JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are 1.4x and 2.0x extenders. I wouldn't touch the 2.0x because of the image quality that it robs.

The 1.4x would get me out to 560mm but it costs you an f-stop, so I'd be at 560mm f/8 and yea, it also robs *some* image quality...but not so much as to be useless.

The problem here is that neither my 5Dmk2 nor 60D have an autofocus system capable of operating at that aperture. My film 1V does just fine. If I wanted digital to operate, I'd need to invest in a newer and possibly higher tier camera.

If you're used to shooting old school cameras, then you probably remember the focusing aid on the ground glass...either a microprism, split screen, or both. Once things went autofocus, these aids wen't out the window. Manually focusing at 560mm, with no aid, and at f/8's worth of light is...really, really difficult.

So, yea, there are some extenders...but they add quite a bit of challenge to use.

F8 - phew boy!

The manual lens focus aid looked something like this:

focus3.jpg

F8 - phew boy!

The manual lens focus aid looked something like this:

If using an SLR, yea, that shows the split screen / Microprism.

If using a rangefinder, then an image was superimposed onto the scene. When the virtual image lined up with the real, then that part was in focus: (note the superimposed railing not currently in focus. This is from a Canon 7s rangefinder)

IMG_6897.JPG

If using an SLR, yea, that shows the split screen / Microprism.

If using a rangefinder, then an image was superimposed onto the scene. When the virtual image lined up with the real, then that part was in focus: (note the superimposed railing not currently in focus. This is from a Canon 7s rangefinder)

The image I posted was similar to the view thru the SLR/mirror on my Nikomat/Nikkor-P combo. Not a rangefinder, a focus aid.

I had a rangefinder for golf that used the superposed images like the one you posted. But newer rangefinders for golf us a laser. When I played golf, I liked to just wing it with old fashioned brain sense, more fun that way. There are plenty of range markers around, and at my level of play it really didn't matter until I was approaching the green. Pretty big diff between a 60yd shot and a 90yd shot. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top