JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Me and ig at the movies recently. It's a 3D movie, and ig is the guy without the hat on.

upload_2019-7-8_22-27-13.png

Thanks for the offer. I'm building a lightweight AR with Spike's Tactical stripped upper and lower. So far I've also got the enhanced lower parts kit and an 18" barrel coming. Still slowly gathering everything else. Any ideas on how to shed weight? Should I be posting this elsewhere?

Thanks for the offer. I'm building a lightweight AR with Spike's Tactical stripped upper and lower. So far I've also got the enhanced lower parts kit and an 18" barrel coming. Still slowly gathering everything else. Any ideas on how to shed weight? Should I be posting this elsewhere?
Been reading up over at M4C? Despite the cost, for our wet climate I'm considering upgrading all of mine to Neverwear Inconel springs. There's also a spreadsheet somewhere on the Net with parts weights, but I don't remember where and it hasn't been updated in years--PM me your email, and if I can find the copy I was annotating for my briefcase-carry build in twenty-five terabytes of data I'll pass it along. :)

Last Edited:

Semi-Automatic Rifles

And the best way to shed weight is the barrel. An 18" isn't going to be light. A 16" pencil barrel would be a start.

Yeah, get this barrel instead...
16" CL - LW - ML - LPGB - SIONICS Weapon Systems
then get a reasonable weight handguard and stock. I'd suggest something like a BCM MLOK or Centurion CMR. Just don't buy into LW BCG's unless you are building strictly a gaming gun intended to shoot low powered, wimpy rounds, otherwise get a real BCG. You just missed PA's sale on SOLGW BCG for $115, but keep an eye open if you're not in a big hurry, they have been putting them on sale quite a bit. Note the specs, I would not buy a BCG without a similar spelled spec list.
Sons of Liberty Gun Works M16 Bolt Carrier Group - .223/5.56 - Phosphate SOLGW-BCG

The barrel is the single most important part of an AR, the BCG is #2, don't skimp either place. And don't do Nickel Boron BCG, if you want an easy clean finish get a SIONICS Np3 BCG (same place as the barrel I linked above), otherwise stick with GI phosphate as specs above.

I also highly recommend the A5 buffer systems, the combination of an A5 with a properly ported mid-length gas system is an unbelievably smooth shooter.
VLTOR A5 Buffer System Overview

Or a 14.5 with a pin-and-weld, though at pencil you might want a free-float to avoid barrel whip and those can at up most of the savings. If money is no object take a look at V Seven's titanium parts catalog.

I would recommend avoiding a 14.5" barrel due to requirement to "permanently" attached muzzle device. Do not use a titanium gas block, thermal expansion of the different materials can cause issues. There is no way to avoid barrel whip short of not pulling the trigger, choose a barrel, LPGB and handguard I.D. appropriately, not all are compatible. If you choose a BCM rail, V7 does offer a Ti barrel nut for it, the rest of the V7 Ti parts cost a lot for very little weight savings.

Last Edited:

Welcome! Personally I like the titanium parts from VSeven. I have tried another, but prefer VSeven. For the rifle grip screw I get the titanium from Mettec, they are at least a couple dollars cheaper than elsewhere. If you build with an Anderson lower you will want the 1/4x28x3/4 socket head screw whereas most of the other lowers accept the standard 1/4x28x1. Link below. With the 18" barrel, you will want to explore titanium muzzle devices - so much lighter. Green Mountain Rifle Barrel (be careful with some of these, for some do not have M4 feedramps and you will need a receiver without the M4 grooves) and Ballistic Advantage offer pencil profile barrels that are lighter as well - gas block journal is usually .625 on these barrels. Go to Sporting Systems to do your build - they have the tools. Make sure your springs are in correctly, especially the the trigger and hammer springs. Plenty of oil on the roll pins, no need to chamfer as shown in many online videos. Take your first build slowly and have fun.

Titanium 1/4" Socket (Allen) Head Bolt- Fine

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads