JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
" Cross reportedly told investigators he had a habit of fidgeting with his gun. "

"... in the school cafeteria repeatedly taking his gun out of its holster and putting back in when he fired the weapon. "

" Prosecutors declined to pursue a criminal negligence charge against Cross. " -- Well, he was a cop.

I recall this story when it happened, considered it to be a stupid move back then, and consider not charging him to be even more stupider....

If it was a citizen with a CCW/CHL, you can be rest assured that they would have been charged with the negligent discharge of a firearm...

More double standards, shouldn't be tolerated. Besides what's wrong with this individual the he must fidget with his service weapon???

" Prosecutors declined to pursue a criminal negligence charge against Cross. " -- Well, he was a cop.

He was a dumbazz, but can you explain to me how he was "criminally negligent"? Was anybody hurt? How much damage was caused that he would be "criminally negligent" rather than civilly liable?

OK, I just need to know one thing.
1. Are people like this born stupid?
2. Does stupidity slowly creep up on them as they get older.
3. Or---do they wake up one morning and say,"OK, I'm an idiot".

I do believe this covers it as a "public place" as it was in a public middle school...

Thanx!

I think even a public defender could get him off on that law as written... probably the police union would take issue and fend off any charges. Because:

790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm

Bad holster and poor firearm safety. This guy is strictly to blame.. if a civilian did the same (in a school no less) we'd recieve harsh punishment and be made examples of..
Meanwhile leos seem to get the "whoopsies" treatment.. He is an example of how not to act and what not to do. Who "fidgets" with a gun near kids?! .. get one of those toy spinners or take your damn Ritalin.

Perhaps there could have been a case made for "reckless endangerment"... seems to be the most apt to me. However, both the school, the officer, and the dept are on record as saying nobody was endangered. Ooops.

He was a dumbazz, but can you explain to me how he was "criminally negligent"? Was anybody hurt? How much damage was caused that he would be "criminally negligent" rather than civilly liable?

It would probably depend on where it happened but, assuming it was legal for a CC holder to have a gun at school and they did this? I could easily see them being charged. Now they may not be convicted, most likely they would try to get them to plead but, I can certainly see them trying. Look how many parents would be waving signs and screaming for the person to be hung?
As for this LEO I had to laugh only because no one was hurt. If he had hurt a kid? Man the media would have had a field day with this.

Bad holster and poor firearm safety. This guy is strictly to blame.. if a civilian did the same (in a school no less) we'd recieve harsh punishment and be made examples of..
Meanwhile leos seem to get the "whoopsies" treatment.. He is an example of how not to act and what not to do. Who "fidgets" with a gun near kids?! .. get one of those toy spinners or take your damn Ritalin.
I was thinking the spinner thing too :D
They did fire him so it was not really a slap on the hand. Guy lost his job and will play hell ever getting hired as an LEO anywhere else after this. It may well have cost him a career.

It would probably depend on where it happened but, assuming it was legal for a CC holder to have a gun at school and they did this? I could easily see them being charged. Now they may not be convicted, most likely they would try to get them to plead but, I can certainly see them trying. Look how many parents would be waving signs and screaming for the person to be hung?

Yup, agreed. Near as I can figure, since I haven't slept at a Holiday Inn for awhile, it would be "reckless endangerment", unless they had something better. I don't think there is a statute named "negligent discharge", nor do I think "criminal negligence" applies since nobody got hurt.

I was thinking the spinner thing too :D
They did fire him so it was not really a slap on the hand. Guy lost his job and will play hell ever getting hired as an LEO anywhere else after this. It may well have cost him a career.
Shouldn't have been playing with his service sidearm, kinda childish really. At the end of the day, it was self inflicted.

Yup, agreed. Near as I can figure, since I haven't slept at a Holiday Inn for awhile, it would be "reckless endangerment", unless they had something better. I don't think there is a statute named "negligent discharge", nor do I think "criminal negligence" applies since nobody got hurt.

Yep, a lot of places would throw charges at the person just to keep the parents calm. Even if they had no intention of winning a case it would calm the hordes who would be up in arms when they heard about it. Then months later when all was dropped most would have forgotten all about it.
This guy is paying a high price (as he should) for this. He did lose his damn job, which I agree completely with. Not to mention he would play hell getting another LEO job, also as it should be. Sounds like he was in job he no business in to begin with. If you can't handle your duty piece when nothing is happening what are the chances he could safely handle a gun when something was going of around him? This kind of idiot is the one who shoots some co worker or innocent.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews