JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ranb - have you played with tuning the design by moving the flange position a bit and/or changing the size and angle of the gas ports? Just curious what kind of results you may have gotten.

I make my baffles based in part on what I see on the internet from other designs and modify them to ensure I can make something that is durable on my lathe. I don't have the required noise testing equipment (it is expensive) to properly test anything I make. Making new parts for an existing silencer requires payment of another $200 tax, so my experimentation is limited to making each silencer and seeing how well it works.

So far I only have three failures out of sixteen; my 9mm, AK and 458 socom cans. The 9mm was made without a recoil booster and has been greatly eclipsed by the improvements in tech over the last tens years since I made it. It works just fine on my 22lr guns and the 1895 Nagant revolver though. The other two I made too short. The rest work fine.

My silencers tend to be a bit larger and heavier than most commercial cans of the same caliber out there. But they are a tenth of the price (before tax) and making them is lots of fun.

Ranb

FWIW, I've heard rumors of decibel meter apps for smart phones. Haven't fully researched it though.
I have heard of them too, but they are not useful for testing loud impulse noise like that from firearms.

Here is some good info on noise testing. Quicksilver Manufacturing LLC Rifle Silencer Sound Testing If you read anything about a gun being less than 100 decibels
then it was done with an improper meter or set too far away (check out Metrogun's tests from 100 feet away). Claims of 70-80 decibels from WWII era guns are the results of inadequate equipment.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR