JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The wife uses the Spanish rice flavor in stuffed peppers. I remember when contestants on game shows would receive a years supply of Rice A Roni as a consolation prize.

Salt... as in table salt yes. That bleached white refined crap that's been stripped of everything good for you.

Natural salt (not refined sea salt) is great unless you are sodium sensitive. We swapped to only pink salt, Caribbean Sea salt and for giggles have some salt mined from the evaporated ocean method from Slovenia. Truly is an amazing difference in flavor as salt and to foods.

Salt... as in table salt yes. That bleached white refined crap that's been stripped of everything good for you.

Natural salt (not refined sea salt) is great unless you are sodium sensitive. We swapped to only pink salt, Caribbean Sea salt and for giggles have some salt mined from the evaporated ocean method from Slovenia. Truly is an amazing difference in flavor as salt and to foods.
We've also gone to just natural pink salt, different taste and we presume much healthier. That white refined salt is now banished from our home...

Up until the advent of refrigeration most people probably consumed more salt than we could imagine today. Salt was was used to preserve almost all foods along with smoking. All the meat was salted along with butter and cheese and lot of vegetables were preserved in salt brine. Mankind did not die off but prospered using salt. I will have to agree about natural salt. Crabs cooked in fresh seawater have a totally different taste than cooked otherwise especially on the spot.

Up until the advent of refrigeration most people probably consumed more salt than we could imagine today. Salt was was used to preserve almost all foods along with smoking. All the meat was salted along with butter and cheese and lot of vegetables were preserved in salt brine. Mankind did not die off but prospered using salt. I will have to agree about natural salt. Crabs cooked in fresh seawater have a totally different taste than cooked otherwise especially on the spot.
And people were also not sedentary like today.. :-(

Crabs cooked in sea water- yes please.

Red Hawaiian Sea Salt is good too - has kind of an earthy flavor to it - not too 'salty'. I use it when I make pulled pork in the slow cooker, really tastes better than table salt or even regular sea salt.

The last report I read on sodium consumption indicated that you don't have to worry as much about how much sodium you take in, if you drink plenty of water throughout the day. Unfortunately, many folks don't drink nearly enough water. Me, I drink it all day long.

One recipe I learned was to take a pound of ground beef and mix in the rice and seasoning into the ground beef. Then make some medium to large meatballs out of that mix. Place them in a skillet, brown them on the sides, then add the amount of water called for on the box to the pan, cover and saute for about 25-30 minutes. The rice cooks inside the meat and makes for a nice change to the usual. Otherwise, tossing a pound of cooked ground beef or some sliced Polska kielbasa into a pan of Rice a Roni is a nice, easy, comfort food type meal - all re-heat well for seconds and thirds too.

Red Hawaiian Sea Salt is good too - has kind of an earthy flavor to it - not too 'salty'. I use it when I make pulled pork in the slow cooker, really tastes better than table salt or even regular sea salt.

On a hunting forum I am on often. One of the guys on there lives up in the San Juan Islands and makes his own sea salt straight from Puget Sound. When it comes to salt, that is my favorite and I have a jar I use sparingly.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top