JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was taking a walk to collect my thoughts and found myself contemplating if there was a way to INCREASE felt recoil on a .22LR. I know there are tons and tons of devices/methods to reduce recoil from just about anything. The idea being to get just a little bit closer to simulating the centerfire experience. Thoughts/comments/observations?

Reduce the weight of your rifle.
Lighten the recoil spring enough that it still holds the bolt in battery sufficiently for the bullet to clear the barrel, then slams into a backstop on full stroke.
Reload your own 22LR and make them super-duper loads. :eek:

Was taking a walk to collect my thoughts and found myself contemplating if there was a way to INCREASE felt recoil on a .22LR. I know there are tons and tons of devices/methods to reduce recoil from just about anything. The idea being to get just a little bit closer to simulating the centerfire experience. Thoughts/comments/observations?

You should also explore the possibility of installing a loudener.... ;):D

You could use a lighter recoil spring.(I know this works for other calibers)
Get a lightweight model and have a reduced recoil spring would probably be the best bet I'd think.

Care to share what that looks like? That sounds interesting
Mine is like the first pic below. I don't think the strike one (2nd pic) is made anymore but i'm not sure. sfs_110114_4.jpg

strike.JPG

i only know one reason for more recoil from a .22 and, it is precisely why that those devices would be getting scarcer.
The other thing I can think of is if someone were using a 22 conversion kit like you see for pistols etc. occasionally. The manufacturer makes those kits for low cost training with the same gun. So it may help with giving a more realistic feel if a person were doing that I would guess. A person could do a similar thing with M&P 15-22 AR for example also. Just a guess but I would bet the recoil would still be so mild on the AR it's probably not worth the trouble?

I bought mine on a whim and I haven't even tried it yet. At the time my assumption was that it would work better on firearms that produce lots of gas such as a pistol with higher powered rounds and that it would be less effective on longer barrel lengths and/or subsonics. But just assumed, not tested.

To OP you are welcome to borrow it if ur in PDX area to try. I had made up a testing method for measuring recoil and someday was going to test muzzle device effect on 9mm and 223 I could add 22lr to that also I guess. Just takes quite a while to do it semi-scientifically (ie repeatable measurements with controls) rather than just impressions and I never had enough interest to buckle down and do it.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top