JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You got access to the attic?
Installing can lights is pretty easy. Take your time and do it right.

The wiring of a 220v outlet isnt difficult either. I installed one in my garage for my welder. I had the help of a tradesman via phone and pictures back and forth.
Definitely not for the faint of heart.

You got access to the attic?
Installing can lights is pretty easy. Take your time and do it right.

The wiring of a 220v outlet isnt difficult either. I installed one in my garage for my welder. I had the help of a tradesman via phone and pictures back and forth.
Definitely not for the faint of heart.

I dont have access to the attic where the lights will be but i am going to install them myself. I really think i only need help with the 220v plug in the garage. I want to set it up for welding.

Where is your electrical panel at?
I was lucky, mine is in the garage, where my welder is. I had an empty receptacle about 2 feet below the panel. I located a dead circuit in the panel. Removed the breaker. Pulled 6 gauge romex through. Installed the appropriate sized breaker, which in my case was a 50 amp. Wired the receptacle properly, mounted it in the box. Then made the connection to the breaker. Tested it for power and tested the welder. I also built a 45 foot extension cord for the welder to reach my desired welding location.
If you dont have a similar situation but have the panel in the garage you might want to look at running the electrical in a surface mount situation if there is some distance between the panel and where you want to plug in the welder.

I am not an electrician but do have a tradesman friend that was plenty willing to help via texts and pictures. I made sure to do a lot of reading from multiple sources to make sure i was doing the correct thing(it never hurts to have to much information, in my opinion).

Where is your electrical panel at?
I was lucky, mine is in the garage, where my welder is. I had an empty receptacle about 2 feet below the panel. I located a dead circuit in the panel. Removed the breaker. Pulled 6 gauge romex through. Installed the appropriate sized breaker, which in my case was a 50 amp. Wired the receptacle properly, mounted it in the box. Then made the connection to the breaker. Tested it for power and tested the welder. I also built a 45 foot extension cord for the welder to reach my desired welding location.
If you dont have a similar situation but have the panel in the garage you might want to look at running the electrical in a surface mount situation if there is some distance between the panel and where you want to plug in the welder.

I am not an electrician but do have a tradesman friend that was plenty willing to help via texts and pictures. I made sure to do a lot of reading from multiple sources to make sure i was doing the correct thing(it never hurts to have to much information, in my opinion).

Oh if it were only that easy in my house. My panel is on the 3rd floor of my house. I have to run all the wire up 3 flights and i dont want to do that. I would like to have someone come out and take a look and see if there is a better option. I have a furnace and water heater in the garage so i dont know if they can piggy back of any of the existing wires or not.

Oh if it were only that easy in my house. My panel is on the 3rd floor of my house. I have to run all the wire up 3 flights and i dont want to do that. I would like to have someone come out and take a look and see if there is a better option. I have a furnace and water heater in the garage so i dont know if they can piggy back of any of the existing wires or not.

Ooohhh. That sounds like fun.
Probably a sub panel is the way to go in that situation.
But you are correct, a electrician would be the best bet to get it set up correctly.

At work we have been using Alameda Electric. They are super nice, knowledgeable, and busy. I was a bit skeptical when i needed them to come in and run a new circuit for me. Give them a call. I have some stuff here at home that i need done and they will be the electrical contractor i use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top