JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yes, i do. its OK to rebuild a part but like youre saying, if its tweaked at all or gets tweaked from installing new bushings, the guy wont know until its on the alignment rack. absolutely do ball joints at the same time.might be worth asking what the price difference is between parts and labor. should be less labor to replace complete control arms than to rebuild. if you get an estimate, feel free to PM me and i can look up and verify labor times for you to see if youre gettin a fair deal

I'm curious what you think of the after market stuff. The model has been out for may years so there's a lot of non-OEM. I see some that are under $50.00 for a pair of arms, makes me suspicious. But $100.0+ for one makes me suspicious too. Long time brands, (like Moog?) are probably good. Then "Detroit Axle", sounds like a "Central Pneumatic" from HF. :rolleyes:

Appreciate that offer of a PM once I find something. :s0155:

Gotta love that OWM Honda mark up.
200% was the norm back in my day of wrenching.
The pull tags use to have the real price on them.
And taking the car to a dealer for service, BEND OVER.

I've always jacked the front end up and used a quality (taller than average) set of stands to get the vehicle to a comfortable 2ft working height. My jack stands are made from parts of early rearends. I'm not sure the axles (3-piece) they were built from, but they bolted to the pumpkin (ring/pinion) case.

A couple of years out of high school I went to work in a Honda Motorcycle shop. The parts guy was a kid I'd known in high school. As a recall, the mark up at the time was 300% on parts under $50.00.

I'd been taking this car to Tonkin, where we bought it, for all service until about a year ago. They jacked the the oil chenge from the previous high of $35.00 up to $59.00. I had it done that last time. I'll do things myself now such as brakes, belts, valve adjust. Not brake fluid exchange or tranny service, or hard part exchange.

Tonkin must have lost a bunch of biz because they now offer coupons for $34.95 express lubes again. I'll let them do it for that.

I'm curious what you think of the after market stuff. The model has been out for may years so there's a lot of non-OEM. I see some that are under $50.00 for a pair of arms, makes me suspicious. But $100.0+ for one makes me suspicious too. Long time brands, (like Moog?) are probably good. Then "Detroit Axle", sounds like a "Central Pneumatic" from HF. :rolleyes:

Appreciate that offer of a PM once I find something. :s0155:

A couple of years out of high school I went to work in a Honda Motorcycle shop. The parts guy was a kid I'd known in high school. As a recall, the mark up at the time was 300% on parts under $50.00.

I'd been taking this car to Tonkin, where we bought it, for all service until about a year ago. They jacked the the oil chenge from the previous high of $35.00 up to $59.00. I had it done that last time. I'll do things myself now such as brakes, belts, valve adjust. Not brake fluid exchange or tranny service, or hard part exchange.

Tonkin must have lost a bunch of biz because they now offer coupons for $34.95 express lubes again. I'll let them do it for that.
moog is good to go.

as for parts stores, i like carquest(advance auto parts) the best.

for common parts, the internet can be the cheapest option

back when i was driving my pickup a lot, it would go thru wheel hubs every year or so...a ford hub is $350 and i replaced them 3 or 4 times. an ebay detroit axle hub is $50. fed up, i took the chance, its been on there for 6 years now. no rhyme or reason to it...maybe i got lucky.

Gotta love that OWM Honda mark up.
200% was the norm back in my day of wrenching.
The pull tags use to have the real price on them.
And taking the car to a dealer for service, BEND OVER.

I've always jacked the front end up and used a quality (taller than average) set of stands to get the vehicle to a comfortable 2ft working height. My jack stands are made from parts of early rearends. I'm not sure the axles (3-piece) they were built from, but they bolted to the pumpkin (ring/pinion) case.
Are you saying the jack stands I got from harbor freight are not good to use?

moog is good to go.

as for parts stores, i like carquest(advance auto parts) the best.

for common parts, the internet can be the cheapest option

back when i was driving my pickup a lot, it would go thru wheel hubs every year or so...a ford hub is $350 and i replaced them 3 or 4 times. an ebay detroit axle hub is $50. fed up, i took the chance, its been on there for 6 years now. no rhyme or reason to it...maybe i got lucky.

Moog was also near most expensive. I'm one to consider whether more money actually means means better quality or not. That Honda belt that's on the car now, 104,000 miles. I tend to feel that that OEM belt is going to be better than the Gates belt for $18.00. I'm not sure about suspension parts though? Too much of a difference (not counting Honda's crazy mark-ups) has me wondering.

Moog was also near most expensive. I'm one to consider whether more money actually means means better quality or not. That Honda belt that's on the car now, 104,000 miles. I tend to feel that that OEM belt is going to be better than the Gates belt for $18.00. I'm not sure about suspension parts though? Too much of a difference (not counting Honda's crazy mark-ups) has me wondering.
gates makes a lot of manufacturers belts. my factory mitsubishi timing belt said gates right on it lol.

if it was my car, id put a reputable mfg's parts under it for essential parts like steering, brakes, suspension.

Cut the middle man and go to the source.
Gates Belts.They're all I use.

Edit
My jack stands are made/built-up from Ford Banjo Rear-Ends.
1937 Ford pickup banjo rear enb.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show