JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I dont remember which T.C. it is, but it was made by Saur with the T.C. name on it. Buddy bought one and it shoots nice. And besides the El-Cheep-O rubber and plastic stock, actually looked really nice too!:) do your home work, T.C. does some nice rifles once in a while!:D

I shoot a TC Icon for deer and elk, it's a fine rifle. Be aware though, S&W bought the brand in about 2012, ostensibly to produce barrels for the m&p line of rifles. I'm not sure how much it's affected the quality of their products since then.

I had a T.C Venture about 6 years ago in .270 and it was a good shooter, seemed like a solid hunting rifle. For the prices of the Compes rifle I imagine it would compete with the Savage Axis and similar.

Both the Compass and Venture get good reviews.
I find it cool that the Venture can be ordered in 280 Remington with a 24" barrel.
If I was in the market, I'd go to Cabelas and fondle all the entry level bolt guns.
The Mossberg Patriot being available in a walnut stock looks pretty nice for an entry level rifle.
A shooter on another forum likes his Patriot very well.

Last Edited:
I was thinking about one in a .204 Ruger, because could have gotten one with a 4x12 Vortex Crossfire II after rebate for 300 if gotten before end of 2017, but thought better wait and look at a few different ones out there!

I cant help but wonder if everything TC makes has to have a gimmick. So many shows sponsored by TC and Ive yet to run into a real person carrying one.
As sad as it sounds, I agree. What's worse? Having some kind of gimmick is what many marketeers seem to think is important, instead of something like the quality of the product.
I'd expect anything with the Thompson/Center name on it to be a decent gun. I'll be honest and admit that I don't go to gun stores and handle guns as much as I used to, but I've not seen a Thompson rifle anywhere to be able to handle one. Got no clue.

I'm a terrible guy to ask. I've bought numerous guns just to see what it's like to handle and shoot one. If I wanted to see what a TC Compass was all about, I'd find one in the caliber I wanted and would buy it. If I didn't like it, I'd sell or trade it. The background check/transfer fees cut into the pocket a bit, but it's not likely you'll lose too much money. I compare it to renting something. I get to use it as I like, when I like. If I decide to sell it I'll likely sell it for a small loss and that is my "rent". If I decide to keep it, then good for me! This kind of game is fun to play.

A bud of mine bought one last month, 308. He obsesses it "only" shoots 1" to 1.5" cold bore 100 yard groups. I reminded him he bought it for a hunting rifle to kill deer. It's not a bench rest gun.

Anyway, beyond unreasonable expectations, the only other complaint he had was the trigger pull weight. He got a spring replacement from Ernie the Gunsmith and is now OK with the trigger.

I did handle one at Fisherman's and Marine, seemed like a nice rifle and worth the price, pretty much on par with all of it's competitors in that space.

A bud of mine bought one last month, 308. He obsesses it "only" shoots 1" to 1.5" cold bore 100 yard groups. I reminded him he bought it for a hunting rifle to kill deer. It's not a bench rest gun.

Anyway, beyond unreasonable expectations, the only other complaint he had was the trigger pull weight. He got a spring replacement from Ernie the Gunsmith and is now OK with the trigger.

I did handle one at Fisherman's and Marine, seemed like a nice rifle and worth the price, pretty much on par with all of it's competitors in that space.

Thanks, still thing about getting one, but really would like to look at one 1st. I bought a Ruger American in a 243 this fall, like the feel better than the Savage Axis, which I did not care for. Also I know for under a few hundred I can get a Lam. wood stock for the Ruger, not sure on the T/C Compass.

The closest spot to look at one is anywhere from a 3 to 4 hour drive 1 way, so just can't run downtown and look at it! ;)

Thanks, still thing about getting one, but really would like to look at one 1st. I bought a Ruger American in a 243 this fall, like the feel better than the Savage Axis, which I did not care for. Also I know for under a few hundred I can get a Lam. wood stock for the Ruger, not sure on the T/C Compass.

The closest spot to look at one is anywhere from a 3 to 4 hour drive 1 way, so just can't run downtown and look at it! ;)

I only went and looked at one because my bud asked me to so he could get a second opinion (I was wrong about Fishermans & Marine, it was at Dick's, they are next to each other at Hayden Meadows in OR). The two main areas where he thought the T/C rose above the others were the synthetic stock didn't feel "as cheap", and the action of the bolt felt notably smoother, I had to agree with him on both counts. Not wanting to sound snobbish but a plastic stock feeling "less cheap" is not a big draw for me, I was impressed with the bolt-feel for a rifle at that price point. At that time, December I believe, the sale price plus a rebate had that darn gun either close to, or just below $200, an excellent value proposition for a rifle that comes with an accuracy guarantee; that should cover a buyer unlucky enough to purchase a Quality Control escapee.

You are very smart wanting to handle any of these in person before buying; while they are all great at some things, corners must be cut somewhere to mass produce at these prices. As long as the must-have list is met, then it's a matter of how the cuts the manufacturer made line up with the cuts you would've made.

Good luck!

I've had my Compass in 22-250 for several months now and no problems to speak of. They guarantee moa or better and I was not disappointed. The adjustable trigger didn't get as light as I wanted (only complaint). I attached a muzzle brake (factory threaded) and now have a varmint killer that has yet to kill a varmint, lol. Here's a pic of my best 100 yard group.

746EFAA5-76B5-4CDF-A3CA-192C41B54C70.jpeg

I bought one in .204 Ruger a few months ago, but Also got a $75 MasterCard rebate with it. Looking forward to getting to out to sight it in. So far the only thing is the stock is a little short for me, about an inch or so, so probably added a 1" recoil pad to it for now.

I've had my Compass in 22-250 for several months now and no problems to speak of. They guarantee moa or better and I was not disappointed. The adjustable trigger didn't get as light as I wanted (only complaint). I attached a muzzle brake (factory threaded) and now have a varmint killer that has yet to kill a varmint, lol. Here's a pic of my best 100 yard group.
PS Thanks for the input too! :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads