JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I feel the same way about Unique... it like working with cornflakes.
Im down to my last half pound and it's all tightgroup for my pistols from now on.
Love those ball powders:D
CFE BLK
H335
Tightgroup
Are my go to's... all easy to work with and I can reload for most all my guns with those 3.

My vote for worst powder to Meter also goes to Unique... I made the mistake of putting it in my Chargemaster and it was harder to get rid of than in-laws at Christmas. It is just is nasty stuff IMHO.

Yes stick powder with very long kernels. I wish they would make a short cut version:D.
That would be great. They basically did that with RL15 and called it AR comp. Also H4831. I think varget is excellent powder and works like a champ in the 308. It just doesnt meter accurately, which isnt a big deal if you weigh and trickle every charge. If they made a short cut version of varget, im sure it would sell like hot cakes.

My vote for worst powder to Meter also goes to Unique... I made the mistake of putting it in my Chargemaster and it was harder to get rid of than in-laws at Christmas. It is just is nasty stuff IMHO.
I know a guy that loves unique. After trying it and seeing i didnt like it, i gave it to him. Far too dirty for my taste.

Varget is one of the worst metering powders I have ever tried. I use a RCBS charge master.
It does shoot very well. For heavy weight bullets 77 and 80 grain bullets it works well. I have
used Varget for many years for my 600 yard 223 80 SMK. Now I get best results from VV N140
for 80s and IMR 8208 XBR for 77smk. 8208 meters nice and I can use a powder thrower.
Sounds like you haven't tried IMR-4064, it is even worse than Varget for metering through my Uniflow powder measure. But, in my experience has been more accurate than Varget in cases larger than .223. My favorite powder for .223 across all bullet weights is still Ramshot TAC. In my experience, it has provided excellent performance with bullets from 40 gr up through 77 gr.
I do like IMR-8208XBR, as it has proven very accurate with bullets over 60 gr in weight and is the best metering extruded powder I have measured. It also has proven excellent in .338 Federal. I have just started experimenting with 8208XBR in .308 Win., and if it can match IMR-4064 accuracy and velocity with 175 gr and under bullets, it might become that mythical one powder to load the majority of my shooting needs. I have a feeling that while it might be close with lighter .308 bullets, the 4064 will still prevail with 168 gr and heavier. But it is slow to load, trickling each charge on a scale.

Hmmm, have you ever tried to meter 800-X? If you had, you would be praising the comparatively consistent charges Unique offers.:D

Sounds like you haven't tried IMR-4064, it is even worse than Varget for metering through my Uniflow powder measure. But, in my experience has been more accurate than Varget in cases larger than .223. My favorite powder for .223 across all bullet weights is still Ramshot TAC. In my experience, it has provided excellent performance with bullets from 40 gr up through 77 gr.
I do like IMR-8208XBR, as it has proven very accurate with bullets over 60 gr in weight and is the best metering extruded powder I have measured. It also has proven excellent in .338 Federal. I have just started experimenting with 8208XBR in .308 Win., and if it can match IMR-4064 accuracy and velocity with 175 gr and under bullets, it might become that mythical one powder to load the majority of my shooting needs. I have a feeling that while it might be close with lighter .308 bullets, the 4064 will still prevail with 168 gr and heavier. But it is slow to load, trickling each charge on a scale.
I went through 2 eight pound kegs of IMR-4064 last year. It is the most accurate powder I have tried
for my 308 and 30/06 reloads. This is a powder I weigh each charge on my RCBS charge master.
While IMR-8208 XBR I can use the powder thrower.:D

2ndtimer, have you tried AR comp? It meters very well through my Uniflo. I would have liked to try TAC or IMR8208, but none of the stores around here had any.

You clearly haven't tried 700X! Talk about "cornflakes".

I know a guy that loves unique. After trying it and seeing i didnt like it, i gave it to him. Far too dirty for my taste.

