JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I still shoot film, though I don't take as many pictures as I used to. My Zeiss Ikon Contessa (folding rangefinder), Holga, and Instax wide see the most usage these days. I've got a few Minoltas, a Canon Av-1 (my first camera), a Mamiya 1000s, a couple half-frame cameras, a few folding Kodaks from the early 1900s, and a few more that I can't remember at the moment... Four of those need to be tuned up and a few are just "wall hangers". I shot digital for a while but never really liked it compared to film.
A Contessa? That's awesome. The only Zeiss I have is an Ikoflex TLR. Just had it serviced as something broke with the shutter mechanism. Got it off an older gent who still had the box and manual! Unfortunately, the manual is in English...was really hoping for German.

I've played around with the folding Kodaks...but get tired of making the film for them. Have you found an efficient method to get 120 down to 127 size?

:eek:

LOL.... $600 = 6yrs of spending money, a good rifle or pistol, or somewhere between 6 and 12 cheap scopes/optics. Or an RMR slide and a good red dot. :D

Priorities man!!!
lol. My priority NOW is firearms. My priority for the last ~decade has been photography...but I've got all the collection I could ever want at this point...unless something just drops out of the sky for me, like a killer deal on a 200 - 400 f/4L IS w/ built in 1.4x ;)

A Contessa? That's awesome. The only Zeiss I have is an Ikoflex TLR. Just had it serviced as something broke with the shutter mechanism. Got it off an older gent who still had the box and manual! Unfortunately, the manual is in English...was really hoping for German.

I've played around with the folding Kodaks...but get tired of making the film for them. Have you found an efficient method to get 120 down to 127 size?
The working folder I have is a No1 Autographic (maybe No1A, can't remember at the moment) that takes 116 film, so actually larger than 120. It came with a few spools which I adapted for 120 film. The other folder I have takes 127 but it's too hammered to be a shooter. I think my Brownie is 127 too, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

I don't have a TLR, though I've wanted one for years. The Ikoflex is a classy one!

That's a lot, but it's not as much as a F4 Phantom II or one of the few remaining Corsairs in flying condition! ;):)
You know, it was a goal of mine to hit the Air Force Academy and attempt to get to fly. Phantoms were before my time but I was hoping that maybe I'd get a shot through someone's private version or maybe an old AF version they keep around for training...3 crushed and burst vertebra as a teen pretty much quashed that dream though :(. Maybe one of these days I'll win the lotto and buy myself one ;-).

I've an old Olympus OMPC. I haven't used it in many moons. Since the digital age, I have no interest in film cameras anymore.
If you have any lenses under 35mm or over 70mm that also happen to be under f/2.2 ... I may be interested in buying them from you. PM me if you do!

You know, it was a goal of mine to hit the Air Force Academy and attempt to get to fly. Phantoms were before my time but I was hoping that maybe I'd get a shot through someone's private version or maybe an old AF version they keep around for training...3 crushed and burst vertebra as a teen pretty much quashed that dream though :(. Maybe one of these days I'll win the lotto and buy myself one ;-).

When I was young I wanted to be a jet fighter pilot.... bad vision kept me from applying since a support job wouldn't have been what I wanted. Later one of my neighbors that was an airedale in the USCG informed me that I could fly with them as long as my vision was correctable with glasses or contacts. So I signed a 4yr enlistment with no school guarantee, then extended to 5 in order to get Aviation Electronics school. Earned my wings after training in San Diego. It was not jet fighters, but it was very rewarding.

Sorry to hear about your verteba! Was it sports or vehicular?

Oh great photo nerds! :D Just kidding, it is another interest I would like to get into if I only had the time and money. Here are a few of my amateur shots with cheap digital. 4377417F-5B59-448A-B301-EE9185DF84C2.jpeg AAEA9A65-D53F-4597-A060-2C09051CAE05.jpeg F0EA867D-994F-44B5-BAE5-E0718FD0B2D1.jpeg 2423ED9F-E254-45A7-9AE2-6360AF7647B3.jpeg 7DEA2399-8FBF-48B0-8687-84543C4F99A8.jpeg 7F70E4DC-A17F-42EF-BD3D-C0290BC7EDF7.jpeg

Last Edited:
The working folder I have is a No1 Autographic (maybe No1A, can't remember at the moment) that takes 116 film, so actually larger than 120. It came with a few spools which I adapted for 120 film. The other folder I have takes 127 but it's too hammered to be a shooter. I think my Brownie is 127 too, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

I don't have a TLR, though I've wanted one for years. The Ikoflex is a classy one!
These are my two:

IMG_6892.JPG

IMG_6893.JPG

IMG_6894.JPG

The Yashica I found on the latter half of my honeymoon in Finland (Helsinki). I was stoked at it's small size and great condition...only later did I realize it shot 127...It doesn't get out as much as it should.

The Ikoflex I found using OfferUp or LetGo or ...one of those mobile garage sale apps ... and got it off a guy in Hillsboro. I've actually picked up a good deal of vintage stuff off those apps (including a 4"x5"!) and Pro Photo Supply also gets some things in from time to time (pricier though).

When I was young I wanted to be a jet fighter pilot.... bad vision kept me from applying since a support job wouldn't have been what I wanted. Later one of my neighbors that was an airedale in the USCG informed me that I could fly with them as long as my vision was correctable with glasses or contacts. So I signed a 4yr enlistment with no school guarantee, then extended to 5 in order to get Aviation Electronics school. Earned my wings after training in San Diego. It was not jet fighters, but it was very rewarding.

