JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
after installation the engine light came on immediatly, i had auto zone and a friend check the code and its the MAF (mass air flow sensor)

seems that it may have low voltage, ive checked all connections and basically reinsalled the unit, its a spectra anyone can have anything to say that would be great

Sbwool

I know that when I did this with my Maxima I had to reset the ECU to make the MAF code go away. Not sure how you do that in your Tahoe but it's worth a shot.

If you disconected the MAF sensor when installing the CAI did you put a little new dialectric grease on the connections before replugging.

I know that when I did this with my Maxima I had to reset the ECU to make the MAF code go away. Not sure how you do that in your Tahoe but it's worth a shot.

Usually disconnect the battery for an hour and that takes care of any vehicle.
Simple and no risk of improper grounding as some need certain wires grounded to do this.

thank you for the several responses, i have cleared the code and it comes back and un pluggin the battery doe not reset the computer on any vehicle that is 95 or knewer from my understanding

wat is the ECU? and no i did not grease the plug as i wasnt instructed to per the directions. i havent heard of this either ill look into it

Unpluging the battery will work on 95 and newer cars. If the light came on right away then the computer isn't seeing the correct resistance for that sensor. Make sure the connector plug is on correctly and making contact with all the pins. Grease shouldn't matter. Is it possible you put the plug or even the whole housing in backwards. What are the possibilitys you buggered up the little element inside the tube?

Clearing the code won't fix the problem as you have discovered it will come back. The problem is the MAF sensor is designed to work within a set parameter for the amount of air that will enter the engine. By adding a cold air intake you have significantly increased the amount of air that will be allowed in the engine. The MAF can't cope and throws a code. You need to get a programmer to tune your ECU programming to cope with the extra air and add more fuel to burn to get you that increased horsepower. You may have noticed more power already but that is because by adding more air you have leaned out your air fuel ratio which does give you more power but also can lead to detonation or engine knock and it can also prematurely burn out your catalytic converters. Put the stock air filter and housing back on and see if it returns to normal. If it does, I think thats your problem. If the problem persists, then you may have damaged the sensor or something else. Part of it can be that these CAI use an oil coated filter, this oil can atomize into tiny droplets and coat the sensor and make it give an inaccurate reading. This usually takes a while to happen though.

I own a 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra that is factory supercharged and I have made numerous modifications over the years and have dealt with MAF and air fuel issues on numerous occasions. You can modify your vehicle to make it work, but you have to do it right or its more trouble than its worth in my opinion. Good luck and have fun.

Unplug the batttery and pull the power fuse "kills" all power to the ECU. This enables a clean startup on the ECU which allows it to configure your new air/fuel ratio requirement. I did this on a 2006 Expedition and cleared out the engine light fault. Hope this helps, good luck.

quick update. engine light is now gone, truck is running better then when i bought it. turns out when i cut the wirest o the maf to add the wire they gave me(because moving the maf i need extra 8 inches of wire) i loss too much voltage so i sodered the wires and its all gravy baby

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top