JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've seen various positive comments over the years; never actually had opportunity to handle one until today.

Other than being a little bulky, the ergonomics grip shape seems to be favorable to my hand, especially after the LGS installed the straight rather than the rounded lower grip section.

I liked the decocker, and the general trigger features. Unfamiliar with the variations, been reading some today on the model. Overwhelming data, too much to process in one afternoon.

Not that 'need another 9' is the motivation here....

Who has some version of CZ 75, and what is a better choice for 1) great target accuracy; 2) easy belt carry; 3) large magazines easy to find & more economical;

Why don't I see more on the firing line at the range?

Tips/comments/dire warnings/enthusiastic suggestions solicited. From actual users, please.

I have owned a few SP-01 pistols and they were both great shooters. I ended up selling them when i needed cash. They are a good investment and always in demand.

Right now I have a P-01 Urban Grey suppressor ready model as one of my EDC pistols. It has the Alloy frame and is a medium sized gun.

The weight is a big issue for a carry gun. Even the Alloy frame is noticeably heavier than my Glock 19. I like how accurate the CZ is compared to my Glock but i usually carry the Glock more because of the weight.

e5xicgU.jpg

The CZ 75 is an awesome firearm. It meets all of your choices mentioned above. I have owned mine for several years now and I am continually amazed by its performance. IWB carry/OWB carry makes no difference. Handles like a Czech dream ;)

Why don't I see more on the firing line at the range?

Tips/comments/dire warnings/enthusiastic suggestions solicited. From actual users, please.
I have a bone stock SP-01 and a Tanfo Stock III (CZ clone)
They're awesome, I think.

They were the sidearm of the enemy for a long time and weren't imported to us.
So other designs got a head start, is how I understand why you don't see that many.
And then factor in the polymer frame craze (aka Glock).

For carry, I would look at the Compact model.
Looks like a down-sized SP-01. Sexy little thing.

The hotrodders say that the Safety Version has a trigger that is easier to tune.
So I chose the Safety Version over the De-cocker Version.
I have not worked on the trigger.....yet.

"Fits your hand like a glove."
-Hickok45 on CZ 75 B

Compact / 75D PCR are pretty nice for carry. Should be reasonably easy for 41mag to conceal.

For even easier conceal is the 2075 RAMI. Not as "easy" to shoot as the PCR or 75B, given it's smaller size, but it's pretty close.

Nice that the RAMI & PCR can take 75B mags too.

Personal pref, but I prefer decocker for carry over safety, in these.

CZ75B two tone in 40 S&W.
  • Older version w/o decocker. I have a decocker on other guns, and find it more of an irritation. I never trust them anyway.
  • Alloy frame, nitrided slide.
  • I have the Hogue wrap around rubber grips, much more comfortable fit for my hand.
  • It has a replacement Wolf spring and plunger for recoil. The newer ones have a plastic plunger, IIRC.
  • Had to replace the night sights with Truglo ones. Happy with them.
  • Easily 40K rounds down the pipe, you can tell by the wear on the top of the barrel.
  • The trigger reset spring is noticeably worn (i.e. weaker) than a newer one.
  • I have dropped this straight down onto it's backstrap condition zero with no AD. (total panic watching it fall)
  • It started binding on the slide last year. Had about 10K down range and hadn't cleaned it. An ultrasonic bath in Kerosene and it's slicker than snot.
  • Back when I shot it regularly (>200 rounds / month), I could shoot the knots out of plywood at 20 yards.
Accuracy: of all my pistols, I am the most accurate with the 75B. My Kimber is a close 2nd.
Reliability: unquestionable. My go to. Don't clean it for 5 years and it may give you a few hiccups.
Conceal ability: kinda big. I have two different holsters for it, a Desantis thumb break paddle OWB (how I carry in the woods) and a plastic one. Love the DeSantis.
Mags : Have both CZ and Promag mags (10 rounds each) The Promags dont drop as cleanly as the CZ but have never had any failures with either. I bought a spare mag for my 9mm 75B before I sold it, IIRC it was ~$35 at Keiths.

[edit] After selling my 9mm, bought a Tanfoglio EAA Witness compact in 10mm. It has a heavy recoil, is the side arm I now carry when hunting, and I really like it too.

Here are pictures of two 75B's disassembled. Note the difference in frame size for the 40 (top) and 9 (bot). Note the barrel wear (gauering) on the 40S&W barrel on the left.

20161126_175821.jpg 20161126_175811.jpg

I have several CZ 75b models in different configurations, including single action, safety, and a de-cocker. All mine are the full size, and in 9mm, and I don't carry them (only range use). From the first time I picked one up, I liked the way it fit my hand, and the first time I fired one I was hooked. I'm not a particularly great shot with handguns (not enough practice) but have always been impressed with how the 75s shoot for me. On new ones, the triggers can be a little gritty sometimes, but usually smooth out with use, or more quickly if you do some polishing of the internals in key areas. Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom sell some good parts to tune up the triggers if you really want a nice range gun.

The only warning I will give you is be prepared for them to multiply once you get your first.

