JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone ever actually see one of these?

They were made from about 1915 to 1938 by Garate, Anitua y Cia of Spain and were essentially a patent infringement rip-off at the time.

I had heard of them before but a recent conversation with a friend about the show 'The Rifleman' I mentioned how in several episodes Lucas was seen 'abusing' his rifle, throwing it around etc. and I looked into it and discovered an 'El Tigre' was used for the rough scenes - and he handled his own Mod 92 and another used in the show with care. His personal Mod 92 is still not in bad shape on display in the NRA museum.

A story about them mentioned they were actually well made and almost exact copies of the Mod 92. I'd like to find one!

garate el tigre-05.jpg

I had one in the way-back-time. Wish I hadn't traded it off:(. Near impossible to find these days (I've been looking).

My grandad bought one mail order from an ad in TV Guide for $48 and I shot it a couple times as a kid. It was the 'reason' I bought the one I had in the 80s when I found it at a gunshow.

Last one I saw was on Gunbroker and sold for about $1,400 if memory serves. You can get a pretty decent '92 for that kind of money.

...and you're right; many dozens of them were beaten to a pulp in westerns. At an auction in 1988 or 89, I saw four of them with blank adapters that were stamped 'Bronchco MP CO' with a number under that. Bronchco Movie Production Company was a production house in New Mexico in the 40s and 50s. I didn't bid as they would have had to be rebarreled to be functional again. I've no idea what they sold for (and that was a long time ago now).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top