JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We already give at the point of a gun.. I think like 1/3+ Americans are on food stamps and or whatall.
Buy your own kid a pencil or don't have a kid, they cost like two freaking cents.

Ha!

P.S. Why does the word "boner" get bubblegummed, but white boy, cracker and honky are all OK? Where do I send my lawyer?

getting to where anytime I see or hear something like that I decide they don't mind hearing the same type thing handed back to them since they don't think it is offensive and if they do they can keep their mouth shut

Why not let your dollars speak for your point of view and stop shopping at that particular establishment? And please reconsider chastising the check out person. They did not create the policy, they are only doing their job. Chances are, they probably feel exactly as you do, but cannot speak out for fear of losing their job. By all means, contact the manager, or write the main office to voice your opinion.

A lot of these stores/establishments probably get free exposure/publicity because of their "good" deeds.. advertisement of any sort costs a bungload of money.

Why not let your dollars speak for your point of view and stop shopping at that particular establishment? And please reconsider chastising the check out person. They did not create the policy, they are only doing their job. Chances are, they probably feel exactly as you do, but cannot speak out for fear of losing their job. By all means, contact the manager, or write the main office to voice your opinion.

Why not do both? I would bet that most cashiers, especially in a place like Portland, get an incredible George Clooney-type "boner"(there it is again!) for "helping the little people", with no regard for the "charity" past the masturbatory pat on the back they give themselves.

Again, see The Nuremburg Defense. Does the person answering the phone at the KKK office get a pass? What about the Aryan organizations? They have kids to feed as well. They are just doing their job. I know, it's a silly comparison, right? Of course the people padding the pockets of the ultra-rich in the name of "charity" get a pass, but what about the ones doing the bidding of evil racists and being honest about it?

Also, I very much agree with doing your shopping elsewhere. The problem is, "charity" has become so profitable that they ALL do it. So, to combat that, I'll just grow everything I can myself. I have never had my tomato plants(yes officer, they are tomato plants. I swear.) ask me to "round up" or "feed the children". Speaking of which, wouldn't it be much less offensive if Sally Strothers was wearing ANYTHING but those snake skin boots while gingerly stepping around the cardboard ghetto in her Save The Children commercial?

...at the register by corporations.

As you pay for your item it's always "would you like to donate too bla bla..." This happened 3 times at 3 different stores consecutively yesterday. Finally fed up, the third incident went like this: "Would you like to donate a dollar to Save The Children?" reply "No let them die". Needless to say that brought a dirty look. Why should I as a customer be put in a position to receive a dirty look and go away feeling harrassed after spending money? I already give to a favorite charity of choice of my own freewill and of no coercion and I'm tired of the "put them on the spot in public" guilt approach, AKA panhandling. Henceforth I will start informing such panhandlers that they are in fact panhandling to put them on the spot.

Love it - while many might take the "No let them die" a bit brutal the last time I was hit up with the save the children donation request I suggested that save the children should get together with save the tigers - put them all together and the end result is way fewer hungry children and tigers. Survival of the fittest at its finest, and as a bonus they could quit collecting money from people who are not directly impacted by either of these issues.

I simply tell them no but can I talk to you about Jesus Christ and his charities? I have yet to have anyone take me up on that offer...strange...

My favorite neighbor "which has since passed away", was over ninety years old and loved company, any company.
Whenever I got a charity/bible thumper person knocking on my door looking for donations, I would send them across the street to see ol' Mae.
I would tell them she loved giving to charities and good causes and was loaded with money to spare.
Her front door had a lock set that looked to be made in 1892 and it took at least three hands to open it from the inside.
After twenty minutes or so, you would see the person at the front door struggling to escape.
One guy set the record at 30 minutes jiggling the knobs in a frantic effort to get out.
Some tried for the back door, but Butchy, her nasty tempered Corgie wouldn't let them past his food bowl.
Never saw them again in my neighborhood.

