JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was interested in the self defense aspect. Carrying, reacting from a holster carried weapon. More for eventual IPSEC an just practical education. I feel the same re Insight, best instruction and consistent rules w.r.t. paperwork an proof of good citizenship is more important than location.

I may look into Wades today... But Thunder Ranch and SFA will probably be where i spend my money.

So far, i an not at all impressed with Insights administration. I'm still waiting for a return call, and their requirements aren't consistent. I get a different answer to questions depending on who i speak to.

I signed up on their website and was notified promptly. The requirements for each course are clearly listed on each page e.g. for Defensive Handgun it is:

Prerequisites:
CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT or documentation of good character, and you must be totally familiar and comfortable with your handgun. If you have never shot before or wonder how your gun works this class is not for you.
Required Equipment:
Reliable, functional handgun; Belt holster (rigid) with sturdy belt; 600 rounds of jacketed ammunition (minimum); minimum of 2 magazines and a magazine pouch; Concealment clothing; Hearing and eye protection

(from https://www.insightstraining.com/view_course.asp?courseID=146)

The Chief Instructor at Insights (Greg Hamilton) is a former Army Ranger and instructs for Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. The rest of the instructor team is similarly top notch.

Here are two independent AARs from Greg's classes:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?98565-AAR-Insights-Intensive-Handgun-with-Greg-Hamilton-(1-27-1-29)

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9307-AAR-Insights-Street-amp-Vehicle-Tactics-II-in-Redmond-Wa-(8-16-8-18)

My experiences at Wades have been universally terrible, and it gets poor reviews in the WA business review site. They also had a lead poisoning problem last year.

<broken link removed>

Hello yall, I found this thread by searching on google trying to find out more about Insights and FAS. I was wondering if the consensus still stands? I've been a long time owner but only recently decided to get proper training for home defense and conceal carry. Are Insights and FAS the only two still available around the Seattle metro area? If so, would FAS still be recommended over Insights despite me being located in the North Everett region?

Hello yall, I found this thread by searching on google trying to find out more about Insights and FAS. I was wondering if the consensus still stands? I've been a long time owner but only recently decided to get proper training for home defense and conceal carry. Are Insights and FAS the only two still available around the Seattle metro area? If so, would FAS still be recommended over Insights despite me being located in the North Everett region?
I haven't trained with Insights yet but I know some friends who have.

I did the entire Handgun and Carbine curriculum at FAS last year. All of their handgun classes include a classroom portion on self defense law which is some of the best around so they are not just square range ballistic masturbation classes. If you are serious about carrying for self defense I highly recommend them. If you already have basic safety and drawing from a holster down you can start at their Defensive Handgun class. Their Concealed Carry 101 is actually really good for a 1 day class if you don't know if you're ready for Defense Handgun yet.

They host Massad Ayoob every summer as well. There are also spots available in the Rangemaster Northwest Tactical Conference (no-pre reqs) at the end of July. A bunch of top level trainers will be there giving 2-4 hour blocks on different topics.
NW Tactical Conference
MAG-40-Armed Citizens' Rules of Engagement+Livefire Course

Thanks. I actually signed up for FAS going in for their beginning class and plan to take it all the way to handgun 3 at least. I really like their class includes clearing your home and flashlight tactics. I hope to gain a lot from it and be comfortable enough to carry on a daily basis.

Another highly satisfied FAS guy, 5-6 courses over the years, handguns, lowlight, rifle, etc. Marty's a solid guy. Had 3 or 4 Massad Ayoob classes too. A++

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top