JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This guy has:

Last Edited:
This guy has:

That right there would be enough to scare me away for good.

There are enough positive reviews on this powder that I am seriously considering buying a few jugs.

This is not a group buy offer (no prearranged purchases will be made as per NWFA rules) but I am wondering if any other adventurous reloaders would consider buying IMR7383 if it was available locally for somewhere around $90 per 7# jug?

A more concise batch of info regarding the good and bad characteristics of this powder are available in PDF format here.

Last Edited:
If you're thinking on buying some online, let me know, would like to go in on it with you.
Due to NWFA rules against organizing group buys on the forum, I won't be doing that here. I am thinking about buying some online and I may buy some extra to sell at near cost in the classifieds if enough interest is there. I will note that at least one member (you) would be interested in buying some.

Understood. Every time I think about getting some, I think of the risks on that powder, know that it has limited capability and think, "for 3-4x more, I don't have the risk," and never pull the trigger.
Even if you had it in hand, I still might not want to buy. I have loaded and shot surplus H870, and while it works, it doesn't perform as well as more current powders. The mentality kicks in, "I'm wearing on my barrel, why shoot loads that are 200fps slower because of my powder choice?"

Understood. Every time I think about getting some, I think of the risks on that powder, know that it has limited capability and think, "for 3-4x more, I don't have the risk," and never pull the trigger.
Even if you had it in hand, I still might not want to buy. I have loaded and shot surplus H870, and while it works, it doesn't perform as well as more current powders. The mentality kicks in, "I'm wearing on my barrel, why shoot loads that are 200fps slower because of my powder choice?"
I am going to think long and hard about it before ordering. There have been quite a few people who have had success with it in a large variety of cartridges but it's the narrow band of performance that gives me pause. It seems like you are either getting unburned kernels on the low end or getting weird pressure spikes on the high end.

I am guessing if there were a bunch of people blowing their arms and faces off with this powder they would have quit selling it by now. Or maybe they have really good attys on the payroll. It's definitely a powder that will require extra caution to play with.

I got a reply back from Jeff Bartlett at GI Brass. Here is what he sent me.

"I have not found any credible info that indicates IMR7383 as triple based.
However, I have pasted a response to an Email I sent to an ex-OIC of Lake City AAP, who oversaw opns from 1968-1972.

IMR 7383 is a single based propellant and composed of about 85% nitrocellulose (NC) and 15% graphite, stabilizers and flash inhibitors. Believe me it does not contain nitroquanidine, unless you or someone else added it? BTW, the IMR 7383 tubular grains are supposed to be 0.038" in diameter and 0.085" long and if anything else is added you should be able to detect it?

Please remember that IMR 7383 was specifically blended for use in the .50 Spotter Cartridge with short (2.00" long) case with a 50M percussion primer and flash tube, the nominal charge weight was 110 grs. which in the .50 M8C aiming rifle produced a peak chamber pressure of approx. 38,000 psi.

This is all the info I have. On the other hand, be advised that in 1986, the DRMS released three (3) lot numbers of new, virgin IMR7383. Two lots were manufactured by duPont, and one lot was from the Radford Ordnance works. It is my understanding that the Radford lot barely passed the DPA tests, whereas the duPont lots were fine. It could be that over time, the DPA %-age of the Radford lot has deteriorated to being somewhat unstable and/or unpredictable.
Having personally consumed over 100lbs from the duPont lot that I sell (lot 48000), I have had no issues whatsoever.
Here is another website that might have additional info for you.

Jeff Bartlett"

Source: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-273929.html

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews