JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was taking a walk to collect my thoughts and found myself contemplating if there was a way to INCREASE felt recoil on a .22LR. I know there are tons and tons of devices/methods to reduce recoil from just about anything. The idea being to get just a little bit closer to simulating the centerfire experience. Thoughts/comments/observations?

Reduce the weight of your rifle.
Lighten the recoil spring enough that it still holds the bolt in battery sufficiently for the bullet to clear the barrel, then slams into a backstop on full stroke.
Reload your own 22LR and make them super-duper loads. :eek:

Was taking a walk to collect my thoughts and found myself contemplating if there was a way to INCREASE felt recoil on a .22LR. I know there are tons and tons of devices/methods to reduce recoil from just about anything. The idea being to get just a little bit closer to simulating the centerfire experience. Thoughts/comments/observations?

You should also explore the possibility of installing a loudener.... ;):D

You could use a lighter recoil spring.(I know this works for other calibers)
Get a lightweight model and have a reduced recoil spring would probably be the best bet I'd think.

Care to share what that looks like? That sounds interesting
Mine is like the first pic below. I don't think the strike one (2nd pic) is made anymore but i'm not sure. sfs_110114_4.jpg

strike.JPG

i only know one reason for more recoil from a .22 and, it is precisely why that those devices would be getting scarcer.
The other thing I can think of is if someone were using a 22 conversion kit like you see for pistols etc. occasionally. The manufacturer makes those kits for low cost training with the same gun. So it may help with giving a more realistic feel if a person were doing that I would guess. A person could do a similar thing with M&P 15-22 AR for example also. Just a guess but I would bet the recoil would still be so mild on the AR it's probably not worth the trouble?

I bought mine on a whim and I haven't even tried it yet. At the time my assumption was that it would work better on firearms that produce lots of gas such as a pistol with higher powered rounds and that it would be less effective on longer barrel lengths and/or subsonics. But just assumed, not tested.

To OP you are welcome to borrow it if ur in PDX area to try. I had made up a testing method for measuring recoil and someday was going to test muzzle device effect on 9mm and 223 I could add 22lr to that also I guess. Just takes quite a while to do it semi-scientifically (ie repeatable measurements with controls) rather than just impressions and I never had enough interest to buckle down and do it.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top