JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I never introduced myself. My name is Joel, I am relatively new to shooting, but have enjoyed every minute of it. I have found this site very resourceful while looking at some of my reloading troubles, and I even purchased a pistol from another member. I look forward to continuing to lurk and ask all of you more knowledgable folks more questions. I do have a couple of questions, maybe you guys can point me the right way. I would really like to learn more about the mechanics of firearms themselves, and practical shooting. Are there any shops that would take volunteer help? Maybe a few hours a week? Or do any shops ever need part time help of any kind? I just would really like to have more exposure, but I can't really afford a "build your own... at our shop, and take it home", or "come stay with us and shoot a 1000 rounds" kind of thing. If you know anyone who would like to brush a newbie up on any aspect of the industry in a professional setting I would appreciate at least talking to them about it. Thanks for all the help!

Uh Oh, another lurker, I have to check the bushes outside in the morning, stranger danger!

Seriously, working on guns takes a certain amount of mechanical aptitude. If you don't have it, don't bother. If you do, start cruising for books on the subject. I picked up much of my knowledge from working at a gunsmith shop, starting as a service writer, moving up to manager after a few years. Not many shops like that up here.

I am starting out with that stuff right now, reading, and minor work. I have restored (very minor) a Japanese Type 38. My CZ broke the last time I went the range (fixed, relatively easy). I work in a mechanical industry, I stare at parts explosions all day long, everyday. And I don't make a habit in being in other peoples bushes...lol. I am looking to go beyond hobby level, but I can't quit my day job either. I just appreciate the wealth of knowledge here.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews