JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
well i know the older models have a different front sight on them, it's just a thin rail type thing. The newer ones have a sight that is kind of boxed in by two other pieces of metal on either side (sorry I don't know the technical terms for these parts, but if you look at either one you'll see what I mean). Also the newer ones have thicker barrels I believe.

The new and improved Mini-14 started with 580-xxxxx serial numbers, so that's a foolproof way to tell.

The older ones have the 'pencil' straight barrels, and the 580's the newer 'tapered' heavier barrel. It's not immediately obvious unless you're looking for it. Go to GunBroker, look at a bunch of pictures of older and newer types for sale and you'll see the difference.

This forum: http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/

is (as far as I know) the best place on the 'net for Mini-14 discussion and knowledge, when I just looked it had over 13,000 threads on the Mini-14.

I learned a lot there when I was shopping for mine.

some of the info. that i have picked up on the mini 14-as i have owned 2 so far and intend to get me a new one soon-the "180" an "181" do not have scope mnts on the top of receiver,and the aftermkt. side mnts don't seem to want to stay tight-best to scratch that idea-any of the mini's that have the letters "GB" along with the serial #s are gov. issue-good ones to hang onto.the "182" was brought into production(i think) in 2003, with all kinds of added attractions-including the scope mnt on top of receiver-hope this helps-
steven

It's actually only the Ranch Rifle version that has the integrated scope mounts, at least on models older than 2001. A standard Mini-14 or GB will not have any scope mount, unless it is the newest series. On older guns, the standard versions have better rear sights than the Ranch Rifles. The series is noted by the first 3 #'s of the serial# as mentioned above. GB are very valueable and an old model GB will fetch $750.00 to this day. The GB has a bayonet lug on it also.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top