JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just like title says. I bought a PC that last owner had locked. I have emailed previous owner with no reply thus far. I know computer guys say they can get past a password in "seconds". HOW should I handle this?

FWIW, This is a older cheap Dell tower that will be for web surfing only and I don't want to pay professional help as I already have enough in to it.

Thank ya.

The easiest option would be to factory reset it, if that's an option and you dont care about any of the current data on the system. If you do this, it will be reset back to the same state it was when someone first bought it, so it will boot up, ask you to set a name and password, etc. To do this, google:
factory reset dell <model>

This typically involves hitting something like F11 during the BIOS POST when you first turn it on.

If that is not an option (e.g. because its a reallllly old Dell made before they had options like that or because you don't want to lose data on the system) then there's another option we can try that involves inserting a new admin account or resetting the admin password, but that's slightly more involved and more than I want to type while using my tablet. So, PM me for details if you need to go this other route.

-Skier

Install a new operating system and call it a day: otherwise a reset like stated above or there are programs you can download that will crack a windows password for you.

This is good to know as I am computer knowledge lacking :confused: and have one that I just picked up and do not know the password either.... now I can try some of this and see what happens :D

How hot is the computer? Why would someone buy a used computer not knowing if it worked?:eek:

Thanks for the help.:rolleyes: I do have some faith in mankind after talking with the lady. It is just by chance locked in a account with her name and corresponding picture.

The easiest option would be to factory reset it, if that's an option and you dont care about any of the current data on the system. If you do this, it will be reset back to the same state it was when someone first bought it, so it will boot up, ask you to set a name and password, etc. To do this, google:
factory reset dell <model>

This typically involves hitting something like F11 during the BIOS POST when you first turn it on.

If that is not an option (e.g. because its a reallllly old Dell made before they had options like that or because you don't want to lose data on the system) then there's another option we can try that involves inserting a new admin account or resetting the admin password, but that's slightly more involved and more than I want to type while using my tablet. So, PM me for details if you need to go this other route.

-Skier

Thanks to the others who offered assistance, I will try these options. I would rather go back to factory settings as I really don't care to see what's on it.

If you need an OS disk let me know, I can duplicate anything just about from Win98 to Win7.

You need key though which on a Dell should be on the side of the computer with a tag.

Do a full reformat of the HD and load a fresh copy of Win7.
I would never put my info on a used PC that has not been wiped clean......who knows what nasty spyware may be on that PC.

Mine had windows 8 on it and I was able to reset everything back to factory specs. It took about 6 hours for the computer to do it but mine is all good now. There were instructions when I first fired it up to do this so no major issue for me :oops:

Hopefully jluck yours is not to complicated.

We had several at work a few years back. They didn't totally suck, even with all the security software and encryption we had to run. It will do what you are looking for. Your other option would be a new hard drive and some installation media for the OS

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Back when I was an IT manager I used to have a Dell support number. They were good to work with even though I very seldom had to call them. All my home computers except the tablets are Dell. Love the full restore setup on them. Puts them back to new condition, of course the problem then is all the updates have to be redone.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top