JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Born in Stockton (Yes, THAT Stockton) in 1947. As teenagers we used to stand on the tailgate of my buddy's '56 Chevy station wagon while chasing jack rabbits through cow pastures, and shooting at them. We used to make our own black powder for testing bomb designs. We jumped off railroad bridges while swimming in the Calaveras River. We chased bears at night on horseback with hounds down the Stanislaus Canyon. That movie, American Graffiti was about us. There were "start" and "finish" lines painted on Brookside Road a mile from the high school, and we drag raced there every Saturday night. Were we stupid to do some of these things? Darned right we were, but we learned better, and nobody died in the process. And if we had it would have been our own faults and we'd have blamed nobody but ourselves. If we tried any of that today in CA we'd be felons.

In the 1950's and 60's Stockton was about as wide open as it was during the gold rush in 1850. Downtown had a waterfront, a Chinatown, flop houses, cat houses, and opium parlors. It was pretty much anything goes, as long as you kept it South of Main Street. Mariani's Tailor Shop had about 1500 customers a day, and they weren't getting alterations done, they were buying drugs. When in high school we often had to roll drunks out of the way in order to play snooker in Zeigler's Pool Hall. At 17 I was drinking beer in Joey's Place outside of Tracy, CA every Saturday night. D A M N !!!! It was fun!:cool:

Born in Stockton (Yes, THAT Stockton) in 1947. As teenagers we used to stand on the tailgate of my buddy's '56 Chevy station wagon while chasing jack rabbits through cow pastures, and shooting at them. We used to make our own black powder for testing bomb designs. We jumped off railroad bridges while swimming in the Calaveras River. We chased bears at night on horseback with hounds down the Stanislaus Canyon. That movie, American Graffiti was about us. There were "start" and "finish" lines painted on Brookside Road a mile from the high school, and we drag raced there every Saturday night. Were we stupid to do some of these things? Darned right we were, but we learned better, and nobody died in the process. And if we had it would have been our own faults and we'd have blamed nobody but ourselves. If we tried any of that today in CA we'd be felons.

In the 1950's and 60's Stockton was about as wide open as it was during the gold rush in 1850. Downtown had a waterfront, a Chinatown, flop houses, cat houses, and opium parlors. It was pretty much anything goes, as long as you kept it South of Main Street. Mariani's Tailor Shop had about 1500 customers a day, and they weren't getting alterations done, they were buying drugs. When in high school we often had to roll drunks out of the way in order to play snooker in Zeigler's Pool Hall. At 17 I was drinking beer in Joey's Place outside of Tracy, CA every Saturday night. D A M N !!!! It was fun!:cool:

The 1960s/70s were not too far off.. last of an era

I can remember... When Northern California (.... And you better be thinking North of Yuba City....) was Full of John Birch Society "Get US out of the UN" Billboards. I recall swimming in the Feather River (North Fork) and seeing a real honest to goodness Gold Miner, leading his Donkey out... Packing a 45 Peace Maker on his hip...

I can remember, with sadness, my first Motorcycle ride Down the Richardson Springs Rod.... And seeing SMOG coming up the valley, from the South....

Circa 1973 .... Watching hundreds of acres of Almond Trees cut down, to build 3, 300 unit Apartment Complexes, causes Chico State College was going to join the University of California... It was 1974, when my family of three moved North to Washington... And had it been different, I think we would still be in Ferry County, Washington, on our Twenty Acres.

I know that what took my Wife's life, was more important to be with her family, for we returned to be with her Mom & Dad her last 8 months of living... But When I had the chance to return North, I grabbed it, and did Not think twice....

I must make a trip this year, to see my sister, and other family... I already know, it will be my last trip into the State South of Our BORDER.

philip,
proud to be a ~Naturalized~ Citizen of Oregon!!!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top