We already give at the point of a gun.. I think like 1/3+ Americans are on food stamps and or whatall.
Buy your own kid a pencil or don't have a kid, they cost like two freaking cents.
Can't seem to get the wife to understand that. While I'm sewing up holes in my socks and struggling over which toilet paper gets the most wipes per roll, she's giving out money like we were the Rockefellers to everybody with their hand out. She's a bit religious so gives plenty to the church as well to a handful of organizations regularly. I see no reason she should be buying school supplies for other peoples kid's as well! Don't we spend 13000 or 14000 per kid in public schools already? The kids I'm buying pencils for will probably get some Grant for low income kids to go to College while I sit here with holes in my socks!:s0054:Meanwhile my kids College fund might get them through trade school.

I was at the East end of the Ross Island bridge on Powell Blvd heading home to Gresham one evening and was watching the resident pan handler work the cars for free money.
He's dressed up in a fake bum outfit, but his clothes are real clean, his shoes are expensive Nike's and to top it off, he has dark glasses and a blind mans cane.
He taps his way up and down the middle divider soliciting his impairment and sports a permanent frown
The guy in front of me sticks his hand out of his truck with a brand new $100 bill right as the fake bum is as far away as he can be from us down on the divider.
The bum, who is supposedly near blind, see's the offering at 50' away, recognizes the large bill and starts hustling real quick back up the divider, furiously tapping his cane, just as the lights changed.
The guy pulls back the C note and flips off the faker while driving away.
I work near there. Yeah, he seems to see very well for someone with a white cane...

Please consider that not only are the checkers required to solicit donations for the charity flavor of the month to keep their jobs, (The jobs that keep them off welfare and public assistance) but the ones who get the most donations also, possibly, receive store gift cards as a bonus to their regular pay. That would explain the reason some of them seem so freaking "Happy" when they hit you up for donations.

Mike

Please consider that not only are the checkers required to solicit donations for the charity flavor of the month to keep their jobs, (The jobs that keep them off welfare and public assistance) but the ones who get the most donations also, possibly, receive store gift cards as a bonus to their regular pay. That would explain the reason some of them seem so freaking "Happy" when they hit you up for donations.

Mike

Well hell, there goes The Nuremburg Defense. Now they're just complicit.

You know why the corporations who ask for donations are doing this right? It's because they are tired of the hassle of counting physical money (coins & bills) because it takes time & personnel to get it to the bank. Electronic donations are so easy & less hassle (BOOM & it's there)... Times have changed my friends...

See though, it's not the cashiers trying to get your money. I'm rarely rude to the cashiers, because it's company policy that they ask. Cashiers get fired for refusing to ask for donations.

I agree. Cashiers don't set store policy so I'm nice to them.

I also don't ask them to tell me the percentage of administrative overhead disappearing into the coffers of the charities themselves (CEO salaries, "operating costs," etc.) before the remainder actually goes to needy hands or medical research/care. Most store employees, even at the corporate level, don't know. When I donate (in private where I don't buy my beer and OJ), I do a little research and select organizations with the highest possible "put-through."

In addition to the signs, collection boxes and electronic prompting at the checkout stand, some Safeways don't verbally ask at all, and some ask 100%. So it's hard to blame cashiers. I spoke to the store "manager" at Forest Grove, explaining that it's unnecessary for the cashier to pimp me yet again as I'm handing over my money (in a tone seeming to imply that I'm, a cold-hearted b*stard if I actually pocket my change).

The "manager" of-the-moment didn't give a rat's *ss, and acted as if I was asking him to tell his bosses about my favorite color.

...at the register by corporations.

As you pay for your item it's always "would you like to donate too bla bla..." This happened 3 times at 3 different stores consecutively yesterday. Finally fed up, the third incident went like this: "Would you like to donate a dollar to Save The Children?" reply "No let them die". Needless to say that brought a dirty look. Why should I as a customer be put in a position to receive a dirty look and go away feeling harrassed after spending money? I already give to a favorite charity of choice of my own freewill and of no coercion and I'm tired of the "put them on the spot in public" guilt approach, AKA panhandling. Henceforth I will start informing such panhandlers that they are in fact panhandling to put them on the spot.

You said, let the children die?! Lmao
And your the moderator on this site?! Lol
THIS is why I like this site. Cause your a straight talker.
Love it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads