JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been out of town helping my mom move from Ohio to Oregon.

On the tail end of the drive into Oregon yesterday, my roommate messages me telling me someone broke the glass window out of the back door leading into my bedroom.

Nothing was missing, but to access that door, a person must walk up my very long driveway and and yard, trip several motion activated lights, go behind my garage, and then around the side of the house to the back of the house to the unlit yardyard backporch.

obviously the whole house is lucky that nothing more happened, but now I'm very on edge about a repeat attempt.

My Ruger P95 has a rail on the receiver, and I am suddebly very interested in light systems, but also recently jobless, so looking for something affordable.

Any ideas?
20180416_000343.jpg

Last Edited:
Streamlight makes some affordable options. The TLR-3 comes to mind. I believe it's under $100 new.

I've been out of town helping my mom move from Ohio to Oregon.

On the tail end of the drive into Oregon yesterday, my roommate messages me telling me someone broke the glass window out of the back door leading into my bedroom.

Nothing was missing, but to access that door, a person must walk up my very long driveway and and yard, trip several motion activated lights, go behind my garage, and then around the side of the house to the back of the house to the unlit yardyard backporch.

obviously the whole house is lucky that nothing more happened, but now I'm very on edge about a repeat attempt.

My Ruger P95 has a rail on the receiver, and I am suddebly very interested in light systems, but also recently jobless, so looking for something affordable.

Any ideas?
View attachment 451022

Look at Amazon for some ideas. I have a couple now, one has a laser and light you can choose to use laser alone or with light, and another that it just a light. Both have different names on them but look like they come from the same factory or are knock offs. Just search rail light using CR2. They both use the CR2 batteries which are about half the size of the old CR123 batteries. This makes the lights much smaller. So far the recoil and blast from both a 10mm and 9mm PCC have not seemed to bother them and they run about $30. They are of course not as well made as one that costs 3 or more times this but you're not paying that price. So far been very happy with them.

I FORGOT the utg light has a switch that when you push down lite is on when you let go it goes off or you can push up on switch and the light stays on inforce light is little different . When you push switch it comes on and off or you push down and it click on and stays on

The Glock 22 with the UTG LEAPERS LIGHT is my night stand gun I have had the light for over a year now .The Glock 19 With the inforce light is new .and I changed the barrel and on it and just put the light on it so it stays in the safe until I can go shooting to make sure it works right LOL .I NEVER TRUST A GUN after a mod until I shoot it .

The Glock 22 with the UTG LEAPERS LIGHT is my night stand gun I have had the light for over a year now .The Glock 19 With the inforce light is new .and I changed the barrel and on it and just put the light on it so it stays in the safe until I can go shooting to make sure it works right LOL .I NEVER TRUST A GUN after a mod until I shoot it .

Great advice. Especially in regards to polymer framed guns.

Where affordability is important, Streamlight and Fenix would probably be the two I would look at...in that order.

Also consider that you don't necessarily have to go with a rail mounted light. A handheld light is pretty effective albeit slightly more cumbersome to wield. However, you have the added benefit of being able to identify the target without having to point your gun at them which can have benefits when you live with others. Also, a handheld light is usually cheaper than a weapon mounted light.

Don't mount the light to your pistol. Instead it goes in your weak hand held as fr from your body as possible. No sense turning your pistol into a target for an armed intruder in the dark. For around $50 you can get a Fenix PD-25 with serious output, strobing, and comes with a rechargeable battery.

Olight PL-1 or PL-2 can be had for $45-60 on sale, and very good value for the money. I've gotten to the point where when I need a flashlight I go rip the Olight off my AR rather than pull my penlight out of my pocket.

One thing I forgot that I tell others in person with this. If you want to use a hand held light and a hand gun one good way to practice is air pistols. Since few can go to a range that will let them shoot in the dark and few have anyplace they can do this outdoors. Decades ago when I first saw LEO's learning this the first thing I thought was "I would like to try that", of course had no way to do so. Bought a little CO2 pistol just to see what it was like and found it worked great as a trainer.

I like a 3 D Mag light with LEDs.

I want to say you can get them for $30.

Heavy enough to use as a club if you for some reason need it and gives off a ton of light. Push button on the side is in just the right place to turn it on and off without having to take focus off your front sight and what your clearing or ambushing.

I'm not that old but I'm still having an issue mounting a light to a pistol. Shotgun or rifle I can get on board with.

I like a 3 D Mag light with LEDs.

I want to say you can get them for $30.

Heavy enough to use as a club if you for some reason need it and gives off a ton of light. Push button on the side is in just the right place to turn it on and off without having to take focus off your front sight and what your clearing or ambushing.

I'm not that old but I'm still having an issue mounting a light to a pistol. Shotgun or rifle I can get on board with.

Pistol mounted light lets you get a full grip on your gun. Better control, accuracy and ease of aiming. I'm all about a pistol mounted light.

Not to mention, one stop shopping. Fumbling for a gun in the dark out of a dead sleep is already an issue, let alone finding the gun, the light, then getting your Harries position established.

Pistol mounted light lets you get a full grip on your gun. Better control, accuracy and ease of aiming. I'm all about a pistol mounted light.
I like pistol mounted lights too the down side to them is you have to point your gun at something or someone to use it but then again . investigating a bumb in the night that could be a plus lol

Y'all don't have monkey hands though:p.

I've grown up practicing single handed with both hands and do fairly well. I'm still trying to figure out this new fangled 2 handed grip thing y'all are schoolin me in:D.

Of course, I might be a convert in a month or two:rolleyes:.

I like pistol mounted lights too the down side to them is you have to point your gun at something or someone to use it but then again . investigating a bumb in the night that could be a plus lol

Yep, and a good light will show you guys why those $100+ dollar tritium night sights are useless.

Y'all don't have monkey hands though:p.

I've grown up practicing single handed with both hands and do fairly well. I'm still trying to figure out this new fangled 2 handed grip thing y'all are schoolin me in:D.

Of course, I might be a convert in a month or two:rolleyes:.

Give me 30 minutes of your time at the range brother.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top