For me a 75 just feels right in my hand and shoots like it was made for me. Got a 75b omega, p01 and a sp01 tactical. Mecgar mags are great quality and priced well. If I was to carry one (I do) the p01 is the one but the stock sights on it suck a fat one. I shoot it just as good as a full size and the difference in weight is noticeable. If size/weight is no concern the sp01 is my go to pistol as it has good capacity, good amount of heft and stays on target, reliable and I shoot it the best out of all my handguns. YMMV

The model I'm looking at is "CZ-75 SP-O1 Phantom".
The sights seem oddly primitive simple painted white 3 dot style, not adjustable.

How is the 'tactical' model different from this one?

What kind of speed steel/group size at 50' can be expected?
Given how bulky it is, the weight seems quite moderate.

The model I'm looking at is "CZ-75 SP-O1 Phantom".
I don't consider that model to be a real CZ 75 because it's a polymer frame copy.
In my mind the CZ 75 is supposed to be a steel framed pistol. (my problem)
It's attractive because it hits a lower price point than the steel frame CZ's.
(I paid $608 for my steel frame SP-01)
The Phantom is the model you are most apt to see in your LGS because of that lower price point and it looks like a normal CZ.

Tactical might mean that it has a de-cocker and is not the safety model.

Here's the full meal CZ
Gonna take a little more bank, though....
cz-usa-cz-75-sp01-shadow-target-500x333.png

Last Edited:
I would choose a Cz-75 if carry weight isn't a problem (like for a car gun). Arthritis of various forms makes carrying anything heavier than a J-Frame on my belt painful. My infirmities aside I would recommend the Cz-75.

I had a number of CZs including the 75B, SP-01, SP-01 tactical, P-01, P-07, RAMI, 97B, and Shadow 2. A sad day on the ocean when I lost those.

My most accurate one was surprisingly the 97B... Damnnnn accurate. Big and heavy for only 10 rounds of 45. Close behind was the Shadow 2 and SP-01. The SP-01 Tactical, tho identical to SP-01 with the exception of the decocker, was not nearly as accurate as my SP-01. Was it accurate enough? Yeah.

I carried the P-01 daily. People complain about weight but I didn't notice it really. The decocker SA/DA is the best carry configuration IMHO. Reliability is second to none. Only a few of my guns have never been ammo picky, P-01 was one. It fed every hollow point I've found. The chamber appeared to be cut, or the throat of the barrel is formed, such that even slightly long OAL bullets don't cause an issue. The Shadow 2 was picky about OAL. It makes sense from accuracy perspective.

CZs are also relatively inexpensive especially for the testing they do in production. They actually function check each pistol... Fire multiple rounds, run the action, etc. As MAC on YouTube points out, at this price point not many other manufacturers do this level of QA/QC.

I will say the Omega trigger found in the polymer guns is not the same as the standard trigger. It is convertible between safety and decocker configuration but that's not useful unless you can't find the standard trigger you want on the shelf. The Omega trigger is a manufacturability improvement and they appear to have sacrificed stock out of the box performance with it. It can be improved, so I hear. This may be the CZ equivalent of series 70 vs series 80. I like the original trigger group.

I didn't care for the P-07 because of that Omega trigger. It had no distinct break... The pull just squishes through. The DA is gritty. I think the SP-01 Phantom also has this omega trigger. If you check out Nutnfancy's review on YT, he'll discuss the sort of dirty trigger on the polymer phantom vs all steel guns.

If you forced me to pick between P229 and P-01 for best DA/SA gun, I don't know if I could pick. P229 trigger is superior in all respects, almost everything else about the P-01 is better. And I can get two P-01s for the price of 1 P229. Especially after that boating accident.

Yeah these guns are awesome. But beware cause they multiply.

Start with the P-01 unless you really want full size... Then get SP-01.

Once you buy 3 or 4 of them, mags aren't a problem. Mecgar makes extra mags and they are relatively inexpensive as well.

One other thing to note, the inverted slide rails of the SP-01, and the stiff recoil spring and main hammer spring for 9mm NATO spec ammo, make for a particularly difficult to rack slide for older folks and people with low grip strength.

If you fall into this category, stepping down a few pounds on the main spring and recoil spring weights really help out. Also the standard cocking the gun before racking the slide is advisable.

And if anyone complains about the take down method of the 75, don't listen. Yeah you probably won't be able to field strip it in a fight, but do you really need to?

Take down is simple, no need to even really align the marks on the rear of the frame. Just put the hammer at the half cock notch. The slide will press back to exactly where it needs to go.

I think I need a new P-01 SDP now........

I'm not sure how many rounds you put through a pistol with the Omega trigger . But mine has gotten much better with use. Way smoother . I even comented on how the Sigs had a better trigger but the Omega came around and is much better with a just few hundred rounds through it . CZs not in the habit of making bad police and military pistols. Like the P-07 and 09.

I shot a high mileage Omega trigger at the local range. Their rental P-07. Like I said, no distinct break, just mushed through. I still bought one because I'm a CZ fanatic. It felt the same except not so light. Still no real break to be felt.

The P-07 and P-09 solve two problems: weight and cost. I think the all steel and alloy frame pistols didn't have a problem with either. Opinions differ.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top