JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"(CNN) -- A 68-year-old Idaho man has been charged with misdemeanor battery after police say he struck a teen who would not turn off his iPhone while the plane they were in was taxiing for takeoff.

The incident took place Tuesday evening on a Southwest Airlines flight from Las Vegas to Boise, Idaho, said Lt. Kent Lipple of the Boise police.

The man, Russell Miller, was arrested after the plane landed, Lipple said.

Miller told police that the 15-year-old boy refused to turn off his phone after directions from the flight crew. The suspect "felt he was protecting the entire plane and its occupants," Lipple said.

According to the police report, Miller said he smacked the boy with the back of his hand to get his attention. Officer, however, said the incident left a mark on the boy's shoulder."

One question keeps coming to mind regarding this...... if having a phone on during take-off and landing is so bad, why didn't the flight crew do something to enforce this rule?

Sorry, no.

The old fart shoulda sat down and had a nice hot cup of shut the <deleted> up.

While I would agree that he should have probably have just got the flight attendants attention and pointed out the fact that the spoiled punk thought that the rules didn't apply to him, the question is why did the punk act like this?

This "do what you want, when you want to" society that our kids are being raised in today is to blame. Don't use the rod, spoil kid. Let them scream and throw a tantrum in the supermarket when they don't get the kind of candy or sugar coated cereal they want, give them all trophies at the end of the season, cause their "all special" and there are no winners or losers. Let them sit all day on the weekends and after school playing video's without any after school responsibilities, or because the tube is a more convenient way to occupy them,,, and this is what you get. Who's fault is it that the old boy wanted to smack the punk? ALL OF OURS, for allowing this "it takes a village" mentality to dictate how we raise our kids. While I don't condone beatings, a little corrective action taken with this kid a long time ago would have went a long way towards his future and how he treats, and respects others. Damn if this political correctness isn't destroying us.:(

While I would agree that he should have probably have just got the flight attendants attention and pointed out the fact that the spoiled punk thought that the rules didn't apply to him, the question is why did the punk act like this?

So you follow every rule, all the time, everywhere, regardless of how stupid or unnecessary it might be?

I know I don't.

I don't continue to use my phone on a plane only because I don't want a bunch of mouth breathing window lickers to get all panicky that I'm going to crash the plane. (if you disagree with my assessment of airline passengers, you don't fly enough)

But if people assault other people just for not following some arbitrary rule, our country would be one giant street brawl.

Phones do not disrupt things on airplanes..

All the RF in the air going through your heads and those planes at this very moment, are MUCH stronger than anything a cell phone can produce..

I don't see why this is a difficult concept tbh. Protecting people on the plane? From what? Bad music?

This does not sound like an "assault". Some arrogant punk was just given an attitude adjustment. So what. Is this poor kid going to be "traumatized" from all this? I don't think so. There used to be a time when kids acted unruly that an adult was expected to something. What have we become?

By someone who had no authority to do so, regarding something that was none of his business.

If you're not flight crew or LE requested for assistance by flight crew, you shouldn't be messing with people on planes. Period.

was the man wrong for hitting the kid? Yes absolutely... however, should the kid be deciding what rules are right or wrong and whether he should follow them? NO, especially when it puts others in danger.

By someone who had no authority to do so, regarding something that was none of his business.

If you're not flight crew or LE requested for assistance by flight crew, you shouldn't be messing with people on planes. Period.

The guy is 68 years old. How does he know that you can't set a bomb off with a cell phone that you've refused to turn off per the instructions? Maybe he really WAS doing it for everyone else. I know, I know, he shouldn't have hit him because thats not what we do in our society anymore because we've "evolved". Exactly what we've evolved from and into is a matter of opinion, whether its an improvement or not. The gentleman should have sat there and allowed the young punk to disrespect the authority that is given to flight crews by the government, and then if the flight crew had deemed it a problem he could have continued to sit there and allow the little prick to hold up everyone else while the LEOs came and got him. Sounds like lose/lose for that old guy. The kid will either learn from this experience, or he will kill himself because he was "bullied" bull-bubblegum

What the kid was doing, right or wrong, wasn't putting anyone in danger.

Serious?

This seems pretty logical to me, taken from an article in Sky Mag.

"It may only cause an annoyance to pilots, or worse... interfering with signals and communication, all the way up to a proven instance of turning off an auto pilot during flight (was actually a laptop).All can threaten safe operation of the plane during takeoff or landing when the airplane is close to the ground flying at high speeds with VERY little room for error. For this airlines take every precaution to ensure that no interference occurs."

Not sure why it seems it is so important to you to defend the kid? I give you the point on the guy hitting him, definitely was wrong. The kid not wanting to follow a simple rule for a few minutes until they are in the clear makes no sense though. Care to elaborate?

Not sure why it seems it is so important to you to defend the kid? I give you the point on the guy hitting him, definitely was wrong. The kid not wanting to follow a simple rule for a few minutes until they are in the clear makes no sense though. Care to elaborate?

I don't know where you're getting that I'm defending the kid.

I am not.

That still does NOT entitle people to go around assaulting people.

Something that has multiple repeated instances of occurring is spontaneous fire due to static electricity caused by cell phones in use at gas stations.

Since we already know that's a possibility, and we know that there are signs posted at the gas station stating NO using cell phones while pumping, should I go and start beating up anyone I see on the phone while pumping gas? After all, they're putting my life at risk.

Seems reasonable to me based on the assertions of so many in this thread.

"(CNN) -- Miller said he smacked the boy with the back of his hand to get his attention.

This is very far removed from "beating up". He gave him a backhanded smack to say -Hey idiot.......pay attention, you were told to turn it off. Now do it!-

Just a generation ago this would be expected. It is a shame that people now a days are so ULTRA sensitive to being corrected or reprimanded when they miss-behave.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top