JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You go hunting in a fedora? That's awesome!

I have an orange ballcap that I take off and hide whenever the road warriors are passing by and might scope me. Otherwise I have one of these:

3G5R1PBbrn.jpg

Archery kit in August is a lot lighter than the rifle kit in Nov; dismounted: optics, weapon, after the shot (knives, stone, WY saw, bags, 550 cord, 1 lg zip lock) comms (ham radio & phone), 1st aid, survival kit, water, life straw, snacks, tags, gloves, 5x7 tarp, black trash bag, some wet wipes & what I'm wearing (some orange garments during rifle seasons). Fall and winter; add 1 pr socks, a cho-liner, 1 t shirt, rain gear (packed or worn). Jungle boots for archery, WP leather for fall & winter.

I tend to hunt private land, so the chances of being lost, injured, and needing to pop up a survival situation that requires a large kit to be unlikely. In most cases, we're driving into a location, hiking a mile or two and posting up/glassing for a while. Usually we're camping on the property, so never more than maybe 5mi from base camp, which in the absolute worst weather conditions, on the far side with the toughest terrain it's not much more than an hour walk back.

The basic stuff I carry on me for hunting are related to hunting:

2qt Water
Snacks
camera
rain gear
Gun & ammo
Binos/spotting scope and stand
Rope and Sked
Gutting kit (gloves, knives, bone saw, etc)
Glow sticks/Emergency Strobe (for marking locations)

Whenever possible, when I've gone on bigger hunts on public land, I usually set up a hunting camp, and then move out from there, usually we go in a group, so ~10 people or so, usually broken up into 2 groups. So one to guard camp while the rest are away.

I think the worst case I ever had, headed back to camp I got lost and got my truck stuck in the sand, had to hike about 2 mi over to another camp and was lucky enough to have them tow me out, I put the strobe on top of my car, it was the easiest way to find it.

I didn't see anyone with med kit I also have back with water snacks extra gloves and stuff like that but also CAT CHEST SEAL TAPE GUASE SOME OTHER MED STUFF BASICALLY ANYTHING FOR A GUN SHOT OR ACCIDENT CHOP YOUR FINGER OFF WITH YOUR SUPER SHARP GUTTING TOOLS LOL

Nothing much to add other than I will vary my kit , depending on what I'm hunting , where I'm hunting or time of year.
My kit for early season grouse is different than late season deer.
Also if I 'm just going out for a after school grouse hunt my kit is different.

One thing to bring is TP ... Your hunting partner can be upset if you cut the tail off of his shirt for your bum! :eek::p:D
Andy

Nothing much to add other than I will vary my kit , depending on what I'm hunting , where I'm hunting or time of year.

One thing to bring is TP ... Your hunting partner can be upset if you cut the tail off of his shirt for your bum! :eek::p:D
Andy
That's why the baby wipes

Has anyone actually used the lifestraw? I'm curious about them.

I have a backpack that's basically a fanny pack with straps and an upper compartment. The shoulder straps of a regular backpack kill my shoulders...
GPS, good topo map, snacks, bottle of water, emergency blanket, fire starters, couple of small LED flashlights, headlamp, batteries for all, and of course dry socks and TP.
The compass and spare ammo stay in my pants pocket. I feel that you should NEVER allow yourself to become unattached from your compass, that's why it's not in the backpack.

Andy
I went thru a safety vest two years ago. Kept forgetting my TP and after a coffee and a walk,well..:eek:

Funny, I was digging through my stuff the other day. I keep most of it ready in two airtight storage containers.

I always pack the same, whether I'm hiking in, hunting, or climbing. When I car camp with the kids, I bring more...
A friend criticizes me for always being so heavy. I have never gotten down below 35#.

