JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am hoping there is an expert someplace near me in the Portland Metro area who could help me identify what exactly I have. I know the rifle has a 4 digit serial number that puts the manufacture date about 1895, and it looks to be all original except for the front sight. I'm hoping there is someone in the forum who can help me or knows an expert in the region I could contact. I'm not so much interested in placing any exact value on this rifle, but I would like to know what condition it is in, what parts may have been replaced, and perhaps how it's condition would effect a ball park value. I will try to get photos of the rifle at a later time.

I also have an old colt SA (1st gen I think) in 44-40 which seems to have a replaced barrel, which is a "frontier six shooter" barrel. It also looks like the grip frame has been replaced as well and someone in the life of this pistol etched in numbers on the bottom of the grip frame, and on the right side of the frame under the cylinder. Not sure why anyone would do such a thing, but perhaps there is a reasonable explanation someone might know of.

I am in the process of dividing my father's collection between myself and my brother, and I'd like more information on these two firearms. I am located in the Vancouver, WA area, but I am willing to travel a fair distance for expert knowledge.

Thank you in advance for any help.

IMG_1297.JPG

Last Edited:
Crickets........

Chirrrrrp!

My recommendation would be go to the Oregon Arms Collector's show and walk around until you see someone eyeballing your 94 and/or colt. If they're not personally interested they will most likely know someone who is, and will point them out to you. OR, go get them and bring them to you. Those guys love to look, fondle and talk about old guns.

There's a show 3/20. <broken link removed>

Good luck!

I know more then a little about Winchesters

Post a photo of all of the following

Over all right
Over all left
The Muzzle and end of the magazine
The Foregrip both sides and bottom as well as where it meets the metal
The butt stock same as the forestock plus the butt plate especially where the wood meets the metal
The Trademark on the Tang
The proof marks on the top of the barrel and the receiver
Any lettering on the barrel
Barrel Length measured with a rod stuck down the bore to touch the closed bolt face need it to the 1/16th inch
Right Left Top Bottom of the Receiver
close up on the sights ft and rr
Close ups of anything special Checkering, Extra Holes, extra sights,
Since a photo is so hard give a good description of the bore especially the last 1" before the muzzle.
Make sure the photos are well lit in focus and sharp.

And I can give to a pretty good idea of what you have and a market value.

I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look for me. I will get you some photos ASAP, hopefully by this weekend. Again thank you very much!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top