JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lawsuit: Idaho Father Killed By Doomsday Prepper Deputy In Bull Euthanasia Gone Awry

" a man shot to death by a sheriff's deputy after being asked to euthanize his bull "

The sheriff's office called Jack Yantis during dinner. A car had struck one of Yantis' bulls, and the animal needed to be put down. Minutes later, Jack Yantis would be dead beside his animal.

But before they could reach it, six shots echoed from the road. Deputy Brian Wood had used his personal AR-15 gun to fire six non-lethal shots into the animal.

Yantis arrived at the bull, carrying a bolt-action rifle. He appeared less than pleased to see Wood and his semi-automatic gun.
"Put that piece of bubblegum away," Wood claims Yantis said of the AR-15. Yantis loaded his own rifle and lined up to fire at the bull. No one agrees what happened next.

Last Edited:
This is a two year old story:
The events of that November 2015 night remain the subject of fierce debate in Adams County, Idaho, where Yantis and his family owned a cattle ranch. When Yantis and his family went outside to shoot the bull, they encountered two sheriff's deputies at the scene. The deputies fired at least 14 shots at Yantis, killing him on the spot. Both deputies claimed the shooting was in self-defense.

Albeit that the facts are still upsetting and I'm not sure of the out come as yet, THIS IS NOT A RECENT EVENT!
I would like to see all the updates and some closure for this family.

This is a two year old story:
The events of that November 2015 night remain the subject of fierce debate in Adams County, Idaho, where Yantis and his family owned a cattle ranch. When Yantis and his family went outside to shoot the bull, they encountered two sheriff's deputies at the scene. The deputies fired at least 14 shots at Yantis, killing him on the spot. Both deputies claimed the shooting was in self-defense.

Albeit that the facts are still upsetting and I'm not sure of the out come as yet, THIS IS NOT A RECENT EVENT!
I would like to see all the updates and some closure for this family.

The family is suing.
Idaho rancher's family files wrongful death lawsuit

Ray

Many moons ago, my Bride and I had stopped by my Road Sargents' house and found him "trying" to put down a Steer with nothing but a pocket knife! Not cool. I've been known to Carry a Smith and Wesson Model 41 when I travel so I brought it out and with one shot into the Brain the Steer was ready for butchering. The Bride was nice enough to let us use the new Gerber Chefs' Knife that I had just presented her as her Anniversary to do the Butchering job.

An AR is a bit of Overkill but then there are some that think the AR is Simply useless for anything!:eek::eek::eek:

Lawsuit: Idaho Father Killed By Doomsday Prepper Deputy In Bull Euthanasia Gone Awry

" a man shot to death by a sheriff's deputy after being asked to euthanize his bull "
I could not find the date on this article that showed new info as the one quoted below definitely shows a current date of Oct. 20, 2017
I apologize to the OP for castigating his rehashing old info and bow my head in shame ( can't seem to get smilies to open for an appropriate visual).
I do wish this family al the best in this case I do remember when it first came to view and thought that it showed MORE callous police work similar to other BLM, and other heavy handed police /citizen confrontations.

