JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bring everything I can handle except the kitchen sink;).

You're in luck, now you can bring that along too...

847590.jpg

I've had my eye on one of those, though I think a different brand. How well do they work?

I have a similar one myself - just a different brand. They work well enough, certainly worth having on hand - they don't take up a lot of space and don't weigh much. Good if you have to clear some branches or want to cut some smaller firewood.

I don't have any links so you will have to use your imagination.
I can't venture far from the truck any more so my back packs lay fallow now.
Up to a few years ago, I wore a home made leather back pack just large enough for a few items and able to strap my jacket or sweater under the flap albeit hanging out both edges should I need to remove or to put them on. the flap large enough to sit on when the stump or ground was damp. Inside was:
A collapsible water bottle so sloshing water kept quiet. (with water of coarse:))
50 feet of 3/8" sisal rope folded to 8" and wrapped with 30 feet of parachute cord.
8' of maybe .015 or so piano wire
space blanket
pocket poncho
flint and magnesium fire stick
wind proof lighter
Gerber multitool (60 & 70's it was heavy needle nose pliers with side cutter)
1/2 roll of toilet paper flattened in a sandwich bag.
bag with a couple good size handfuls of leftover mini Halloween candy preferably with lots of peanuts.
small first aid kit. (half a dozen various size Band Aids and Mercurochrome now replaced with Neosporin )
water purification tabs (now a water stick)
two clean hankies (for nose or bandages)
Mini mag with spare batteries (now converted to LED bulb and man is it bright but no room for spare bulb like the grain of wheat bulb had)
hip flask of tequila. (usually brought back full)
if I was to be out all day and not coming back to camp till dark; two hard rolls dry, maybe mustard if I was feeling frisky, stuffed with cheese and salami wrapped in tinfoil. (always saved one roll in case I was late or couldn't make it back to camp)
layered in the bottom of the bag was a dozen sheets of paper towels folded inside a couple 30 gallon trash can liners. (bags good for liver, heart and tongue or cut open for a vapor barrier to lay on if having to spend the night out.
sometimes a small camera.
It all fit comfortable in my bag about 12" wide 8" deep maybe 15" tall and only about half full with room to spare.
My pockets held my compass, map, keys, pocket knife (at one time, cigars and lighter:cool:).
My hunting knife, side arm and spare bullets for it and rifle rode on my belt along with 40 inches if tough boot lace tied up in a little loop hanging from my belt.
If the bugs were active small bottle of citronella with a long sleeve shirt and bloused pants to keep the ticks, chiggers & skeeters out. Always a good felt fedora to keep the sun out of my eyes and rain out of the back of my neck.

Now though, it is a cooler full of munchies, a giant thermos of coffee in the truck and a solid comfortable stool.:eek:
My foraging range being about hundred fifty feet to a mile or less depending on terrain. :(

I can't venture far from the truck any more so my back packs lay fallow now.

Now though, it is a cooler full of munchies, a giant thermos of coffee in the truck and a solid comfortable stool.:eek:
My foraging range being about hundred fifty feet to a mile or less depending on terrain. :(

Yup, never forget the jungle money. Pretty much ditto on the rest.

Elk season for me nowadays is sitting in my camp chair in camp. Keep the fire going. Take care of one of the hunters pit bull. Drink coffee. Clean up the kitchen center. Rifle is nearby just in case.

On my belt I have a folding all-purpose knife, a steel, spare mags for the Glock 19 (for the yahoos that sometimes show up) in a shoulder holster, and one of these on my fanny pack belt:
41jfhGSnvXL._SX425_.jpg

You go hunting in a fedora? That's awesome!
I think hats are one thing folks forget. Sun rain and cold you may need a hat or two.
I take enough to stay over night. Don't take a blanket but I have that in the truck. Ifin it's that cold I'll head back early to make sure. That said I only have limited food,plenty of water,all my slaughter and butcher needs(bags& knives),first aid,life straw,a little pocket stove,compass,gloves
I carry it in a Alps brand fanny pack/ backpack my friends gave me as a going away present. It can be worn as a fanny pack but it's big enough to haul enough that I put the shoulder straps on.
Then it has a pack rolled up that you unroll and it looks like a back pack. Not sure of the model.
Here it is. Nice and light weight but big enough you can load it down. Shoulder straps make it hang nice.
ALPS OutdoorZ / Hunting Gear & Equipment
** I do carry a woodsman's pal ,para cord and a garrote...I mean a cable saw also

I think hats are one thing folks forget.

Agreed, I always have a ball cap on at the least for sun and glare.

Keep a jungle style full brim hat in my camping stuff - have worn it to a few group cleanups and it keeps the sun off the neck or rain from going down your back if you for some reason aren't wearing a rain coat.

I think hats are one thing folks forget. Sun rain and cold you may need a hat or two.
I take enough to stay over night. Don't take a blanket but I have that in the truck. Ifin it's that cold I'll head back early to make sure. That said I only have limited food,plenty of water,all my slaughter and butcher needs(bags& knives),first aid,life straw,a little pocket stove,compass,gloves
I carry it in a Alps brand fanny pack/ backpack my friends gave me as a going away present. It can be worn as a fanny pack but it's big enough to haul enough that I put the shoulder straps on.
Then it has a pack rolled up that you unroll and it looks like a back pack. Not sure of the model.
Here it is. Nice and light weight but big enough you can load it down. Shoulder straps make it hang nice.
ALPS OutdoorZ / Hunting Gear & Equipment
** I do carry a woodsman's pal ,para cord and a garrote...I mean a cable saw also

Love my Alps products! Great quality! :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top