JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am semi new to Portland and I have never been hunting. I would love to go bird hunting but dont know where to go. Is there anyone here that would like to teach me the ropes or at least point me in the right direction.

Welcome to hunting and the forum.
Google will be your new best friend, there is endless amounts of information on how to hunt, when to hunt and where to hunt. Odfw is a good source as well neighbors or people you work with. You also might wanna be a little more specific as to what kind of bird (quail, grouse, turkey, goose,duck, etc...)hunting and you might draw somebody on this site that has the info your looking for. Most us started hunting before smart phones or Google and actually had to go out and teach ourselves and learn the ropes.
Good luck to you and welcome to hunting :)

Joke.
Hope you can find someone to help ,it's a kick in the backside.
If you want to bird hunt go get ya a cheap shotgun at a pawn shop. (Remember used shotguns sit around forever,don't pay much) Then find a pit and maybe try shooting clays out there. Take a friend to throw them for you. Get used to the gun.
You didn't say how much experience you have with guns,so maybe get some schooling? You will need to take the hunter education class to get a license anyway.
So if you start now and get used to the recoil of the gun you should be able to hit something by hunting season.
Then you find some logging roads to walk. At first light. Find roads where it's legal to shoot,btw. Lol
Hey good luck. I have loved bird hunting for most of my life. I'm a terrible shot but it a great time in the out of doors

Joke.
Hope you can find someone to help ,it's a kick in the backside.
If you want to bird hunt go get ya a cheap shotgun at a pawn shop. (Remember used shotguns sit around forever,don't pay much) Then find a pit and maybe try shooting clays out there. Take a friend to throw them for you. Get used to the gun.
You didn't say how much experience you have with guns,so maybe get some schooling? You will need to take the hunter education class to get a license anyway.
So if you start now and get used to the recoil of the gun you should be able to hit something by hunting season.
Then you find some logging roads to walk. At first light. Find roads where it's legal to shoot,btw. Lol
Hey good luck. I have loved bird hunting for most of my life. I'm a terrible shot but it a great time in the out of doors

I should have said i grew up shooting and i can hit a clay most the time. I have a Remington 870 that i will be using. I would like to get some duck or pheasant. I will start to look around and i will take the hunter safety class ASAP. I also have a few pistols and will be getting a long rifle next. This is a good start though so thank you for the help.

Welcome to hunting and the forum.
Google will be your new best friend, there is endless amounts of information on how to hunt, when to hunt and where to hunt. Odfw is a good source as well neighbors or people you work with. You also might wanna be a little more specific as to what kind of bird (quail, grouse, turkey, goose,duck, etc...)hunting and you might draw somebody on this site that has the info your looking for. Most us started hunting before smart phones or Google and actually had to go out and teach ourselves and learn the ropes.
Good luck to you and welcome to hunting :)

That's very true, WB33! But there were a lot less people around!

OP, good luck on your venture into hunting! It's a gas! These days I might decide what I'd like to hunt and where, and then book a guide for the first hunt. Expensive, but a quick way to absorb a lot of top notch information! :)

If you have a shotgun I would look at some of the bird reserves over by madras, you can go shoot birds and all you need is a shotgun and some money.

So I am semi new to Portland and I have never been hunting. I would love to go bird hunting but dont know where to go. Is there anyone here that would like to teach me the ropes or at least point me in the right direction.
Google, YouTube, and ODFW hunting access map are your best friends. That and practice. Practice with your weapon in different terrain and weather until you feel confident you can make a shot in all types of conditions. This forum also can help you out. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, we don't bite.
IMG_0898.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top