JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have hunted in eastern Oregon all my life. And after my divorce and everything last year I have ended up leaving Oregon to live in Vancouver.

How do you pick a location for hunting in Washington? How do you get a license? And I'd there anyone here in Vancouver or camas area that might have a party that could use another useful guy?

I am worried about it. I just need an area I can know is safe to hunt and I can scout out now to make myself more knowledgeable about the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was willing to go anywhere honestly just figured there had to be places around carson and Mt St Helen's area. I have been interested in muzzleloader hunting. But figured with the cost of moving and housing I'd stick with my 270.

Well...the thing that sucks is a bunch of the best areas are timber company lands and many charge access fees now. Weyerhauser
posts them for sale and they go fast. Gifford Pinchot National Forest is open to hunting. With the access limitations of timber company lands, public areas can get crowded. Hunting further from the road ups your chances.

If there's an early snow, the elk will come down to lower elevations. If there's been no snow, I start looking up higher.

Your best bet is to try next season to get a Weyerhaeuser access permit for St. Helens or another area close to you. Go check on their website and start looking around at a place you would like to hunt and go for the access pass in that area. You'll have access for scouting and hunting with that. It's not cheap though but there are less people. As far as getting a license etc. You just go to a sporting goods store and as long as you are considered a resident you can get everything you need. Thirdly, at this time all hunters ed is online. WDFW has all the info you'll need in getting that going...Good luck!

You buy tags in WA the same way you do in OR. Which you're question ""How do you get a license?"" is suspicious... Since you ""I have hunted in eastern Oregon all my life."" Unless of course you've been playing, without paying :s0123:. On the topic of hunters safety class. You should double check with WDFW but you might be grandfathered into not having to take it. I know WA residences CAN be grandfathered, but you being non-perm residence yet, dunno? If you're into bears i do know a few years ago WDFW did a thermal flyover study and found the Long View area held the highest concentration of black bears in WA state. Also research SE WA for elk... I hear the Blue Mountains that extend into WA hold some big bulls out there but they're way way back and be prepared for tons of trucks at the trailheads.... Good luck:s0155:

Last Edited:
Finding a new hunting party that will take a stranger in may or may not happen right away.
You might be able to fast track yourself by snooping around here (see link below) and asking questions.
If you can get around the right people and you pass the Sniff Test, they might take you in or at least point you in the right direction.

I don't recommend paying to hunt on private land, that just encourages more of it and hunting shouldnt be for the priveledged. Washington has plenty of public land to hunt on, close to you is the Yacolt Burn State Forest and then the Gifford Pinchot National Forest... between those two you can find plenty of areas to hunt and get away from the crowds.
Just look for a hunting unit that is mostly public land and your good. Here is a good resource for finding that, the green and blue overlay is all public lands...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top