There's a progression when a person starts hand loading I think. When I started in 2011 I looked at the books, and looked on the BiMart shelf. I grabbed powders that I could use in the most handgun calibers. :) I believe people like Unique because it truly is unique. Checking my book I see it can be used in .25ACP up to .44 mag and .45-70, even some other rifle rounds. Shotgun too. At this point I use two powders for the handgun calibers I load. W231 for .38 and .45acp, and HS-6 for the higher pressure rounds, 9mm and .40 S&W. Those two measure about as good as can be I think. Haven't got to long gun yet. I still have too many factory rounds to empty for brass to load. ;)

You clearly haven't tried 700X! Talk about "cornflakes"
I just don't understand how a powder can meter so poorly and yet if hand trickled perform so well. With my cast and PC 125gr rnfp 700X is minute of bugs arse at 25 yds from all 4 of my revolvers. Very clean and very pleasant. When I want to diagnose my stance/trigger pull/flinch/blink that's what I use because if I miss I know it's me for sure. Same thing with Varget in my 22-250. It makes my cheapi Savage (without an accutrigger mind you:p) shoot .5" and often better at 100 yds. Really irritating. Loadings I have a real love/hate relationship with.

I just don't understand how a powder can meter so poorly and yet if hand trickled perform so well. With my cast and PC 125gr rnfp 700X is minute of bugs arse at 25 yds from all 4 of my revolvers. Very clean and very pleasant. When I want to diagnose my stance/trigger pull/flinch/blink that's what I use because if I miss I know it's me for sure. Same thing with Varget in my 22-250. It makes my cheapi Savage (without an accutrigger mind you:p) shoot .5" and often better at 100 yds. Really irritating. Loadings I have a real love/hate relationship with.

"When" I finally get to loading long gun I'll look forward to trickling every round! The little bit of shooting the old rifles I'll be loading for tends to go pretty slow. And being as I load single stage already, taking my time to load rifle will be a pleasure. I thoroughly enjoy the Zen qualities of hand loading.

You clearly haven't tried 700X! Talk about "cornflakes".

There's a progression when a person starts hand loading I think. When I started in 2011 I looked at the books, and looked on the BiMart shelf. I grabbed powders that I could use in the most handgun calibers. :) I believe people like Unique because it truly is unique. Checking my book I see it can be used in .25ACP up to .44 mag and .45-70, even some other rifle rounds. Shotgun too. At this point I use two powders for the handgun calibers I load. W231 for .38 and .45acp, and HS-6 for the higher pressure rounds, 9mm and .40 S&W. Those two measure about as good as can be I think. Haven't got to long gun yet. I still have too many factory rounds to empty for brass to load. ;)

Yes, it was so unique I got rid of it. I used to shoot trap competitively, so I had a bunch of universal and that's what I decided to use. It is highly versatile and very clean burning. I learned I like clean burning powder when I was shooting trap. Going through 500+ rounds in a weekend and not having to clean your shotgun until you are done is a big plus. With some other powders like 700x, I found I'd get powder residue in the trigger group, which required me to pull it out and clean it after a 100 rounds or so. Not good when you are competing for money. The same goes for my pistol loads for the 40S&W and 45 ACP when I'm shooting bowling pins. I also get excellent accuracy from universal powder. For me it is a win win... If you haven't tried it, maybe you should consider it..

"When" I finally get to loading long gun I'll look forward to trickling every round! The little bit of shooting the old rifles I'll be loading for tends to go pretty slow. And being as I load single stage already, taking my time to load rifle will be a pleasure. I thoroughly enjoy the Zen qualities of hand loading.

I load bottleneck cases with stick powder. (RL22) I throw a light charge and then trickle the last bit because it's near impossible to get a consistent charge. It burns up a lot of time compared to cranking out 45 ACP on the Dillon, but I enjoy it most of the time. I do this for a bolt action hunting rifle that I don't shoot that much either.