Sorry to hear about your verteba! Was it sports or vehicular?
Sports. Got into Rock Climbing at the age of 12. Was dropped at the age of 14 and was told that I was a millimeter or two from getting wheels in trade for toes and to stay away from hard impacts as the bone structure wouldn't take another hit. I turned around and kept climbing, even coming in 2nd in a regional competition around ~21 or 22. But I became a tad paranoid after all that and have since turned in my harness. It's possible I may get back into things in the future, but it'd be easy trad only. My doctor has technically never cleared me to even lift more than 50lbs, so, I never stood a chance after that.

That's awesome that you still found a way to fly!

Sports. Got into Rock Climbing at the age of 12. Was dropped at the age of 14 and was told that I was a millimeter or two from getting wheels in trade for toes and to stay away from hard impacts as the bone structure wouldn't take another hit. I turned around and kept climbing, even coming in 2nd in a regional competition around ~21 or 22. But I became a tad paranoid after all that and have since turned in my harness. It's possible I may get back into things in the future, but it'd be easy trad only. My doctor has technically never cleared me to even lift more than 50lbs, so, I never stood a chance after that.

That's awesome that you still found a way to fly!

That's great that you kept your drive and zest for living! Reminds me of my first radio biz boss... he had his back broken saving his ground crew from a falling Rohn25 tower section, but kept doing tower work well into his 60s. The guy was a former Marine... tough dude.

My oldest brother was into rock climbing until he had a bad fall. I used to think it was imprudent since he had a family to support and risky sports puts that into jeopardy. Same for motorcycle, sky diving, etc; reason I didn't take up scuba diving until my kids were gone. I picked up a lot of dead divers in my time with USCG.

What is "easy trad"? Please don't put your back/legs at risk!!

Oh great photo nerds! :D Just kidding, it is another interest I would like to get into if I only had the time and money. Here are a few of my amateur shots with cheap digital.

That buck shot is awesome!

Cost of cameras has become pretty cheap, especially older digital. Lenses have come down too, but are still way up high...especially if wildlife is the goal. I use a Canon 400mm f/5.6L for my wildlife stuff and consider it the longest reach for the buck in the 35mm lineup...but it's still not long enough a lot of the time and the max f/5.6 leaves a lot to be desired. Still, the results aren't too shabby:

vDUGQ-2.JPG
(Picture of a print...shot on 135 film [FP4 IIRC], souped in Rodinal, printed onto Ilford Multigrade RC)

use a Canon 400mm f/5.6L for my wildlife stuff and consider it the longest reach for the buck in the 35mm lineup...but it's still not long enough a lot of the time and the max f/5.6 leaves a lot to be desired. Still, the results aren't too shabby:

They make a doubler for that lens/body?

That's great that you kept your drive and zest for living! Reminds me of my first radio biz boss... he had his back broken saving his ground crew from a falling Rohn25 tower section, but kept doing tower work well into his 60s. The guy was a former Marine... tough dude.

My oldest brother was into rock climbing until he had a bad fall. I used to think it was imprudent since he had a family to support and risky sports puts that into jeopardy. Same for motorcycle, sky diving, etc; reason I didn't take up scuba diving until my kids were gone. I picked up a lot of dead divers in my time with USCG.

What is "easy trad"? Please don't put your back/legs at risk!!
Yea, having a toddler changes the rules of the game just a bit.

There's two ways to climb: sport and trad(ational). Sport is where someone before you has set up protection of the route. This is done using bolts. They drill a hole into the rock and insert either an expansion bolt or epoxied bolt into the hole...which you will then clip the rope into as you ascend. If you fall, the bolt saves your bacon.

With trad, there are no bolts. You're typically climbing a crack/fissure/series of cracks and place gear into those cracks to protect against a fall. Some of that gear is linked below.

Newbie climbers consider trad more dangerous because they trust bolts more (and indeed, a properly set bolt can take a beating and will probably outlive you and me). But, the fact that you're climbing a crack means you've always got a way to hold on. And you're not relying on bolts and however far they're spaced...you get to place gear wherever you want. So, easy trad is, to me, the least risky way to go.

This shows two forms of pro, cams and nuts: Lead Climbing: How to Place Trad Gear | REI Expert Advice
There's also hexes, tricams, ballnuts, and some others. Hell, in the 50's they used camp stove legs as pitons...glad those days are long gone ;).

They make a doubler for that lens/body?
There are 1.4x and 2.0x extenders. I wouldn't touch the 2.0x because of the image quality that it robs.

The 1.4x would get me out to 560mm but it costs you an f-stop, so I'd be at 560mm f/8 and yea, it also robs *some* image quality...but not so much as to be useless.

The problem here is that neither my 5Dmk2 nor 60D have an autofocus system capable of operating at that aperture. My film 1V does just fine. If I wanted digital to operate, I'd need to invest in a newer and possibly higher tier camera.

If you're used to shooting old school cameras, then you probably remember the focusing aid on the ground glass...either a microprism, split screen, or both. Once things went autofocus, these aids wen't out the window. Manually focusing at 560mm, with no aid, and at f/8's worth of light is...really, really difficult.

So, yea, there are some extenders...but they add quite a bit of challenge to use.

Never trust the guy above you, or..... you MUST trust the guy/gal above you???
Someone's gotta go up first. The belayer is below. So, technically, it's trust the guy below you.

The joke also goes: spread your legs and trust the rubber. (climbing shoes)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top