30oz Insulated Water Bottle; hydration pack embedded in my backpack when I'm out more than 2 days
Fire: flint and magnesium fire stick; Matches in waterproof container; 2x BIC lighters; sap impregnated kindling (~8 ozs)
Cooking: Titanium cook set; 2 cans Butane; 2x wind proof lighter; Primus Butane stove (I use a white gas whisperlite for high altitude); purifying water pump/filter
Shelter: Ultralight 2 man tent; Thermarest; space blanket; 30° Bag summer / -14° bag winter or high altitude; 4 x 8 6mil poly sheeting for putting inside tent
Food: ~6 20g protein minimum energy bars; 4 raw eggs; ~1# block of Parmesan/Romano; dried beans; dried coffee; cup of rice; a pharmacy pill bottle containing 2-3 packets each of soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce; waterproof containers of salt & pepper
1st Aid: needle & thread; crazy glue; hydrocortisone cream; anti-bacterial ointment; motrin; shampoo for soap; 30-40 bandaids; gauze; electricians tape
Alcohol: sometimes 2-3 cans of beer; pint of Jm Beam or a single malt Whisky.
Equipment: Leatherman; Gerber folding saw; hatchet; 3' of .028 416 MIG wire; 50 feet of Harbor Freight rope; 2x 500# Carabiners; For hunting, will also bring (2) stainless double pulleys; sometimes a folding shovel; FRS radios
Other: Brunton; GPS; binoculars; cell phone
Light: 1 headlamp, 4 flashlights of varying purpose; ~8 spare batteries
Weaponry: Kersahw blade trader; Morakiv survival knife; EDC folder; junk folding knife; CZ75B 40S&W, either on hip or on pack straps in my front; 2 extra magazines;
Clothing: Appropriate boots; 1pr wicking thermals; 2 compression tops; 2 pr woolies; 1 wool sweater; wool cap; rain gear; suzbero down jacket fits in a compression sack, takes up the size of a beer can.
Additonal: for hunting I'll have my rifle & ~10 rounds of ammo, for climbing I will have crampons and an ice axe.

I have 3 different packs for hiking/hunting/climbing, all the above fits in any of the three.

Has anyone actually used the lifestraw? I'm curious about them.

I have a backpack that's basically a fanny pack with straps and an upper compartment. The shoulder straps of a regular backpack kill my shoulders...
GPS, good topo map, snacks, bottle of water, emergency blanket, fire starters, couple of small LED flashlights, headlamp, batteries for all, and of course dry socks and TP.
The compass and spare ammo stay in my pants pocket. I feel that you should NEVER allow yourself to become unattached from your compass, that's why it's not in the backpack.

I used one many years ago, it was like trying to drink a milkshake, doable, but a tough way to get much water. My personal preference is for a Sawyer Miniworx filter, you can force the water through using the bag, makes it much easier to drink. I set mine up so I can hook it right in to my hydration pack, so I fill up the miniworx bag, connect the filter to my hydration bladder, and squeeze the water in to refill my hydration carrier. I can't really think of a good reason for in-line filters. I would much rather keep my hydration carrier clean than have to decontaminate it when I get home.

I didn't see anyone with med kit I also have back with water snacks extra gloves and stuff like that but also CAT CHEST SEAL TAPE GUASE SOME OTHER MED STUFF BASICALLY ANYTHING FOR A GUN SHOT OR ACCIDENT CHOP YOUR FINGER OFF WITH YOUR SUPER SHARP GUTTING TOOLS LOL

Not going to argue about a trauma kit, it's part of my EDC (lives inside my bag) This is what I got:
https://store.itstactical.com/its-edc-trauma-kit.html

I still say don't hunt with idiots, another big one that may or may not be legal in your jurisdiction is radios. Every person in the hunting group is in comms, and there's usually a large radio back at base camp that keeps them on comms, Even if they're on a different net (so the radio isn't squawking away irritating everyone until they turn it off).
When you work out to a horizontal file, about 1-200m apart, it's pretty clear if you're getting ready to shoot at a partner, and if you somehow have an animal between you two, it gets pretty obvious quick, and you shouldn't shoot...

Also, I'm a huge fan of cut-resistant gloves. I wear them over my rubber gloves, they get pretty nasty, but a good boil in oxyclean gets them new again. I'm not really worried about cutting myself with my knife, but just remember, this is an animal you just shot, there are likely going to be sharp bullet fragments in there somewhere.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top