JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I'm looking for clues to the identity of the revolver pictured below.

It's been refinished, and the barrel shortened up to make a snubby out of it and the process has removed most of the identifying marks.

Hammerless, top break frame. Unsure of the cartridge, maybe 38 S&W 38 special is too long. It has a trigger safety as well.

Distinctive look. Anyone have an idea of Model and maker?

Yes, it is an Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless, second series, with the safety lever on the trigger, produced around turn of century. Double action, top break. They came in .22, .32 S&W, .32 S&W long and .38 S&W in several barrel lengths. If it is six shot, it is the .32 long.

I don't recall much about the safety lever and how it worked.

My father carried one for years. He had a S&W Chief's Special and a Colt Banker's Special but always preferred the .32 IJ for some reason. First handgun I ever fired. My dufus brother in law sold it after my father died and before I could get to it. I would have offered him ten times the money for the $40 he sold it for. In-laws.....

They don't fetch much, usually around $100-150 or so in average shape. They weren't real high quality guns, but they weren't bad either. There was a member here that had one for sale last summer as I recall. And there is a dealer that seems to always have them for sale on Guns of America.

Thanks for the help. I have been trying to identify it for a friend. Sadly it's currently not shootable. I think some dufus used it with some modern 38 S&W. This gun was made for black powder loads. Still it's a little piece of history in steel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top