'El Tigre' Mod 92 based Lever Action Rifle

RVTECH

Reactions
Anyone ever actually see one of these?

They were made from about 1915 to 1938 by Garate, Anitua y Cia of Spain and were essentially a patent infringement rip-off at the time.

I had heard of them before but a recent conversation with a friend about the show 'The Rifleman' I mentioned how in several episodes Lucas was seen 'abusing' his rifle, throwing it around etc. and I looked into it and discovered an 'El Tigre' was used for the rough scenes - and he handled his own Mod 92 and another used in the show with care. His personal Mod 92 is still not in bad shape on display in the NRA museum.

A story about them mentioned they were actually well made and almost exact copies of the Mod 92. I'd like to find one!

garate el tigre-05.jpg

Reactions
I had one in the way-back-time. Wish I hadn't traded it off:(. Near impossible to find these days (I've been looking).

My grandad bought one mail order from an ad in TV Guide for $48 and I shot it a couple times as a kid. It was the 'reason' I bought the one I had in the 80s when I found it at a gunshow.

Last one I saw was on Gunbroker and sold for about $1,400 if memory serves. You can get a pretty decent '92 for that kind of money.

Reactions
...and you're right; many dozens of them were beaten to a pulp in westerns. At an auction in 1988 or 89, I saw four of them with blank adapters that were stamped 'Bronchco MP CO' with a number under that. Bronchco Movie Production Company was a production house in New Mexico in the 40s and 50s. I didn't bid as they would have had to be rebarreled to be functional again. I've no idea what they sold for (and that was a long time ago now).

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - Pistol/Rifle Combo
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
DRRC .22 Rimfire Challenge Oct 10
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Oregon State Steel Challenge Championship
Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association
Millican, OR 97701, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Good guys!
    I stop in here every once in a while to see what Michael has in the clearance section, and to ask questions when I have a project in mind...
Top Bottom