I know a lot about this. It happened just up the road from me and in the neighboring county. Our sherif office was heavily involved with the investigation (enough said about that) and supporting Adams county when needed. There was so much false garbage in the media about the event that when the truth finally came out many people didn't believe it. I use the event as an example why good fences are imperative for livestock. Jack was killed because he didn't keep his fence in good repair. He was a well known hot head and drunk with long running issues with law enforcement in general. After the bull was hit he was still pretty mobile (and mad) he was charging the first responders. (This is where the Deputies screwed up in my opinion) so, as cops are taught, they tried to shoot him.....and pumped a bunch of pistol rounds into his (center mass) chest. It just made him madder. They had called Jack down to dispatch the bull. Jack had already been drinking and when he got there with his rifle was rightfully upset about the Deputies inept actions to cleanly kill the bull he had raised from a calf so there were words exchanged. (any rural person should know a single bullet to the brain with a 22 always works) Here it gets confused, one of the Deputies put his hand on Jacks shoulder from behind, Jack swung around and fired his rifle (rumor is the bullet went through the Deputies jacket, the empty casing was found still in the rifle chamber). Both Deputies fired on and killed Jack. The incident created a huge turmoil in Adams county. So much that the Idaho Highway patrol and Washington county Sherrif took over most of the LE duties for a period of time. Jacks family and friends were all over the media calling it a murder while the Sherrif could only say that the investigation (By the ISP and Idaho attorney general ) was ongoing. We drove through the county last weekend and there are still signs seeking "justice for Jack" along the road. The Adams county Sherrif is a great young guy (Ryan Zollman) from the area that I knew before the incident. There was a huge push to elect another candate the election a year or so later but Ryan won with overwhelming support from his constituents. The investigations cleared the Deputies although they are no longer working for the department.

Last Edited:
Another side effect of this accident was outrage by the liberal snowflakes that hit the bull (Subaru drivers). Idaho has designated all areas outside city limits as open range. If you hit livestock on the highway, it is your fault, you have to pay for it and have no recourse against the rancher. It seems that a bunch of Boise liberals didn't understand that and were furious that there was no one they could sue for damages. There was a brief bill introduced into the legislature to change the law but it was pretty quickly laughed out of the chamber by the Governor and majority of the lawmakers. It is another example of here in Idaho, the urban areas have not yet overtaken the rural with influence in the state. It was in the news for a few days and has since disappeared.

Sounds to me like a lot of things went wrong on both sides.
I agree but the only criminal thing was Jack shooting at (or towards) the deputies. When It happened, we were in Europe but as soon as they said both Deputies had fired, I surmised there was another problem.

An AR is a bit of Overkill but then there are some that think the AR is Simply useless for anything!:eek::eek::eek:
Some police departments and sheriff departments will have ARs in the trunk of their cars. Not all, at least not to my knowledge, do that. But I do know some do.

I don't think they're gonna go out of their way to get a different gun when they already have one on hand or nearby.

As far as putting down an animal goes. The rest of the situation? I don't know all the facts but yeah... Sad it happened and the sheriff deputies are in the wrong.

I'm just of the opinion that the AR-15 is Overkill as a long gun for LEOs on a day to day basis. And, this is a good example of just that. Spray and Pray came into being with the M-16 and the World hasn't been the same since. And that's not a Good change in my opinion.

You'd think spray and pray came with the submachine guns, as well as the STG-44 and AK-47, that came before the M16. :rolleyes:

They have them for the same reason they switched from revolvers to pistols that use detachable magazines. Technology changes, and criminals will take advantage of that. If the police stay too far behind, then there's no point in having them.

My reference - Spray & Pray - was the US Military because not everyone was issued a machine gun prior to the M-16 and when they were there was additional training. I have no idea if those Officers had received any training whatsoever but I have seen Departments who provide little if any and that can be scary.

Even now the idea is to not actually spray and pray. ;) Its able to be semiauto for a reason (and probably where most M4s and M16s spend their time).

Depends on departments but my guess is most just have you qualify once a year. That being said, police do have ARs and Glocks and such for a reason. Technology advances, either go with it or criminals outgun you. The issue is probably they don't train them like they should.

They've been teaching Spray & Pray for 40+ years. It isn't going to go away over night. And, we're seeing it more and more at the Ranges with people who are simply dumping Magazine after Magazine into the backstops without caring if they even hit the Target; let alone actually scored a hit in the X-ring.

Sounds more anecdotal than a statement that applies across the board. I haven't seen many people just do mag dumps at the range (most here don't).

But as for training, they aren't training them to just put it on full auto (if you even get issued one with full auto instead of burst, are they doing burst only still?) and hope for the best.

Miami FBI gunfight, L.A./Hollywood bank robber shootout.... I agree with Boboclown here.

Anybody remember the M1 carbine, the Thompson????

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top