JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Congratulations and thank you for both services. Now is the time to live life at your pace and catch up on all that stuff you were going to do but didn't have the time for.

I retired today from my second career: 22 years in the USN (Subs) followed by 26 1/2 years as an LEO. Lots of good memories but they are all about the men and women that I was privileged to work along side of and not of the jobs themselves.

I am tired. Too tired really and need to rest. I have no wisdom to share other than to remark that maybe we should all be a little more forgiving of one another.

At any rate my wife and I will be moving to eastern Washington, one of these days, to be closer to my parents and to get some more sun (and heat and cold and wind.)
Congratulations, Shipmate! Sometimes I miss punching holes. Enjoy your retirement.

I retired today from my second career: 22 years in the USN (Subs) followed by 26 1/2 years as an LEO. Lots of good memories but they are all about the men and women that I was privileged to work along side of and not of the jobs themselves.

I am tired. Too tired really and need to rest. I have no wisdom to share other than to remark that maybe we should all be a little more forgiving of one another.

At any rate my wife and I will be moving to eastern Washington, one of these days, to be closer to my parents and to get some more sun (and heat and cold and wind.)
First thank you for your service in both careers. I had a similar career path as you. 6 years Air Force then 24 years in Police work too, but in South Florida. Within days of retirement we moved to Eastern Washington, and have never doubted or second guessed that move. One thing you will miss is the camaraderie. My one suggestion is after you get settled, is stay busy. Congratulations and good luck.

Welcome aboard the retired roles. You and I are much the same except I did the Corps before the LEO. I miss a lot of the folks I had the privilege of working with. At least the wake you up in the middle of the night dreams are getting less frequent now.

I still scratch my head over sailors who get aboard a boat that intentionally sinks ... hmmmm.

Congratulations Bon! You'll never regret the decision to mover closer to your folks. You're fortunate to have a supportive spouse.

On a similar track to yours, I retired military in 1997 (with some LEO during that time), then 20 years of various civilian careers from which I finally retired for good in 2017.

What have I found since then? Never been so busy in my life. Always something to plan, fix, chase, resolve - usually for others. But this time around it's people/situations I care about.

This insane world situation will stabilize at some point and you'll get to enjoy what you worked so hard for. You deserve it.

Last Edited:
I retired about 25 years ago.

First couple of years, I didn't what to do with myself.

Overall, kinda bummed. I moped....

Then, it was ballotas to the wall with a variety of fun stuff activity to include a lot of volunteering for State Parks and one (Aransas National Wildlife Refuge) wildlife refuge. Lots and lots of wadefishing, kayaking, and rekindled my love of scuba diving.

Get busy or you may find yourself bummed, otherwise known as depressed...

Awesome brother! I am a year behind you! 4 years Navy and over 25 now as LEO on the Oregon side. I'm not sure if we will stay local or not but my dream is to at least find a chunk of property of my own where I can have my own shooting range and mess around on ATV's. Open to suggestions! ;)

Congratulations on your retirement, and thank you for your double service. And to anyone on the left side of the Cascades, I strongly urge to "Go East, young man!" Seriously, born in Raymond, Wa, raised in Tacoma, back when it was a decent place to raise a family and after brief stints in other spots, settled in Kennewick for the past 37 years. Hate to travel west to see family. We do have a very inexpensive gun club here in the Tri-Cities, 100 and 200 yard target stands and steel, closer range for pistol and rimfire. Check out tcmsa.org , if you are looking for a good landing spot.

Thank you so much for your service and congratulations on your well earned retirement. You have made a real positive contribution to the lives of so many and to our country. Not everyone can say that. I salute you sir.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews