JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So glad I'm not alone in my views of the whole social media thing.

Never was on FB, never will be on FB, (or equivalent) I don't carry a cell phone unless I'm on a long drive. I use road maps not GPS.
I don't need to have constant contact with the mothership (wife) to function. I know stuff without constantly needing to look it up. I've yet to ask Siri a darn thing (my wife might get jealous). I talk at dinner tables, on the telephone, to bank tellers, strangers in the supermarket checkout, like making/fixing things with my hands, video games leave me cold and still prefer the smell/touch/reading of actual books.....

....but, then I'm an old phart, we're demographically invisible, so I can be like that. ;)

You pegged me. Except for the reading thing. I only read some gun rags and here.

I ditched FB, Instagram, Twitter and snapchat a couple years ago and I couldn't be happier! Im only 23 so not even a wise old timer but i noticed its just a bunch of time wasting BS ran by the liberal media and does absolutely no good for a person. I wish my wife would ditch it as well but maybe with time as she gets annoyed with it frequently. Its sad but its like an addiction that is hard to let go but when you do you feel so much more free! I could care less what everybody else is doing and i dont care for everybody to know what im doing either, its pointless! Its scary to think of what this world is going to be like when my son (he's due in a few months!) is grown up.

Its sad but its like an addiction that is hard to let go but when you do you feel so much more free!

I'm addicted to this place. I don't think it's sad. I get a good idea what's going on without having to watch the news. The membership here are 99.9% respectable people IMO. The place is full of info and wisdom, on most any topic, that I think Farcbook has very little of.

Mine was about 90% political and it was creating stress that I couldn't wish away. It is futile trying to have a civil discussion about anything with a liberal.

I'm addicted to this place. I don't think it's sad. I get a good idea what's going on without having to watch the news. The membership here are 99.9% respectable people IMO. The place is full of info and wisdom, on most any topic, that I think Farcbook has very little of.
Yes sir i was referring to other types of social media such as Facebook, this sight is full of the better people in this country, the kind that you can relate to and have a normal conversation with. Im as far Right as it goes!

I can't imagine how hard it must be for our youth today, with all this extra stuff they deal with on the social media. At least when we were kids, you could manage to escape a bully to live another day. These kids are being bombarded constantly and kids can be dicks

I check my facebook maybe twice a year. I have never "Liked" anything and haven't posted in several years. I rarely find an opinion worth responding to and most aren't even worth reading.

I do have a "Dummy" facebook account for those "Like us on facebook and get 20% off" offers... but it isn't linked to anyone else and doesn't even have my real name in it.

It is kind of nice to know who I went to highschool with has died.

I can't imagine how hard it must be for our youth today, with all this extra stuff they deal with on the social media. At least when we were kids, you could manage to escape a bully to live another day. These kids are being bombarded constantly and kids can be dicks

My daughter is 13 and discussing social media with her is a good chance to impart some wisdom on how to interact with the world. There is no avoiding it so you might as well help your children develope strategies to deal with it.

My daughter had a friend that asked my daughter to login to her snapchat account to see what their other friends were saying. When she told me about this I told her that it sounded like it was a really good way to create a whole lot of drama. She thought about it for a moment and agreed (My daughter is pretty drama adverse... for a teen). Then I told my daughter that I forbid her to sign in on someone else's account to monitor other peoples conversations. It was the first time I flat out forbade her to do anything which raised her eyebrow but I said it in such a matter-of-fact way that she understood that I was just giving her an excuse to tell her friend when her friend tried to pressure my daughter to sign on to her account. A knuckle bump confirmed our mutual understanding and we haven't discussed it since.

For youths today there is no escaping the effects of social media even if you choose not to participate in it. So I believe we should arm our children with the skills to effectively deal with it.

it's easy, tend her the days when the "Kill your TV" slogan was going around? Now I'm always telling people to "Kill your stupid phone.";) It's an addition that afflicts too many nowadays .

Any Facebook entries I have been shown on (another person's, not mine) computer has only served to remind me that there is a reason that most folks aren't worth putting pen to paper, keyboard to e-mail, or picking up a phone to talk or text with. There's a reason we don't/won't keep in regular or constant touch with most family or acquaintances...
...If they were actually worth the effort, we'd make the effort! :rolleyes:

I have an account but only use it to keep in contact with my family members I want to stay in contact with. Most are in another time zone and by the time I get into the house it is late at their place so I can just leave a message, it is also nice to see pic's of my grandchildren on a regular basis. Other than that it is worthless.

A friend of mine has three beautiful daughters. I've pretty much watched the first two grow up, and the third was born to them after I met the folks. I'm talking incredibly beautiful young ladies. All do great in school. They've had them in the local religious schools. When the time came for their oldest to go into high school they needed to send her clear into another county because all the girls that were bullying her would be going to the close school. :mad:

Bullying isn't the same as it was when I was that age. I was bullied a bit in elementary school, mostly when two or three of the neighborhood "Tough(er) Guys" got together, bored and needed something to do. I never got beat up, punched in the arm maybe "FLINCH" punch, just kinda made fun of, or chased. None in junior or high school. I WAS NOT anywhere close to "Cool", kinda dorky even.

Current bullying seems to be for sport? Pick a person at random. There has always been bully's. But it used to be you had a reason to bully someone...They looked funny, their mama dressed them funny, bad breath, smelled, speech issues birth marks. Those are traits I remember guys getting bullied for. Their just know-nothing kids for hell sakes! Learning to be men. I don't think I was ever in on it as I wasn't one of the cool guys, sure wasn't into picking on people, lest I bring myself up for some crap too. I had my best friend bullied buy a kid in junior high. Erv was skinny, but well liked. The kid was bigger, shoulders, taller. In gym class, Erv had enough one day and punched him in the face! Coaches saw it, never said a word. Erv didn't get picked on again.

Kids need to learn to ignore the pukes that pick on them. Kids need to have their phones taken away from them while in school. And learn to face people when they talk to them. And society needs to look to the underlying things that cause people to go nutso and kill, others or them selves, instead of trying to take away everything that might possibly be dangerous.
Do any of use ever think about where these "Bullying" kids come from? It's people MY age, a lot of us here my age, no? We raised kids who now have their kids, that are the age of the bullies.

Hoo...Sorry for that long arsed rant. I need to see sense in things. And when I don't it twists my brain. Any way, yeah, facebook sucks!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top