, but the cost of mags is expensive. For a long action magnum, your choices in mags is going to be further limited and even more expensive! Sorry I couldn't be more help, but give Pacific a look!

+1 for pacific tool & gauge. They have options for drop ins as well as ones that you have to relieve the stock for.

Magpul stuff mentioned above is definitely not made for dropping in to a factory size relief and in my opinion is not worth the time fiddling to make it fit! (Did it... pain in the keister)

I only deal with Pacific any more on bottom metal, as they are reasonably priced! Why would I want to spend $300 plus on other mfg bottom metal when all they did was copy Pacific's design. They are great to talk to over the phone if needed. They have a great selection online of all the different types they have.

Remington 700 Detachable Mag Bottom Metal (DBM) - Pacific Tool and Gauge
Not seeming 7mm mag as an option for their magso_O
What's wrong with these guys?:D
If I decide it's a viable option I'll contact them.
The prices look very reasonable compared to Accuracy international.
Still $200 for this? Not sure if that's worth it

I have a Magpul hunter stock and magpul mags for my Rem 700 VTR.
It's a nice set up and works great.
I do hate loading and unloading while hunting with the spring base plate set up.
Having the mag to pop in and out makes thing easier.
The mags you can get for $31-$37.

If I was getting another bottom metal and mag set up I would probably pass for the cost. If I had to pay $50-$100 per mag I would rather have the stock set up

But I think the magpul bottom metal only works with the hunter stock. Don't quote me though.
Had to quote you cause you told me not to

I considered it but the turn off was the cost of the magazines. It's like buying a car then finding out all of the parts to repair are 4x higher than a Honda and take 3x as long to swap.

It really depends on what you plan to do with it. For my hunting rifles, I generally don't need quick magazine changes because I'll leave camp in the morning and not return until the evening. My favorite big game rifle has a blind magazine which saves weight and makes the stock more rigid through the action area. I also dont have to worry about corrosion from my sweaty hands on the bottom metal. I dont shoot from a bipod and quite often shoot prone over a pack. Some removable magazines would get in the way.

My predator hunting requires moving around a lot in the truck and having a removable magazine is a huge help.

I've been thinking about those mag wells that are available for the 700.
I've seen a couple for $300 plus,and the magpul for under 100 bucks now.
So the questions I have are,are they worth the money? (For whatever YOU installed it for)
And which ones have you used and seem to work best? Best mags?
Is the magpul unit just for their hunter stock?
FWIW it doesn't matter what I'll use the gun for but it probably wont be for chasing zombies any time soon. So mostly just for convenience
My 700 is the long range rifle with the Bell&Carlson M40 tactical stock in 7mm mag
Thanks
Mike
Mag well for a bolt action rifle? If you need to reload your rifle that quickly, you are in it well over your arm pits and should probably be armed with a semi auto. Sounds like a total wast of time and money to me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top