Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I bought a new (USED) PC that is password protected, Now what???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jluck, Jan 17, 2015.

1. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Just like title says. I bought a PC that last owner had locked. I have emailed previous owner with no reply thus far. I know computer guys say they can get past a password in "seconds". HOW should I handle this?

FWIW, This is a older cheap Dell tower that will be for web surfing only and I don't want to pay professional help as I already have enough in to it.

Thank ya.

2. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Where is the password?
    BIOS - at startup
    or Windows?

3. jluck

Personal profile password. windows. I hope this answers your question as I'm obviously a computer retard.

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  4. Monica Cowles

Monica Cowles Grays Harbor, Washington Member, NRA (Life) USCCA, ACLDN, SAF (Life) Staff Member Silver Supporter

5. Skier

Skier Beaverton/Washington County Active Member

The easiest option would be to factory reset it, if that's an option and you dont care about any of the current data on the system. If you do this, it will be reset back to the same state it was when someone first bought it, so it will boot up, ask you to set a name and password, etc. To do this, google:
    factory reset dell <model>

This typically involves hitting something like F11 during the BIOS POST when you first turn it on.

If that is not an option (e.g. because its a reallllly old Dell made before they had options like that or because you don't want to lose data on the system) then there's another option we can try that involves inserting a new admin account or resetting the admin password, but that's slightly more involved and more than I want to type while using my tablet. So, PM me for details if you need to go this other route.

-Skier

ZA_Survivalist and Monica Cowles like this.
  6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Install a new operating system and call it a day: otherwise a reset like stated above or there are programs you can download that will crack a windows password for you.

7. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

This is good to know as I am computer knowledge lacking :confused: and have one that I just picked up and do not know the password either.... now I can try some of this and see what happens :D

Caveman Jim likes this.
  8. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

How hot is the computer? Why would someone buy a used computer not knowing if it worked?:eek:

9. spectra

Mine was my sons old computer and I donated it to his older brother then it came home:D now it is on the reloading bench in the garage so I can keep data on it.

10. jluck

Thanks for the help.:rolleyes: I do have some faith in mankind after talking with the lady. It is just by chance locked in a account with her name and corresponding picture.

Thanks to the others who offered assistance, I will try these options. I would rather go back to factory settings as I really don't care to see what's on it.

11. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Just reinstall OS. Problem solved.

12. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

If you need an OS disk let me know, I can duplicate anything just about from Win98 to Win7.

You need key though which on a Dell should be on the side of the computer with a tag.

13. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Do a full reformat of the HD and load a fresh copy of Win7.
    I would never put my info on a used PC that has not been wiped clean......who knows what nasty spyware may be on that PC.

solv3nt, ZigZagZeke and Dyjital like this.
  14. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Better yet, install Linux. It will run faster and less risk of threats.

CryWolf, ZigZagZeke and Redcap like this.
  15. spectra

Mine had windows 8 on it and I was able to reset everything back to factory specs. It took about 6 hours for the computer to do it but mine is all good now. There were instructions when I first fired it up to do this so no major issue for me :oops:

Hopefully jluck yours is not to complicated.

16. jluck

17. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

We had several at work a few years back. They didn't totally suck, even with all the security software and encryption we had to run. It will do what you are looking for. Your other option would be a new hard drive and some installation media for the OS

18. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

I had a buddy fix one of my old ones with something he found, called Trinity Rescue. Might be able to download it off the net.

19. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Before you buy another PC, what is the Model number of the Dell tower you have?

20. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
    Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Back when I was an IT manager I used to have a Dell support number. They were good to work with even though I very seldom had to call them. All my home computers except the tablets are Dell. Love the full restore setup on them. Puts them back to new condition, of course the problem then is all the updates have to be redone.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    NRA Recruiter
    Defender of Freedom Award
    Washington Arms Collector Member
    Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"