Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hypothetical Question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Nwcid, May 24, 2012.

1. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Say you had 50-70, 100-200 magazines, about 25,000 rounds of ammo and lots of misc firearms related stuff to sell how would you do it? What you get you the most $$$ in your pocket with the least hassle?

Would you do a Gunshow and rent a table or two?

Classifieds like this board where getting the items to the person is easy but price might be down due to less exposure?

Online auctions where the price might be higher but you will have to deal with shipping and FFL's?

Some other way?

2. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

I would think a gun show would be best.

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

It all depends on how quickly you want to unload your inventory. If you can take the long view, I would say do it via classifieds and online auction sites.
    M

4. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

If your goal is to maximize profit then I would go with the classified listings. If the goal is to simplify the sales process then I would sell as a lot or series of lots.

What about consignment at a local shop or range?

5. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

The best and high quality stuff: Online.
    The rest, and what will not sell in lots: Rent a table or two.

6. Nwcid

Good points about listing things differently. Not going to consign since it is a cost that I don't need/want to pay.

If I decide to sale it would not be a fire sale. I dont want to spend years selling it yet dont need it gone in a day. It is not just about maximizing profits it is about effort vs profit to find that happy medium.

7. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Keep it unless you really need the $$$. That stuff is better than a 401k.

EMP9596, iusmc2002, netsecsys and 3 others like this.
  8. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

What's the overhead on a gun show table? I would say classifieds if you've got time and space to store the stuff, the negatives being exposure as you've stated and shipping. If you need money quick, fire sale at a gun show.

9. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

The least hassle would be something like Dury's guns... I believe they will even come out to you if the amount of firearms warrent it.

Sell Your Guns - Dury's Gun Shop

10. Nwcid

I agree but they also require care. They need cleaned, oiled and maintained. One reason I am considering selling is I have just not had time to do that kind of stuff. Some parts of my life are turning in different directions.

11. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

Since least hassle is a requirement I also would opt for consignment of all pieces at my local gunsmith's shop. Helps keep him keeps in business and will be no hassle for me.

12. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Gun show

One location
    No running around
    Buyers everywhere,so again ,no running around
    No "no shows"
    No phone calls

There will always be stupid questions but if you sell that much stuff,you will be inundated by phone calls and emails with stupid questions.
    At a show,while someone is asking a stupid question,someone else is buying the product.
    I use the classifieds ,but almost always sell my stuff at the shows.

pdx lefty and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Nwcid

I was seriously thinking show just have no experience doing one.

Still not sure what to do. Still lots of thinking. Just making a plan of what if's.

14. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Brother just 'seal a meal' them and store them some place.Just because your new girl thinks it's crazy to have all the sht you have,doesn't mean you need to sell the stuff.

Directions change,then you get rid of that girl and start your old life again.
    just sayin'

Personally.............been there done that. I would never sell another gun,unless it was to fund another gun,again.
    Heck the shotgun I was selling will go to my son. The 357 sp101,will fund another gun.
    Just not worth the money,unless it is funding more toys

YMMV

15. Nwcid

Good news is it has nothing to do with a girl. I learned those lessons long ago and have not made that mistake again. ETA: that didn't sound quite right. Girl life is great but I don't change who I am for them.

This is something I have been thinking on and off about for over a year, not a knee jerk. I am very aware of the downsides that is why so much thought is going into it.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.