Mike, that is a great attitude to have. I too use a single stage press, but have been handloading rifle ammo since '96. I like weighing slightly light and then trickling in the rest. For my 223 rem though, it's dump from the Uniflo. I also do this with my 308win ammo as well. When you find a good powder that meters accurately and consistently, it's safe and quick. For beginners, I don't suggest it though, until you thoroughly know your equipment and the powders you use like the back of your hand. Just for chits and giggles, here's a load I dropped from my uniflo, for my AR15:
3IJDBrp.jpg

That same exact load also works in my new Savage bolt action rifle. Verified that yesterday:
QxUlqug.jpg

Yes, it was so unique I got rid of it. I used to shoot trap competitively, so I had a bunch of universal and that's what I decided to use. It is highly versatile and very clean burning. I learned I like clean burning powder when I was shooting trap. Going through 500+ rounds in a weekend and not having to clean your shotgun until you are done is a big plus. With some other powders like 700x, I found I'd get powder residue in the trigger group, which required me to pull it out and clean it after a 100 rounds or so. Not good when you are competing for money. The same goes for my pistol loads for the 40S&W and 45 ACP when I'm shooting bowling pins. I also get excellent accuracy from universal powder. For me it is a win win... If you haven't tried it, maybe you should consider it..

I probably loaded 50 or less, and sold that 700X for like $10.00. Found a guy that loved it, for something?

I'll most likely never leave HS6 for my 9mm and .40. When I first started loading, a member at the range suggested HS6 for our full size 9s and .40s. It runs kinda dirty in other lower pressure rounds but cleans up real good in higher pressure rounds. Fills the case and measures well. If SHTF , like 2012, then I'll get what ever will push a bullet out the barrel though! :D That's why I still have some Bullseye and Unique to use.

Mike, that is a great attitude to have. I too use a single stage press, but have been handloading rifle ammo since '96. I like weighing slightly light and then trickling in the rest. For my 223 rem though, it's dump from the Uniflo. I also do this with my 308win ammo as well. When you find a good powder that meters accurately and consistently, it's safe and quick. For beginners, I don't suggest it though, until you thoroughly know your equipment and the powders you use like the back of your hand. Just for chits and giggles, here's a load I dropped from my uniflo, for my AR15:
View attachment 530793

That same exact load also works in my new Savage bolt action rifle. Verified that yesterday:
View attachment 530794

That top target? Was that a competition? How in the H do people measure those groups? With a micrometer? Or do you just win them all? :D Too many ??? I know. If you load Swede Mauser I'd like to see your loads. Lilhigbee sold me on getting one, and I picked up bottle of what they use, but other options are also wanted.

I drop AR comp from my uniflo for my 308w loads. I'm also using a 168gr. bullet. Here are the results from when I was working up some loads:

JSMq292.jpg
657YKIs.jpg
DcHjEYx.jpg

I like seeing the progression, when working up a load....

That top target? Was that a competition? How in the H do people measure those groups? With a micrometer? Or do you just win them all? :D Too many ??? I know. If you load Swede Mauser I'd like to see your loads. Lilhigbee sold me on getting one, and I picked up bottle of what they use, but other options are also wanted.

I shoot with lilhigbee. He's a great guy. His significant other shoots a real nice swede. I handload for the swede too, but don't know exactly how accurate it is. My left eye is bad and I have to shoot my rifle right handed for iron sights:
NoNGiRN.jpg
eDTzIOm.jpg

These are just some loads I threw together. Haven't even worked up a load for the old girl yet... I did get 4 boxes of 129gr. hornady interlocks from lilhigbee that I need to load up. The rifle seems accurate enough though, they are easy to load for. The nice thing about the 6.5x55...

Many rifle competitors(200,300 and600yrds), use Vit. N140. Very expensive.

Varget is still popular and guys actually do use the powder measure on their Dillon 550.

I personally weight and trickle each load(Varget) because I enjoy making ammo and it is only 80 rounds for a match(plus a few sighters and dont say it.... an alibi string).

Varget really is a great powder

Dave, keep us posted on the progress. Im curious to see how your 1 in 9 twist savage shoots the heavies. I have some 73gr eldm bullets, that i want to try in mine.
Just try some. My savage .223 shoots lights out with 77gr Nosler and SMKs. I'm pushing them a little over 2,700 FPS.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews